Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • This looks as though it might shake things up a bit
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Great value and right looking full suss for a grand

Looks right, the spec looks amazing for the cash. This looks like one of those potential game changers to me. Hope so, bikes and bits have been getting towards silly expensive for the last two or three years.

beaker

It’s a bikeradar review though… How many adverts for Go Outdoors will there be in the next few months?

sandwicheater

It does look good for £1000.

racefaceec90

if i had the money,i would definitely consider buying one.

40mpg

My Giant Trance X4 was £1000 a few years back, similar level of kit. Its seen some upgrades as stuff wore out, but in terms of bang for buck I can’t fault it – had some great rides and done all sorts on it.

Can be done, and will hopefully give more people the opportunity to develop their skills and get more into the sport.

deviant
    Free Member

Watch the snobs come out of the woodwork.

At that price it looks good, great even….of course the travel and angles aren’t Enduro enough for the Swinley/Surrey Hills crowd where everybody knows you need at least 160mm of bounce and a 65 degree head angle to get down Barry Knows Best….but the rest of the country will see it as a good bike I’m sure.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Watch the snobs come out of the woodwork.

At that price it looks good, great even….of course the travel and angles aren’t Enduro enough for the Swinley/Surrey Hills crowd where everybody knows you need at least 160mm of bounce and a 65 degree head angle to get down Barry Knows Best….but the rest of the country will see it as a good bike I’m sure.

😛

honourablegeorge

Shimano brakes, decent if basic air fork/shock, deore 10 speed with clutch, tubeless ready?

For 1K, that’s a belter.

nairnster
    Free Member

Why are they calling it The Don when it says Bossnut on the frame?

wrecker
    Free Member

I like these little companies coming out and giving things a good stir. It can only be good news for consumers.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Will be watching this one closely. That sounds like a bargain. And nothing beats beasting your overbiked mates on something cheap 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Looks like a great bike for someone looking for a full sus on the CTW.

julians
    Free Member

That looks unbeatable for the money, if it comes out at 1k.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why are they calling it The Don when it says Bossnut on the frame?

They’re still trying to work out which of the two names is the least shit.

£1k bouncy bikes? Have a look at this one as well;

£999 and available from bike shops.

wiggles
    Free Member

Doubt it will shake things up much. Nothing that special really and not sure about what the warranty back up etc would be like.

coomber
    Free Member

Wonder how it rides compared to others at that price, the giant above, norco fluid (slacker?) Or the vitus range.

My issue would be replacement parts and resale value but does look like some potential. Hats off to them.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bit late to this as I’ve been cleaning my hardtail so its ready for the Surrey Hills tomorrow.

I think the bargain fs looks s**t.

dannyh
    Free Member

I like these little companies coming out and giving things a good stir. It can only be good news for consumers.

Agreed. Every so often the big guys need a reality check when they start to think they can take the piss with impunity.

Bit late to this as I’ve been cleaning my hardtail so its ready for the Surrey Hills tomorrow.

Also agreed. I’m a hardtail only Luddite too. The only point to my OP was that it looks a bargain for what it is (Sektor and Monarch on a £1k full suss is relatively unheard of).

I probably wouldn’t buy one myself as rear suss is one more thing that will go wrong when I neglect it. However, if you take a step back and objectively look at what a lot of companies charge for bikes and bits, you can’t help but feel you are being tugged off a lot of the time.

As for warranty etc, I’d be a lot more confident dealing with a large, cross-discipline retailer like Decathlon than I would be with some more niche companies. They would be more likely to be able to swallow warranty costs than someone smaller.

thepodge
    Free Member

I cant see that shaking things up much, its an ok spec but that’s about it.

The big companies haven’t really taken notice of the direct sales guys so a few sales in specific shops at the bottom of the market isn’t going to worry them

deviant
    Free Member

The big companies haven’t really taken notice of the direct sales guys so a few sales in specific shops at the bottom of the market isn’t going to worry them

They should be worried.
    I was at BPW last week and every other bike seemed to be a YT Capra or a YT Tues, there was also a Bird Aeris and a couple of Canyons…..I’d say the direct sales guys are making great inroads.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t see that much of a shake up really, 1500 gets you Spec Camber, there are bikes in the 1000-1200 area that are decent and then you have a bunch of sale bikes coming close.

Agreed. Every so often the big guys need a reality check when they start to think they can take the piss with impunity.

And sometimes people need to look at the lower priced big brand bikes before shouting about how much new stuff costs.

johnnystorm

So the UK’s biggest* outdoor retail chain is a plucky upstart challenging the cycling global megacorps?

*maybe

😆

It does look OK, but so does that Giant. Going by the rest of the bikes in G.O. a Giant from a half decent LBS will be better set up.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah agree with Mike above. It’s only the low volume super gnarrrrr endurowank boutique machines that cost 4k plus.

Loads of decent bikes for normal people around the 1k mark….

See this, much better spec than decathlon:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5522/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-3-2014

dannyh
    Free Member

And sometimes people need to look at the lower priced big brand bikes before shouting about how much new stuff costs.

Maybe, but there’s nothing wrong with having someone else nip at their heels a bit as well(?)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not at all, but

This looks like one of those potential game changers to me. Hope so, bikes and bits have been getting towards silly expensive for the last two or three years.

Does make it sound like you couldn’t buy decent bikes around that price in the last few years. You can so game changer is a little bit of overreach there really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

+1

😀

dannyh
    Free Member

Ahem, I may have had a couple of ales when I put the OP up yesterday evening.

However, I do still think this a quite a standout bike for the price (at least on a very skin deep and spec sheet way).

hora
    Free Member

Some people are happy with a car that cost them 5k. Others £18,000.

Samehere.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks very impressive and sorted for the price, would like to see the full geometry chart. Reminds me of a Saracen visually.

Wonder if they’ll follow it with a 150 or 160mm enduro weapon featuring a Pike and SLX for a few hundred quid more?

padkinson
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Some people are happy with a car that cost them 5k. Others £18,000.

Samehere.

Personally I’m happy with a car that cost £1000, with a bike that’s worth 7 times that on top. 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

looking for a bouncy bike on a budget? that’s got to be on the list…

I was in Go Outdoors Sheffield yesterday, picked up some cycle-comfy softshell shorts for £30. and was more than a little impressed by the bikes.

the Go-outdoors bikeshop has quietly been doing a bloody good job for … 17 years?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘This looks as though it might shake things up a bit’ is closed to new replies.