Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • This is just unlucky (Rabbit content)
  • yourmywifenow
    Free Member

A 47-year-old Sowerby Bridge cyclist was taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital with significant back injuries following an accident at 11.15 pm last night.(Sun)

Police say a wild rabbit ended up tangled in his front wheel which caused him to lose control at Gratrix Lane, Sowerby Bridge.

The rabbit died in the accident.

Cougar

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg[/video]

lilchris
    Free Member

Was expecting another link to Mumsnet!

MSP

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SaNyCiiDK0[/video]

footflaps

We had a rabbit run through a bunch sprint once. It went under my wheel with a crunch. Amazingly no one came off!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Yup, almost had a rabbit related off once.

Flying down the lanes on the road bike, passing a farm on the right hand side, when all of a sudden a rabbit comes flying out of the yard, and right under my wheel. What the… 😯 Didn’t see it until I was right on top of it, how the hell I stayed upright I do not know. I look around as quick as I can to make sure I’m not seeing things, or whether the bike is damaged in anyway. Said rabbit is fine and making a dash for the hedge, now hotly pursued by the farm Jack Russel, which now is heading for my back wheel. I somehow miss the little sod, who is oblivious to me, and I carry on, wondering what just happened.

Lucky day I guess.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A friend of mine hit a rabbit while we were out on the road bikes. Poor thing jumped right into his front wheel and received a rather bloody nose (may of been more than that, cant imagine bladed spokes are too good for a bunnies face). Didn’t make much difference to my mate though, don’t think he even got pushed off line.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Had a hare run alongside me in Orkney when I was cycling to work. I thought it was pretty cool untill it tried to jump sideways through my front wheel…nothing I could do about it…luckily the little bugger just bounced off the wheel and into the ditch as I screamed in terror. Good job it never got a paw tangled or we both would have come a cropper.

I stopped and saw him run off, he was fine, but I still have flashbacks…especially when I’m riding down gentle sun dappled singletrack roads with daffodil clad banks at the side of it.

alfabus
    Free Member

?

CountZero

I was riding down a narrow lane once, bit of a gradient, following wind, big ring, about 30mph, and a pheasant came through a hedge to my left, at head height, and close enough I could have grabbed its tail feathers if I’d been quick enough. Happened in seconds, but hindsight told me a tiny bit faster and I’d have had several pounds of pheasant impacting the side of my head at a fair velocity, and me already doing 30mph, would have equalled a healthy dose of gravel rash.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

While one rabbit is unlucky another gets lucky.

Heard the spaniel growling on the floor under my legs tonight and looked down to see the rabbit happily humping away at her side. He’s now off to lose his balls next week!

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c[/video]

stevego
    Free Member

Clipped a rabbit with a pedal at speed on night coming down a long tarmac road, it somersaulted off into the bushes. Also had kangaroos jump out when startled by the rider in front, scary locking up a road bike on steep winding descents when that happens. We also have a wombat that runs out and has taken out a number of local riders on night rides near here.

martinhutch

Can we start a countdown for someone sounding suspiciously like Mike V arriving on the thread?

globalti
    Free Member

Was riding down a deep narrow lane with a buddy, two cars coming up, when suddenly two large deer jumped the high fence and landed in the middle of the road. We all slammed on and watched as one of the deer cleared the opposite fence but the second failed and bounced back, falling into the road on its hindquarters. It got up and tried to jump back the way it had come but failed again, tried the other fence, failed again, tried twice more and eventually managed to clear the left hand fence and was gone. The noise of its hooves on the road and the amount of dust, debris and vegetation it threw up was amazing; we rode on through a cloud of dust and for a few minutes afterwards we were both spitting deer bristles out of our mouths.

There are increasing numbers of car accidents with deer and hitting a deer at speed late at night is something that concerns me.

MoreCashThanDash

My only vegetarian riding mate killed a rabbit in a collission while commuting. His veggie conscience was soothed by the damage the rabbit caused to his bike and his face.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There are increasing numbers of car accidents with deer and hitting a deer at speed late at night is something that concerns me.

Saw the aftermath of a bloke riding last years Chiltern 100 after he hit a deer on a fairly nippy decent. He (the fella, not the deer) didn’t look too clever, sat by the roadside holding his elbow steady in the classic ‘I’ve broken my collar bone’ pose.

edited for clarity and to reduce comic potential.

franksinatra

Saw the aftermath of a bloke riding last years Chiltern 100 after he hit a deer on a fairly nippy decent. He didn’t look too clever, sat by the roadside holding his elbow steady in the classic ‘I’ve broken my collar bone’ pose

Does a deer even have a collar bone?

RustySpanner

globalti – Member

Driving from Hebden to Slack, below Heptonstall a few years ago a young deer jumped into the road, missing my bonnet by a couple of feet.
    Saw it out of the corner of my eye and managed to slam on.
    Tight, uphill left hander just after the trees finish, before the open bit, very early, icy morning so only doing about 15mph.

Woman coming the other way stopped and we watched it get increasingly panicked until it managed to get back over wall.

Closest I’ve ever been to a wild deer.
    Stunning animal.

Sandwich

I’ll see the rabbit and raise you a mattress. Article from Road CC Hopefully he’ll get well soon.

highlandman
    Free Member

A few years back an old friend had a significant off following an off road rabbit incident. Much the same sort of thing, fast grassy downhill, floppsy dives across the track and gets taken out by the front wheel. Unluckily, bunny sticks to the front tyre, spins up and into the brace of the fork causing an instant front wheel lock up and superman to fractured collar bone.
    Not sure how he viewed rabbit stew from that day on.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘This is just unlucky (Rabbit content)’ is closed to new replies.