Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 722 total)
  • This Obesity Thing
  • AdamW
    Free Member

I’m not sure flap_jack should be posting in a thread about obesity. Likely to get eaten! 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Disease in this case doens’t mean there’s something wrong their bodies, it means there’s something wrong with their mind.

To be fair to the big boned, there’s nothing wrong with their minds. Doing as little as possible while stuffing your face is definitely a useful evolutionary trait.

Burning calories for no good reason and avoiding food is a sign of idiocy.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s the food manufacturers fault.
    It’s caused by modern lifestyles.
    It’s the governments fault for closing playing fields.
    It’s the computer game companies causing sedentary children.
    It’s the portion sizes in restaurants.
    It’s the higher sugar content in drinks.
    It’s the media’s fault for making sweating/sports unnatractive to women.

Actually it’s none of the above, the blame lies at the feet of the lazy fat carcasses who shovel shite food in their gobs yet like to blame something else because it’s easy, just like its easy to shove another cake in your gob, like its easy to sit on your fat quivering arse.

TheNorthernMonkey
    Free Member

ITS THE SUGAR.

That kinda sums it up really,but can I point everyone towards Robert Lustig’s book “Fat Chance”.
    In very recent times the amount of refined sugar in our industrialised diets has skyrocketed. Our bodies are not evolved to cope with this – we assume we need to store it for the lean winter months. And so we do – all 27 stone of it..
    Yes, exercise is vital but it’s not the only thing.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Unfortunately our caveman brains are still evolving to catch up with 24 hour Tesco and food available on tap. It will gorge itself on any available calories just in case it’s not there tomorrow. Then when you start to diet, it goes into shock, thinking a famine is on the way, and stores all of the recent intake as hard to move storage fat. Basic survival.

Biology and evolution are not our friends here.

Exactly. We can sit here press a few buttons and 2500 calories will arrive on your doorstep in 30 minutes. Compare this to people in Zambia climbing 100’s feet for honey. (They are not overweight.)

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve got reasonably fat over the last few years. It is actually pretty easy to do, as you fall out of good habits for a variety of reasons. I do have a bit of sympathy for people who get stuck in the loop and struggle to get out. I have more sympathy for mrsmith and 5th Elephant, as there is no diet which can control the part of the brain that makes you think like a ****. Perhaps surgery?

geoffj

MrSmith – Member
    It’s the food manufacturers fault.
    It’s caused by modern lifestyles.
    It’s the governments fault for closing playing fields.
    It’s the computer game companies causing sedentary children.
    It’s the portion sizes in restaurants.
    It’s the higher sugar content in drinks.
    It’s the media’s fault for making sweating/sports unnatractive to women.

Actually it’s none of the above, the blame lies at the feet of the lazy fat carcasses who shovel shite food in their gobs yet like to blame something else because it’s easy, just like its easy to shove another cake in your gob, like its easy to sit on your fat quivering arse.

It’s interesting to see the usually eloquent and open minded members cave in to their prejudices so easily when the right buttons are pressed. Sad really.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s interesting to see the usually eloquent and open minded members cave in to their prejudices so easily when the right buttons are pressed. Sad really.

Sorry I didn’t realise it was a thyroid/genetic/psychological/other condition* that made you a bloater.

*delete as appropriate

Perhaps surgery?

Gastric band?

bearnecessities

Has anyone watched Wall-e?

Maybe a bit flippant, but for a simple explanation of current trends, that basically sums it up!

MrSmith
    Free Member

This thread is making me hungry

bearnecessities

^^ Well that overshadows any concerns I had about flippancy.

miketually
    Free Member

Blaming individuals isn’t the answer, and bullying or bribing individuals won’t make and difference. We need a wholesale change in the way our transport infrastructure is set up, to drive us all toward active travel. We need major changes to food labelling and taxation to stop us eating so much sugar.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Blaming individuals isn’t the answer

And blaming the processed food manufacturers/government is?

to stop us eating so much sugar.

Don’t eat high sugar/fat foods then.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is it because people don’t care what they eat and food companies don’t care what they produce. Its a common theme which covers lots of issues… Its called nobody really cares.

gee
    Free Member

You are responsible for what you put in your mouth.

Eat healthily, it isn’t hard. Preparing dinner tonight took me 30 mins plus 25 mins cooking. Not expensive ingredients either – chicken breasts. £3.33, cans of beans. £1, onions and garlic £1, stock and herbs £0.50 rice £0.50 cabbage £0.50, carrots. £0.25. 4 large helpings at less than £2 per helping. Good luck getting a decent ready meal for £2.

Do some proper exercise. Agreed that a lot of gym goers think that 15 mins on minimal resistance is exercise.

GB

IanW
    Free Member

If you’re suggesting riding a horse is harder work than walking, it begs the question why did people ride them around all over the place for centuries?

Because for similar effort you travel much further.

Flippancy aside; the horse, the industrial revolution, industrialising food production, credit revolution, whatever point you want to blame we are victims of our own success.

Every gain in child mortality or life expectancy has come at cost which we are now reaping.

bernard
    Free Member

Blaming individuals isn’t the answer, and bullying or bribing individuals won’t make and difference. We need a wholesale change in the way our transport infrastructure is set up, to drive us all toward active travel. We need major changes to food labelling and taxation to stop us eating so much sugar.

Or alternatively people need to take responsibility for how many pizza and biscuits they eat and stop expecting someone else to fix it for them.

zippykona

2 things…
    First off ,when I’m swimming I see the ladies doing aquarobics. This consists of repeatedly touching your shoulders and talking for half an hour. At no point is a sweat raised.
    Second no one on The Burma Railway “couldn’t lose weight.”

MrSmith
    Free Member

Or alternatively people need to take responsibility for how many pizza and biscuits they eat and stop expecting someone else to fix it for them.

Evidently people have trouble with this basic task of moderation and taking control of their lives.

MicArms

As a dietician doc friend of mine so eloquently put it, no fat people came out of Belsen.

crush83
    Free Member

no fat people came out of Belsen.

not many alive ones either 🙄

KonaTC

In the words of Harvey Walden IV “eat less move more”

[video]http://youtu.be/zyd7a_Hdr-4[/video]

Simples

gee
    Free Member

I don’t get cross about a lot of things. However, very fat people and smokers really do wind me up, mainly because you eat (quite literally) into the NHS budget and delay things like hip ops for my grandad.

My sister in law has quite bad cerebral palsy and epilepsy and lives on disability benefits, so is by no means rich. She decided she wanted to lose some weight and so bought healthy food and did 25-30mins a day on a £30 stepper machine. She lost several stone and is now a much healthier weight. If she can do it there are no excuses for anyone else.

Sort it out, people.

GB

miketually
    Free Member

I prefer policy by evidence, rather than bullying and internet-opinion. Studies show that asking people to take individual responsibility doesn’t work.

Look at smoking; how did we hugely turn around the numbers smoking? Was it individuals taking responsibility, or was it a combined campaign of taxation, education and a level of prohibition?

BigSteve
    Free Member

I’m glad to see that everyone has a really good understanding of obesity. You don’t have a **** clue. Live the life and then understand.

If it was so easy the country would be full of people the “normal” size.

This thread shows the sort of short sighted bigotry that obese people have to face on a daily basis.

kimbers

+1 miketually, well said

vermillion
    Free Member

Like Postierich,I’m becoming fattist too.People are just letting themselves go and becoming lazy.Some people were always meant to be fat no matter how hard they try to lose it,I know people like this and I sympathise.Others choose to be fat through gluttony,lack of willpower,zero motivation.Some of them may blame health issues but it’s probably their obesity that caused them initially.
    My blood boils when I see a bariatric on a mobility scooter stuffing their face with a supersize burger and chips.

brooess
    Free Member

It’s complex but at the heart of it is too many people taking on more calories than they need for the amount of physical activity they do each day. Which is very simple really, but the behaviours behind it are very complex…

I do think lack of education has a fair bit to do with it – as in education about how to prepare healthy meals, how to make healthy choices in the supermarket and the canteen and how to make the best of all your opportunities to burn calories during the day. e.g. in the station where you have the choice of a single flight of stairs and an escalator, how many people take the stairs?

I suspect that self-esteem may have a fair bit to do with it too – people describe getting fat as ‘letting themselves go’. No-one I know who’s out of shape is proud of it…

Someone needs to explain what it’ll do to GDP – obesity reduces productivity (increased absence from illness) and as healthcare is provided by the State, means higher taxes. It also means we have to import productive labour e.g. Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians. I think government need to be a bit more forceful and overt about the consequences… it’s going to kick our standard of living in the nuts

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gastric band?

No, that stops bile from coming out of your stomach. You need something to stop the bile coming out of your mouth.

MikeWW
    Free Member

At 51 and doing 3000-5000 miles a year on the bike and eating reasonably healthily I have been surprised to start putting on some weight ( 5 10 and 76.5 KG)

I don’t think it is as easy as some suggest.

After doing some research I also realised how little I actually knew and just what the food industry is doing. How many people really understand the influence of carbs on body fat as opposed to calories? How few carbs the average person needs to consume and the consequence of excess? The amount of sugar in product and why food marketed as low fat is just so bad.

There is a massive educational job to be done and some major changes in legislation to be made if there is going to be any dent in the current trend.

BTW I am now around 3.5KG lighter after just less than a couple of weeks but have had to be pretty disciplined for this relatively modest reduction. ( no alcohol, bread, milk, potatoes, drinks ( other than water, green tea and black coffee), chocolate etc)

bernard
    Free Member

I prefer policy by evidence, rather than bullying and internet-opinion. Studies show that asking people to take individual responsibility doesn’t work.

Look at smoking; how did we hugely turI prefer policy by evidence, rather than bullying and internet-opinion. Studies show that asking people to take individual responsibility doesn’t

Good for you, I expect people to take responsibility for their actions and not blame everyone else.

MrSmith
    Free Member

No, that stops bile from coming out of your stomach. You need something to stop the bile coming out of your mouth.

All sorted.

legend
    Free Member

BigSteve – Member
    I’m glad to see that everyone has a really good understanding of obesity. You don’t have a **** clue. Live the life and then understand.

Become fat so I understand? As much as I will often take any excuse to justify a McDonalds, I think I’ll pass on your offer thanks

For the record, I’ve been fattist for years

PMK2060

Why are there so few fat people in Japan? Judging by what they sell in the supermarkets I would guess it’s solely down to their diet and self control. Supermarkets in the UK stock crap because we demand it.

bearnecessities

Supermarkets in the UK stock crap because we demand it they, and suppliers, get away with it.

crikey
    Free Member

Supermarkets in the UK stock crap because we demand it they get away with it people buy it.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Why are there so few fat people in Japan? Judging by what they sell in the supermarkets I would guess it’s solely down to their diet and self control. Supermarkets in the UK stock crap because we demand it.

Yes diet is massively different and far more emphasis on protein ( as China)

I’m not sure about the supermarket point. How can it be right that it is cheaper to buy processed food rather than fresh? If budgets are tight and preperation time is a lot less what do people do?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There’s another reason for exercise – it may help avoid Alzheimer’s Disease, as may a sensible diet.

BigSteve
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Become fat so I understand? As much as I will often take any excuse to justify a McDonalds, I think I’ll pass on your offer thanks

For the record, I’ve been fattist for years

I take it that you have never had a weight problem then. You’ve never had to suffer the daily abuse by mindless morons (and a lot of then seem to reside on this forum) who think, just because you are fat you are stupid, lazy, smelly and any number of other adjectives. You won’t understand the spiral that being overweight gets you into. You won’t understand how hard it is to actually lose weight, nor that the body actually goes through periods of not losing weight despite only giving it 800 calories a day. And that during those periods the despondency that sets in. No – didn’t think so.

NZCol

As a skinny whippet it came as a shock to me to find i had got a bit fat, overtly – bit of a spare tyre and jowls. Reduction in exercise due to time issues and inability to control eating as i have never had to.
    I can totally see how it would be easily to mentally get stuck in a rut. The only way out though is to take ownership and do something about it.
    Eat better, cut carbs and high sugar out etc. walk up and down the stairs instead of taking the lift, walk to the shops etc. There is no excuse really but it does require some effort.
    Fwiw i looked long and hard at my eating habits – we cook every night and rarely eat takeaways, ready meals don’t really exist here either. I did drink quite a lot of beer and had just lost a bit of focus. I did a bit of 5:2 stuff, chopped out beer midweek, cut out high carb dinners etc and reduced a few sugary things. Seems to be visibly working and i do actually feel a lot better. I has been an adjustment but nothing hard is easy !
    I grew up being seriously bullied about being skinny (and ginger !) so give me a break cos picking on fatties is no different to picking on skinnies. The world needs to MTFU and stop trying to blame others for their own issues. Take responsibility and make a change.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 722 total)

The topic ‘This Obesity Thing’ is closed to new replies.