Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • …this is kayak one. do you copy, over?
  • brack
    Free Member

On BBC iplayer again

The haunting story of Andrew Mcauley and his solo attempt of kayaking accross the Southern Ocean from Aus – NZ

I hate watching this documentary…but have been drawn back to it yet again.

Haunting just haunting!

scuttler

Thanks for this. I know the story (spent time in Oz and read Australian Geographic who were heavily involved with him) but never seen this. My adventure mate says it’s the most harrowing film he’s seen so I will watch with caution.

For others who are interested see http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hy0wb/Solitary_Endeavour_on_the_Southern_Ocean/

matt_outandabout

It is an absolutely fascinating film – how? why? and dry up the tears… I still can’t get my head round it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Amazing film saw it at HVAFF – really mesmeric even when you know the ending.

flip
    Free Member

Saw it last night, haunting to say the least.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Agree with all the above, definitely worth seeing though

legend
    Free Member

This should be interesting, it’s the Coastguard broadcasting to ‘all stations’ that’s got my hairs on end already (I’ve be on the end of such calls before, you know something bad is going down right away)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Brief synopsis?

matt_outandabout

The haunting story of Andrew Mcauley and his solo attempt of kayaking accross the Southern Ocean from Aus to NZ

And does not make it, leaving behind wife and young son.

organdonor
    Free Member

5 mins into the journey:

“I’m scared I’ll never see my family again. My son needs a father, my wife needs a husband. I’m wondering why I’m doing this and I don’t have an answer”

Turn around and go back ffs!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Ta.

coffeeking
    Free Member

5 mins into the journey:

“I’m scared I’ll never see my family again. My son needs a father, my wife needs a husband. I’m wondering why I’m doing this and I don’t have an answer”

Turn around and go back ffs!

Those that don’t turn back often achieve great feats and gain a lot from it personally. Some don’t and don’t make it back alive. I’m glad we live in a world where people do such things from time to time.

MrNutt
    Free Member

a very selfish pursuit in the name of pointless recognition no?

organdonor
    Free Member

Those that don’t turn back often achieve great feats and gain a lot from it personally

Greater than having a loving family and friends? Your young son having a father? etc

I understand adventure but when you have a young family it can be selfish and unnecessary, as in this case.

I’m glad we live in a world where people do such things from time to time.

I’m glad none of them are related to me, or anyone I care about.

legend
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    a very selfish pursuit in the name of pointless recognition no?

organdonor – Member
    Greater than having a loving family and friends? Your young son having a father? etc

I understand adventure but when you have a young family it can be selfish and unnecessary, as in this case.

Sorry guys, but if that is how you feel then there’s probably no point in even trying to understand the mentality

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF it seems clear it was incredibly risky and he blinded himself to that before the trip.

geoffj

Sorry guys, but if that is how you feel then there’s probably no point in even trying to understand the mentality

What a bizarre comment – just cos others don’t get ‘it’ doesn’t mean that their opinions aren’t valid.

legend
    Free Member

Back on point. Do we know if the radio message played has been cleaned up? It certainly didn’t come across as too garbled to me, situation and location given. Admittedly a poor mayday but still gave enough info to act on

legend
    Free Member

What a bizarre comment – just cos others don’t get ‘it’ doesn’t mean that their opinions aren’t valid.

Didn’t even suggest that opinions weren’t valid, just that they weren’t ever likely to understand such a mentality

crikey
    Free Member

The mentality that sees an adventure as more important than being a husband and a father? ‘Ave a word.

Looks like a massive amount of running away from real life to me.

geoffj

Didn’t even suggest that opinions weren’t valid, just that they weren’t ever likely to understand such a mentality

Maybe we just understand it in a different way.

organdonor
    Free Member

That’s just it though, I do (kind of) understand the thrill seeker/ explorer mentality.

What I don’t understand is how these people try to mix their ‘stare death in the face’ exploits, with providing the security that a family needs and deserves.

That’s what I find selfish.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Imagine living a life where the only time you can feel like your living a life worth living is when you’re on the edge of death. That’s what that type of person has to deal with.

legend
    Free Member

Crikey, well yes, obviously. Out of interest, whatcha think of astronauts and the like?

geoffj, understanding doesn’t usually have the word “selfish”

crikey
    Free Member

Out of interest, whatcha think of astronauts and the like?

What, you mean those guys who had the backing of the best scientists that the USA and the USSR could provide? The same chaps and chapesses who knew that a significant amount of national pride depended on them going and coming back safely?

I think they were brave, and bold, but I also think they knew that the chances of success were high.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Occasionally mix with some of the mountaineer fraternity that live round here, some are real thousand yard stare merchants, who also seem to have no understanding of the possible consequences for their families of their obsessions.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I am fortunate enough to be friends with one of the worlds best climbers. He does routes that are amongst the most difficult in the world, if not the most difficult.

What he gets out of it is the feeling of control in achieving an ascent and all of the process that leads upto it. Other than that he is normal.

RustyMac

scuttler cheers for the link, just watched it.

Astonishing.

legend
    Free Member

What, you mean those guys who had the backing of the best scientists that the USA and the USSR could provide? The same chaps and chapesses who knew that a significant amount of national pride depended on them going and coming back safely?

I think they were brave, and bold, but I also think they knew that the chances of success were high.

Fair enough, except for the scientist point – it’s not like kayaks were invented yesterday.

Btw, have you watched the documentary in question?

cynic-al
    Free Member

legend – Member

Fair enough, except for the scientist point – it’s not like kayaks were invented yesterday.

His bubble/canopy thing looked like it was.

legend
    Free Member

day before yesterday I’ll have you know!

warton
    Free Member

jesus, heartbreaking. Never seen that before.

Imagine living a life where the only time you can feel like your living a life worth living is when you’re on the edge of death. That’s what that type of person has to deal with.

I’d say this sums it up the best. he had to do it, he couldn’t have turned round and said forget it, even though he probably wanted to…

GrahamS

What, you mean those guys who had the backing of the best scientists that the USA and the USSR could provide?

Yeah, those guys

crikey
    Free Member

he couldn’t have turned round and said forget it,

Yes, actually, he could.

People with Motor Neurone disease can’t turn round and say forget it, I don’t want this disease.
    People with Breast cancer can’t turn round and say forget it I don’t want this disease.
    People born into poverty, people born to alcoholic parents, people born with physical and mental problems, they can’t say forget it.

I can fill the page with the stuff that people can’t actually forget.

I can also assume with a fairly high degree of accuracy that the people who really, really wish he had said forget it are the ones sitting at home with his pictures.

Doing stupid stuff does not make you a hero.

nick1962
    Free Member

His ego got in the way of his rationality IMHO and those around him should have done more.
    FFS the kayak had a fibre glass bubble that filled with water and made it almost impossible to get the kayak back upright whenever it capsized,which it did frequently.Fundamental design flaw which he was well aware of which ended up costing him his life.
    Strangely someone tipped off the local coastguard saying that the kayak was unsafe and questioning his state of mind and he put it down to jealous competitors(could have been his friends?).Tragically they were right.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Back on point. Do we know if the radio message played has been cleaned up? It certainly didn’t come across as too garbled to me, situation and location given. Admittedly a poor mayday but still gave enough info to act on

It may have been cleaned up, I don’t know. However, try listening to the audio without looking at the words on the screen, and preferably without having heard the words before. It is almost completely indecipherable on the first listen, apart from a few words which can be made out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His website is still there. In the present tense. 🙁

zimbo
    Free Member

Jesus that’s a stunning film. That footage near the end after the violent storm, in the calm water with the sea bird floating near his kayak put tears in my eyes.

atlaz
    Free Member

I was surprised he didn’t have his emergency beacon attached to him in some way. From the sound of it it wouldn’t have helped much unless they’d got to him in 20-30 mins but even so, seems a startling omission as it’s no good to him in the boat if he gets out to right it and the boat gets away from him.

Truly sad documentary though. I need to find one a little cheerier after watching this and Grand Prix – The Killer Years yesterday (the last scene of the British driver burning to death at Zandvoort was just horrifying).

athgray
    Free Member

Sad program. I used to do more crazy stuff but reined it in when I had children. It seems the high risk high reward life of adventurers is more of a curse. I see where he was coming from though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘…this is kayak one. do you copy, over?’ is closed to new replies.