Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • This MTB and beer thing..
  • crispedwheel
    Free Member

Really? We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped. But they are great fun.

Doesn't sound that sociable to me – dropping people I mean. Although I guess if all know that's the case before the ride, then the social part is chatting before and after the ride, rather than the ride itself.

RealMan
    Free Member

I bet the riders you enjoy dropping in some dark woodland with no idea where they are, just love it.

We do wait for people when that happens obviously. I think we've only ever lost one guy.

Why shouldn't I ??

Sorry but I don't really care what you do tbh, I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were.

finbar
    Free Member

It annoys me as well, but just to reinforce some other stereotypes i'm more of a roadie than an mtber.

coogan
    Free Member

It annoys you? Why? Nothing to do with you what other people do after a ride.

RealMan
    Free Member

then the social part is chatting before and after the ride, rather than the ride itself.

Well no not really. I don't know why a lot of people think they can only chat when riding if they're going under 5mph.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I prefer a nice cold strongbow

no such thing

RealMan
    Free Member

no such thing;

Keep your beard on.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Post ride pints? Stupid idea. Never done it, never wanted to. Beer is the last thing you want after a ride.

😯

DOES

NOT

COMPUTE

You might as well have a few post ride fags IMO if you're going to drink alcohol after a ride. I enjoy alcohol as much as the next guy, but I can still understand that the mixing of the two is pointless.

Ok then I will!

And I won't worry about what others think about it. I'll just beat them up the hills. On my singlespeed. Then have a cig at the top as I wait for them. 😀

crispedwheel
    Free Member

. I don't know why a lot of people think they can only chat when riding if they're going under 5mph.

Not the point I was making or suggesting. Quite difficult for the

people who do get dropped.

to chat to others during the ride.

RealMan
    Free Member

Motivates them to get fitter. Going slow is boring.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

I ride bikes. I drink beer. Therefore i do.

D0NK

Really? We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped. But they are great fun.

social ride fail, thats a training ride, social rides are when you wait for each other at top of climbs bottom of descents etc.

Post training ride = water, tea, recovery drink/shake if you must.

Post social ride = beer/alcoholic beverage of your choice (assuming you don't have to drive)

If none of this social stuff computes then I guess you just don't get what most people call social riding. That's OK each to their own, try hanging out with roadies they'll probably get you more –
    not that I'm suggesting you give up mtb.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Listen son. When you've grown up a bit, got a few hairs on yer lip (and yer other bits if you're very lucky), had a few more experiences in life, and had time to reflect; then you might start to understand why people enjoy doing things that make no sense to you.

Until then, try to remember that you're very young, and don't know it all. And you know what? You never will. But one day, you'll know more than you do now.

Now run along and get them papers delivered, you cheeky young whippersnapper!

Eee, the kids of today, eh? 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, and congrats on the troll. Superb! 😉

finbar
    Free Member

It annoys you? Why? Nothing to do with you what other people do after a ride.

No it isn't, and i'm not averse to going to the pub after a ride either.

BUT, the Privateer spiel basically implies you're not a proper MTBer unless you associate biking and beer, and that is b0ll0x.

RealMan
    Free Member

social ride fail, thats a training ride, social rides are when you wait for each other at top of climbs bottom of descents etc.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. In your idea of a social ride, everyone gets split up on the descents and the climbs? In our idea of a social ride, everyone sticks together for the whole ride except for anyone who's not quite fit enough to keep up, then gets waited for.

_tom_
    Free Member

Post ride pints? Stupid idea. Never done it, never wanted to. Beer is the last thing you want after a ride.

You sound like fun 0_0 the first thing I want after a ride is a bacon sandwich, closely followed by a cold pint.

theflatboy
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

You might as well have a few post ride fags IMO if you're going to drink alcohol after a ride.

your O is it a bit of a peculiar non sequitur, IMO.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

a cold pint

After a good ride is truly one of Life's Joys. Can't beat it.

I think 'Real'Man is just miffed because he can barely remember his own name after half a shandy, bless the little flower. 😉

DaRC_L

A real man doesn't need to ask the question 😆

however in the early days of MTB some bright spark produced a crossover with acid house; producing wild liberty cap mushroom rides 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mushrooms….

Actually, riding a bike on Acid is another of Life's Joys. Now that truly is something amazing.

Wonder what RealMan would make of that? 😯

Splash-man
    Free Member

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. In your idea of a social ride, everyone gets split up on the descents and the climbs? In our idea of a social ride, everyone sticks together for the whole ride except for anyone who's not quite fit enough to keep up, then gets waited for.

…except for when you drop them for fun !
    Get your facts straight one way or the other before you spout 😉

13thfloormonk

The most consistent highlights of my many (if I do say so myself) cross country camping trips on the bike have been the pubs, and the beers and people there-in.

If cycling is only an athletic endevour to you then you should either be winning every race you enter or giving up. Alternatively you could drink, smoke, maybe even take your gears off, and enjoy it.

(although smoking after a road ride does seem a little perverse, I've tried!)

RealMan
    Free Member

except for when you drop them for fun !

It is fun, yeah. Much more fun then averaging 5mph.

soulrider
    Free Member

There are pictures of me somwhere on the internerd cruising the trails between Kingussie and Newtonmore with a large can of Stella in hand (there was no real beer to be had) my beard was freshly shaven that morning.

I shortly followed this activity by climbing into a canoe (yes one of those open things) and spent the next few hours trying not to drop my beer as we paddled down the spey.
    Next morning I had a stinking hangover but led the climb up to the Larig Ghru where we had a blast… then headed back to Glenfeshie and climbed some hill there, and had a beer at the top.

screaming back down the hill we ended up back in Kingussie, filthy, happy and went for more beer!(i got a proper one this time none of that lager pish or fruity rubbish)

I was one of the guides 😀

Cracking weekend.

D0NK

everyone sticks together for the whole ride except for anyone who's not quite fit enough to keep up, then gets waited for.

You're the one who said you "drop" your riding associates, once someone is dropped you generally never see them again, I think what you mean is that 1 or 2 are a little slower up hills than the main group.

Pierre

Is no-one else amused by the fact that this thread was started by someone calling himself "RealMan" who appears to be a child? All right, legally maybe he's just about an "adult".

oh, and

smacks of over-testosteroned over-competitiveness. Going slow is ace sometimes, especially with mates, especially with nice scenery, especially with a pint or two and a natter at the end of it. IMO.

RealMan, might I suggest you take up triathlons? There's plenty of room for joyless willy-waving health-freakery over there. The sort of thing a "Real Man" could really get into…

: P

Splash-man
    Free Member

except for when you drop them for fun !

It is fun, yeah. Much more fun then averaging 5mph.

I agree there are times when you want to go fast but there are also time when its good to slow down and appreciate the countryside and your company. Infact if you are clever you even put all of these together into one enjoyable ride and still keep a good average speed.

Maybe you are riding with the wrong people ??????

Actually this would only motivate me to drop you as a cycling partner

D0NK

now now pierre nowt wrong with a bit of "over-testosteroned over-competitiveness" every now and again 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The youth of today eh? Have you never had 10 pints and then try and race your mate back from the pub? Loads of fun. 4 pints before a ride makes it feel like you're floating, even on a rigid singlespeed, at least until you get to the first hill.

Wheelies are pretty pointless too, but good fun.

Pierre

Sorry Donk, I know, do not feed the troll…

Nevertheless, I suddenly had in mind that moment in Family Guy where Joe gets new legs and suddenly gets into EXTREME SPORTS YEAAAAAHHHH!!!!

: P

Edit: found it – http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c361b2b2eb/family-guy-joe-swanson-s-new-legs

spacemonkey

Beer after a solo ride makes me feel dirty, so I wait a couple of hours or so while I rehydrate/eat/freshen up etc.

But beer after a social ride is fine, even more so in front of a rolling pub fire in winter.

singlespeedstu

One of the great joys of a cold winter ride.
    A pub with a nice fire and a few pints before wobbling home.

2010_0110gopropubfire0001 on Flickr

BontyBuns
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – That looks awesome.

juan
    Free Member

One of the few things I miss about the UK is post ride beer drinking, covered in shite, with mates and the craic that goes with it……

That's cause you have not been riding with the correct people 😉 Viens rouler avec moi 😉
    I can't guaranty the "covered in shite though". But I assure you I'll make sure you've earned your beer (or wine, we french are more wine people 😉 ).

thebunk

RealMan, what's your ideal après mtb activity then? Just interested like – can't think of anything better after a long muddy ride than a pint with mates.

Maybe a pie.

And chips.

And cake, I must have cake.

*nom*

Kamikirk
    Free Member

It's simple for me. I like riding my bike fast, slow, falling off whatever it's all good. I also like relaxing with a beer with my mates so a post ride beer is perfect.

The biochemistry of it or the physiology is irrelevant, combining two fun things is great. Who cares if a bottle of warm milk and a blankie is better for recovery… i'll enjoy my Trail to Ale:)

thebunk

It's science that anything drunk or eaten post exercise (up to a week afterwards) is converted into healthy muscle and brain gunk.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

juan
    Free Member

RealMan, what's your ideal après mtb activity then?

I bow down your correct use of the è */bowing smiley/*

thebunk

8)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘This MTB and beer thing..’ is closed to new replies.