Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • This scrappage scheme – is it just a con?
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That’s £85 more than £150 per month.

Seems to be quite a long way from close?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes, I know it amortises to £235 per month over the term

So not £150 a month then 🙂

bensales
    Free Member

People only ever look at the headline 🙂 The poster above who stated the 150 in the first place forgot to include depreciation in his 180 per month cost of his car. Assuming he was on about a Golf, I’d guess a 10 year old Golf is probably worth about 3 grand now. Making his actual cost per month around £300.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The poster above who stated the 150 in the first place forgot to include depreciation in his 180 per month cost of his car.

He didn’t. Monthly cost was initial purchase price+maintenance etc divided by 120 months. He based it on the 10 year old car being worth £0 though which isn’t right.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a new car after months of dithering…

Visits to dealers involved a lot of “chat” about “scrappage” schemes when in reality there is no such thing as a scheme.
    It’s a new name for Part Exchange.

Quite why dealers are diverting the truth is not a surprise at all, but you should be happy informed before you walk into a showroom shouldn’t you.

Last “paper” released by this current incarnation of a Government was “consultative” only and share views on cutting pollution in cities only and no comment made about any structure of a scrappage scheme, mere reference to it as “an option to be considered alongside other methods of cutting pollution”

But, we all knew that right ?

toby1

Well I can’t decide whether to move on my £2k 122k miler to replace it with a GT86 when all I mainly do is drive it to a train station about 14 miles a way each day to sit in a car park for the day. Especially as it’s a diesel and goes weeks without needing more fuel!

I’d probably buy outright on finance or a loan though as I haven’t got the cash to do it upfront.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Visits to dealers involved a lot of “chat” about “scrappage” schemes when in reality there is no such thing as a scheme.
    It’s a new name for Part Exchange.

Yes, but I do wonder if the dealer is legally obliged to scrap the car?

simon_g

Yes, but I do wonder if the dealer is legally obliged to scrap the car?

Of course not, it’s not a Government scheme so they can do whatever they like with them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I know it’s not, just not sure of the benefit of calling it ‘scrappage’.

Drac

They have to scrap them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do they, or do they just Auction them ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

They have to scrap them.

based on what ? only the government backed scrapage scheme mandates that they must be scrapped.

currently all that is happening is that they are buying your vehicle and
    in their small print disposing of it responsibly

Drac

Well have is probably the wrong word but the idea the companies have is to scrap them to get them off road as part of a green incentive. Hence the term scrapppage.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I also noticed (in my quest) that some dealers were only accepting anything less than Euro4 compliant as part of thier “scrappage” scheme, now to my very rudimentary knowledge that places diesels of 10yrs plus .. no?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Think it’s anything built pre 2009.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How many perfectly usable cars will be “scrapped” sorry I mean shipped to Africa….

Gary_M
    Free Member

How many perfectly usable cars will be “scrapped” sorry I mean shipped to Africa….

Mine is ‘perfectly usable’ but it will need a fair bit of money spent to get through its mot in December. As I said before I could spend the money on it but its done around 170k and it’s still on the original clutch. Something expensive will go pop soon.

I’m not keen on the idea of scrapping it to be honest, it works and it looks good for it’s age, but it’s the sensible thing to do from a cost perspective.

And I don’t think my car would do very well in africa, the suspension is ******

Drac

Maybe you could enlighten us?

doris5000

Maybe you could enlighten us?

it’s a very good business opportunity. Head down to a large scrap yard, buy cars that still go but aren’t legal on UK roads (or maybe aren’t economical to repair), get them to a country with less stringent regulations, profit.

I know of some guys doing this for years. Started with vanloads of spare parts, driving them to their ex-soviet country and flogging the parts on street bazaars. Now they’re shipping containers of stuff and plenty of whole cars. Early 2000s Mercs seem particularly popular…

trail_rat
    Free Member

And I don’t think my car would do very well in africa, the suspension is ******

you have not been to africa have you – im writing this from angola.

IF the vehicle will move under its own power then it is worth good money. ive been in pug 405s which feel not only like your sat directly on the rear axle but as if that rear axles moving left and right as you go down the road.

regularly go to the shops in buses where you can see the tire tread on the rear wheels through the wheel arches under your seat.

nissan bluebirds with gravity fed carburettors fed from a pop bottle fixed to the window frame and being topped up by the passenger….

quality engineering.

suspension on everything so banjoed that its not unusual to see cars at the side of the road where wishbones have just given up – saw a modern looking f250 just colapse onto its belly going over a speedbump – it had just had enough ! wish bone just folded like a wet newspaper.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above “scrappage” cars will be shipped to Africa, Malaysia etc. It really makes no environmental sense to scarp a working or even a repairable car.

wilburt
    Free Member

They are not scrapping the cars and none of these deals are about reducing emissions.

Car sales are in meltdown, kids dont want them, middle age people cant afford them and old folk are dying off.

Those who can afford them dont want IC its old hat like buying CD’s.

Hence the relentless marketing trying to shift this old tech.

prettygreenparrot

They are not scrapping the cars and none of these deals are about reducing emissions.

Car sales are in meltdown, kids dont want them, middle age people cant afford them and old folk are dying off.

Those who can afford them dont want IC its old hat like buying CD’s.

Hence the relentless marketing trying to shift this old tech.

sounds about right.

salad_dodger

Welcome to the forum.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Since this has been resurrected 🙂

They are scrapping the cars, well at least Ford are.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘This scrappage scheme – is it just a con?’ is closed to new replies.