Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • This is what mountain biking is about :-)
  • philfive
    Free Member

Is this what mountain biking is all about?

I lovely ridge line 🙂

lowhanger
    Free Member

Where is that? Absolutely awesome!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon, isn’t it?

philfive
    Free Member

It’s the view from just past stakes pass towards whiteside, lower man and then helvellyn 🙂

Janesy
    Free Member

I thought that was Bristol. Ashton court? No?

philfive
    Free Member

Yeah it’s Bristol, Are all southerners knobs?

burt
    Free Member

nice reply philfive, it does seem that this place has more than its fair share. that does look awsome.
    (im in the south by the way)

philfive
    Free Member

Lol burt thats why I asked a question at the end 🙂

I put the picture up because it’s the kind of picture you see on magazines but never seem to get them when riding.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Phil,
    The gap between the North and the South is wide enough as it is without starting a fight with the Southerners as well! 🙂
    By the way, nice picture!
    This was taken this morning on the tops of Halifax at 1400 feet.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It looks like the woods at Cannock Chase, the ones where the trees are too close together for anything wider than a 680mm bar.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nahhh, this ride finished with fish+chips on the pier! And the bet bit is it only involves about 100m riding along the high street from my house before you’re on the ‘footpath’ down to the beach 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

I live in Cardiff and assumed that pic was taken somewhere in North England. Where in Bristol was that pic taken? I’d love to go for a spin there.

philfive
    Free Member

Lol I put the picture on and get no response, insult southerners and they all post 🙂 the Halifax pictures is good and is just like the hills next to me house 🙂

faz083
    Free Member

thought that was helvellyn. But actually if you’ve ever ridden that ridge which I’m sure many have, that certainly isn’t what mountain biking is all about (for me at least) horribly rocky and very steep in places, combined with gale force winds and snow in July. But even if it was just the ridge, it’s still bloody wide and not actually particularly enjoyable.

MrOvershoot

I love the bit when you know your finishing down by the lake and its all down 😀

rOcKeTdOg

How slack is that chain on the Swift!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

thought that was helvellyn. But actually if you’ve ever ridden that ridge which I’m sure many have, that certainly isn’t what mountain biking is all about (for me at least) horribly rocky and very steep in places, combined with gale force winds and snow in July. But even if it was just the ridge, it’s still bloody wide and not actually particularly enjoyable

I couldn’t agree more, It’s one of those rides you have to do but in fact there’s loads more, much better rides!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Maybe it’s behind the Dunfermline Building Society in Kirkcaldy?

….or maybe the Halifax?

philfive
    Free Member

Faz your right it was hell but it was the view of the lovely trail going away in the foreground.

philfive
    Free Member

Which route down is that overshoot?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s the one that ends up by the clifton suspension bridge just to the left of the one that leads to Halifax by the rocks

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Where’s that second one MC?

This was was mountain biking was all about yesterday

Loch Voil from Stob Binnein by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Unfortunately so was this

Stob Binnein by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Sanny
    Free Member

Auch, the snow added to the day out! The descent was definitely steep. It’s not often you need to carve turns like skiing to control your speed.

Glenshee 9 next for sure.

OP – you’re right, that IS proper mountain biking!!!!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How slack is that chain on the Swift!

It is quite slack isn’t it! Never dropped it or caused any problems but I’ll go tighten it now just in case I take any more pics!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s what Sheera is headed down in the first pic.

faz083
    Free Member

Faz your right it was hell but it was the view of the lovely trail going away in the foreground.

totally agree, I’ve a video on youtube (shameless plug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n47q6O06B5U&feature=plcp) of my descent via sticks pass which shows this ridgeline for the first couple of minutes. It’s absolutely epic and stood on top of the mountain looking around is great, but I actually got totally fed up tabbing along to the start of sticks pass. it took probably 30 minutes to get along there? And having climbed 800m with my bike, I wasn’t expecting to have to reclimb anything major, but had to do two climbs again! not massive, admittedly, but it wasn’t fun tbh.

Sticks pass was great though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

It’s what Sheera is headed down in the first pic

Ah, got it. Beinn a’Ghlo, heading towards Carn Liath

philfive
    Free Member

Faz

the descent on your video is the way we rode up 😀

grum
    Free Member

Similar ish pic from Helvellyn:

IMG_4563.JPG by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mountain biking is about many things but that photo is right at the top of the list.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘This is what mountain biking is about :-)’ is closed to new replies.