Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • This morning my bike and I were denied access to…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

A shopping centre, the post office and a supermarket. I was not riding, all places were empty, so much for ‘bike friendly’ Britain. What possible harm could come of a man pushing his bike through a sparsely populated shopping centre…

sugdenr
    Free Member

That’s outrageous, next they will be stopping you from taking it into virtually empty restaurants, museums, swimming pools and pubs 🙄

elaineanne
    Free Member

wot did they want you to do leave it outside the building for it to get stolen 🙄 they’ve just no idea how much we love our bikes. :mrgreen: 😉

binners

I’ve been known to receive objections from me bringing mine into peoples kitchens. The selfish inconsiderate gits

Then someone pointed out this

Outdoors….

indoors…

and I sort of understood.

Anyway… are you sure they weren’t just refusing you entry because you’re a scouser? 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I understand objections if I were riding it round inside, but it was being pushed.

JEngledow
    Free Member

but it was being pushed.

Next time just claim it’s your novelty Zimmer-frame, this will cause the jobs worth’s head to explode as they’ve been told not to let bikes in, but they’ve also been told to be nice to the disabled 🙄

Pook

maybe if you’d promised to float about 2cm off the ground like all those people in Binners’ second picture they’d have been ok about it.

rusty90
    Free Member

I hope you told them you were a Tory MP and called them scum.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What possible harm could come of a man pushing his bike through a sparsely populated shopping centre…

It might be the catalyst to people waking up and realising TV, retail therapy and cars are all bum, leading to the collapse of the consumer led oil economy and unleashing an army of fit and healthy free thinkers.

Next time think of the consequences… 🙄

sugdenr
    Free Member

I understand objections if I were riding[u]pushing[/u] it round inside, but it was being pushed[u]carried[/u].

There. That’s where you went wrong. Still, you’ll know for next time.

Pleasure!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

antigee

Pook – Member
    maybe if you’d promised to float about 2cm off the ground like all those people in Binners’ second picture

the architect had everyone on skateboards

plyphon
    Free Member

Take the front wheel off.

“Oh no – you must be mistaken; this isn’t a bike – it’s *parts* of a bike!”

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You should have said you’d just bought it from the Halfords in the shopping centre.

belugabob
    Free Member

Imagine how I felt when my wife and I discovered that you’re not allowed to take bikes onto Brighton pier (no – not even just pushing them, which we were already doing)

Needless to say, Fish & Chips were purchased elsewhere.

rOcKeTdOg

you can’t order from a macdonalds drive thru whilst sitting astride a bike either, even if there is no one behind you in the queue, they refused to sell me a milkshake but i was welcome to walk into the restaurant, i informed the manager (who just happened to be there behind the poor guy serving) where he could stick his shake, that was 11 years ago and i’ve never darkened their door step since

cookeaa

Were you really refused access because you had a bicycle with you…
    Or did you forget to mention that you were in the buff in your OP, and the presence of a bike was really just incidental?

binners

rocketdog – You’re cutting your nose off to spite your face. You won’t have tried the Mozzerella dippers then? You don’t know what you’re missing

Sandwich

Binners, the op appears to have been a success. If that’s what a diet of Greggs does I’ll stay away.

danrandon
    Free Member

I was refused entry to the bedroom with the bike this morning….. apparently waking the wife at 6am to show her your new cranks just isn’t cricket. 😀

binners

I was once told I couldn’t lock my bike to the table outside the pub ‘for security reasons’

rOcKeTdOg

binners – Member

rocketdog – You’re cutting your nose off to spite your face. You won’t have tried the Mozzerella dippers then? You don’t know what you’re missing

I’d rather eat my own arm

TiRed

Rocketdog, I used to take the kiddyback tandem with a babyseat through the drive through on Sundays evening rides. Made the kids day.

I take my bike into shops, but only very quiet restaurants. Had one issue recently,and I just refused to take it out on the grounds that it took up far less room than the Phil and ted pushchair behind me, and it was far too expensive to lock anywhere. The owner huffed a little, but I finished my ice cream before leaving.

plumber
    Free Member

I was once denied access to Bury shopping mall (near that Binners)

This is when I was already right inside the hall

Cue repetition of

them – you can’t come in here
    me – I’m already here

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Wasn’t allowed to prop my bike up at the back of a conference room – “…s’elf and saftey risk, sir…” 🙄 I’d had it checked for rabies and psychotic tendancies too.

Edric64
    Free Member

Why would you think it ok to take a vehicle into shops ?

cookeaa

Why would you think it ok to take a vehicle into shops ?

A bikes not a vehicle, it’s a piece of sporting equipment, just like a tennis racket, trainers or a crossbow, next you’ll b saying we can’t walk around shopping centres carrying those either…. 🙄

It’s “elves ‘n’ safe tea gone maaad I tells you!!!

Cougar

Same reason as taking a vehicle commonly used for the perambulation of small infants?

sugdenr
    Free Member

A bikes not a vehicle,

A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum[1]) is a mobile machine that transports passengers or cargo. Most often, vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats and aircraft.

From, that there Encyclopaedia Wikitannica

40mpg

Used to take great sport in getting the security guard in the local shopping centre to chase me & my mates around on our bmx’s (back in stupid teenage times) – he’d be yelling off the balcony, ghetting a right puff up chasing us out.

Then I started dating this girl, turned up to a family do, turns out it was her grandad. I don’t think he recognised me, neither of us ever mentioned it, and I stopped doing it. Been married to her 18 years now.

Hmm, the moral of this story? Bikes in shopping centres could end in embarrassment, joint mortgages and two children. Think before you do it.

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

you can’t order from a macdonalds drive thru whilst sitting astride a bike either

They will, however, serve you if you’re being pushed through in a shopping trolley, or for that matter if there’s 4 of you pretending to be a car (complete with sound effects)

Bunnyhop

We’ve just come back from a weeks cycle tour of Belgium where the bike is completely catered for as is the cyclist.

Britain needs to buck it’s ideas up and realise there are more cyclists than ever.

Amazingly a coach load of British people where walking through a park in Ghent, as usual they spilled across the path, a Belgium lady was coming through on her bike ringing her bell, in the end the Brits forced her to dismount, to which a few Brits commented, how she shouldn’t have tried to cycle through/past them. The guide should have pointed out that in Belgium you make way for a cyclist and pay them respect. attitudes need to change.

I think the OP has every right to take his bike into a shopping centre.

fasthaggis

My bike and I were thrown out of the local sauna today.

I missed the sign..

NO SPDs ,at least I think that’s what it said.

cookeaa

Taking the thing semi-seriously for a second, perhaps people are confusing the requirement to not ride a bicycle in indoor / shared public spaces, with a total exclusion of their prescence in those areas…

I mean why can one not be safely pushed in a shopping cntre or post office?

A bicycles tyres will be no more dirty than the soles of your shoes or the wheels of a pushchair and we’re not asked to leave those items at the door are we? Pushing it along you will not be likely to exceed walking pace and hence pose no greater risk to other shoppers than someone with a pushchair or trolley, arguably less as your wheeled item has brakes fitted.

I don’t really see the sensible objection TBH…

ElVino

Security guard wouldn’t let me bring push my bike into Decathlon to buy a bike lock despite the fact they will let kids take bikes for test rides around the store.

Bunnyhop

A horse would be a bad mode of transport to take though a shopping centre and definitely needs tethering outside.

Cougar

Security guard wouldn’t let me bring push my bike into Decathlon

Bit different when they sell them I suppose. “Oh, this? I brought it in with me, honest.”

sugdenr
    Free Member

You obvioulsy missed the sign……

Only bikes[s]food[/s] purchased here allowed[s]can be eaten[/s] in store

Durrr!

jameso

you can’t order from a macdonalds drive thru whilst sitting astride a bike either,

You can in the States ime. Wendy’s drivethrus too, if you’re desperate and hungry. 1 Mcdonalds even opened up for me to go in and sit down despite the restaurant part being shut. Lovin’ it )

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Security guard wouldn’t let me bring push my bike into Decathlon

Tell them you’re taking it to the workshop, then don’t

Fight the power 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘This morning my bike and I were denied access to…’ is closed to new replies.