Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • This missing plane
  • iolo
    Free Member

I can see that it’s very sad to the families of all and they want answers.
    I see on the news there are ships and submarines looking.It seem nobody has any actual idea where it is. What happens if they find it?
    Can’t people just accept the fact that it dropped into the ocean so they can move on with their lives.
    I’m not trying to be heartless. Just realistic.

Jamie
    Free Member

ctk
    Free Member

Can’t people just accept the fact that it dropped into the ocean so they can move on with their lives.

Which people need to accept it? The families? or do you mean the media/ everyone else?

scotroutes

Look on the bright side. With so many of the various military on the hunt for it, at least they are being distracted from shooting at folk (actually, it’s valuable training doing something useful rather than mock exercises).

ricky1
    Free Member

There’s no proof that it happened though that’s the problem,would be better to find evidence so the families can have closure,your not being heartless I feel the same as you about it.

skink2020

Its either in diego garcia. Afghanistan/pakistan. The bottom of the ocean. Or malaysia $&@#’d up and are trying to cover it up. Or ask Jakob Rothschild.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I think it’s more a case of trying to establish why it happened, not just finding it.

Vern0n
    Free Member

If someone / group is capable of making a plane disappear without trace, hiding it for two weeks, kidnapping all on board, I am sure they are capable of dumping the ‘wreckage’ at sea too. Perhaps they will only be found when they want to be found?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The various insurance companies are very interested in finding it to understand who pays out. There are a lot of liabilities outstanding, hundreds of millions of dollars. Also the Airworthiness Authorities to understand what happened. Unfortunately the well-being of the unfortunate families left behind is not the main priority.

ricky1
    Free Member

Worries me how the transponder can be turned off so easily leaving the plane invisible at the flick of a switch,could that happen to any plane,that’s what’s worrying?

cp

If that transponder had been overheating due to a fault and the plane blew up because of it, you’d be saying ‘why can’t stuff like that be turned off at the flick of a switch if needed for safety’

iolo
    Free Member

Surely if you think it’s an insurance claim the insurance firms should be funding this search.

zippykona

If while they are looking for the plane they find my keys can they let me know.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nobody will be the first one to say stop.

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s behind the sofa
    Lost things are always behind the sofa
    Unless that’s the first place you look, then they are never there

dux
    Free Member

I think the search parties should consult my boss, he seems to know a hell of a lot about aviation all of a sudden.

CountZero

There’s no proof that it happened though that’s the problem

I think everyone accepts that it happened, it’s where it happened that’s the issue. Twenty-odd countries looking, with ships, aircraft and satellite, and now a nuclear hunter-killer submarine packing the most sophisticated sonar and passive listening gear, but with no clear idea that where they’re looking is even close to where it disappeared!
    Bear in mind that the ocean floor around there drops to anywhere from 2000 to over 8000 metres.
    That’s over 24,000 feet! As a shipping expert on TV tonight said, it’s like trying to find a suitcase someone dropped in the alps, or probably the Himalayas.
    You’d have a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack just by sitting down on it and bouncing around on your bum!

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t understand why they didn’t start listening with sonar a couple of weeks ago.

…and they have checked on the moon, I suppose?

br
    Free Member

Once you get over the emotional stuff then the authorities want to know ‘how’ to find it, so that they now have the capability in the future – plus why it happened.

A pal of mine is a pilot and once/when they find out why, it may be added to their training – such as the Air France that dropped out of the sky through inexperience and poor training.

sbd16v
    Free Member

and now a nuclear hunter-killer submarine packing the most sophisticated sonar and passive listening gear

she’s a long way from the most sophisticated but its the only thing in that area available that the uk could send lol

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t understand why they didn’t start listening with sonar a couple of weeks ago.

They were looking for signs on the surface, as said the seabed is incredibly mountainous, why add an extra dimension needlessly?

scotroutes

Because they’d have been after the black box in any case, it has limited battery life and the chances of finding it on the surface were effectively nil.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

globalti – Member

…and they have checked on the moon, I suppose?
    Sea is very big… the experts (well all self proclaimed) said that they need a target area to start work with the tracking gear, the tracker has to be towed along really slowly to be any use, hence trying to pick an area to start that is smaller than the Indian ocean, otherwise it’s just random sweeping. They are concentrating on the surface work as that is still much faster than the sub sea work.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The sub-sea sonar kit is towed quite slowly, to reduce noise which would swamp the data, up and down in parallel lines. It’s like mowing a lawn, and perhaps not a lot faster.

Do commercial flights have EPIRBS? Someone on here will know.

revs1972
    Free Member

Watched a piece on the news showing the sub sea sonar kit being lowered off the large ship, then they cut away to 3 blokes in a rubber dingy with a detector on a stick.
    Had a vision of them pinging signals and finding each other

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I reckon the pings so far have come from a Malaysian/Chinese sub deep underwater sending out some fake 37.5mhz pings. 😯

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘This missing plane’ is closed to new replies.