Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • This is how we die…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Slowly, hardly noticing…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-21026451

Food with no food, beer with no beer…

allthepies
    Free Member

John Smiths Smoooooth…

<barfs>

Gunz
    Free Member

If you drink that stuff you deserve all you get – ditch water.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the amount of processing food undergoes will kill us one day

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Agreed. But it’s a straw in the wind…

Jamie
    Free Member

Hardly surprising. All the major breweries are reducing ABV to pay less duty. Budweiser, Carlsberg Export & Becks have all gone to 4.8%, from 5%, of late.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Budweiser, Carlsberg Export & Becks have all gone to 4.8%, from 5%, of late.

John Smiths

BWAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

binners

Even Stella has lowered its abv recently. Did you not hear the collective sigh of relief emitting from the female population of every council estate across the land?

It sounded like an angel farting?

ton

i would rather drink my own wee than smooth flow beer. 😀

footflaps

i would rather drink my own wee than smooth flow beer

+1 – repulsive stuff

soobalias
    Free Member

Extensive research conducted with John Smith’s retailers and consumers consistently confirmed that a 0.2% reduction in ABV does not compromise on the taste and quality that has made the brand the UK’s most popular ale

like you cant polish a turd, if you were to remove the polish from a polished turd, it would still be a turd.

Im lucky to have a number of great local breweries and pubs – cant recall the last time i saw JS.

CaptJon
    Free Member

A sad day. Just like when Boddington’s stopped pubs putting a flake in their pints.

Drac

Meanwhile in real beer land.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looks interesting…..

MSP

When I started drinking the average beer was about 4%, now it seems most beers are around 5%.

While the beers mentioned might all be crap, I think the changes in duty that is creating a reverse in the trend of ever stronger beers is generally a good thing.

donks
    Free Member

Its apparently Britain’s most popular ale!! It amazes me how these products that I never see any one using or pubs selling have a stealth following that makes them so popular.

br
    Free Member

Extensive research conducted with John Smith’s retailers and consumers consistently confirmed that a 0.2% reduction in ABV does not compromise on the taste and quality that has made the brand the UK’s most popular ale

Longish post, but reminded me of this:

How Honda bakes a potato:
    Preheat new, high-quality oven to 350 F
    Insert a Best Quality 1.0 Ib Idaho potato
    Go do something productive for 45 minutes
    Check for doneness, then remove perfectly baked potato from oven and serve.

How Ford bakes a potato:
    Conduct market test with suppliers in Mexico, Brazil and Turkistan to supply 0.75 Ib potatoes, choose lowest cost supplier with best Wings tix
    Change to incumbent supplier of Idaho potatoes, insist they meet Turkistan pricing with 3% annual price reduction
    Upgrade to 1.0 Ib potato, insist supplier erred by pricing for 0.75 Ibs as instructed when he knows Ford uses 1.0 Ib potatoes
    Instruct potato supplier to preheat the oven to 350 F
    Demand that the supplier show you how he turned the dial to reach 350 F
    and have him come up with documentation from the oven manufacturer proving that it was calibrated properly.
    Review documentation, then have supplier check the temperature using a sophisticated temperature probe
    Direct supplier to insert potato and set timer for 45 minutes
    Have supplier open over to prove potato has been installed correctly
    and request a free study proving that 45 minutes is the ideal time to bake potato of this size and variability due to orientation within the oven
    Request a Six Sigma Study showing variable cook times for various potato sizes and orientation
    Check potato for doneness after 10 minutes
    Check potato for doneness after 11 minutes
    Check potato for doneness after 12 minutes
    Become impatient with supplier (why is this simple potato taking so long to bake?).
    Demand status reports every five minutes
    Conduct Value Engineering session and new market test
    Change to 0.9 Ib potato because customer will only notice if potato weight is reduce to 0.85 Ib
    Check potato for doneness after 15 minutes
    After 35 minutes, conclude that potato is nearing completion.
    Pass through Gate review reporting all Green status
    Congratulate supplier, then update your boss on all the great work you’ve done, despite having to work with such an uncooperative supplier
    Remove the potato from oven after 40 minutes of baking as a cost save, without loss of function or quality versus the original 45 minute baking time
    Serve potato

joao3v16
    Free Member

I don’t understand the fuss – beer/lager is not a required taste 😀

Drac

When I started drinking the average beer was about 4%, now it seems most beers are around 5%.

You drank the wrong beers.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pfft.

Best beer in Tadcaster is Samuel Smiths.

FACT.

woody2000

Drinking piss weak beer is not how I[/i] intend to die! 😀

MadPierre

i would rather drink my own wee than smooth flow beer.

+ another 1

MadPierre
    whatnobeer
    Free Member

My current favourite ale.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

In fairness Ton your piss has probably got a higher alchohol content than most smooth beers

bokonon
    Free Member

That’s something like a 6% drop in malt content, for a 7% increase in price – given the overall increase in grain prices following last year, and the hit the hop harvest took with the weather as well, this makes some sense – but I’d still suggest there is a margin of additional profit lumped into this – and all expertly blamed not on the fact they make shit beer with crap ingredients, but blamed on beer duty…which is poorly thought out and badly implemented, but not at fault in this case.

(The beer I drink doesn’t come with labels on it…)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i would rather drink my own wee than smooth flow beer
    +1 – repulsive stuff

No, it’s not nasty. It’s just tasteless, and its been tasteless for ever. Which is why it sells. The average person like bland things: New build houses on faceless McEstates, silver or grey cars, supermarket meat, Eastendes, high street brand clothing, chart music, and Beefeater chain pubs serving Fosters and John Smiths. It’s the way of the world

John Smiths is beer for people that don’t like beer
    Magners is cider for people that don’t like cider
    Fosters is lager for people that don’t like lager

I love all three drinks, depending on circumstance. But I prefer to sup a taste and go “ohhh that’s nice, very fruity” and forget about everything else for a couple of seconds as I gaze into the glass

We are, these days, very lucky I think. I can cycle to 2 actual breweries from my house, and they will offer me a taste to help me decide which to buy. I buy more direct from these breweries than I do from pubs, but not as much as I brew in my own garage at about 50p a pint 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

As if I needed an excuse to look down my nose at that stuff.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pfft.
    Best beer in Tadcaster is Samuel Smiths.
    FACT.

🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

🙂

Sure it is an acquired taste but it *tastes* of something and that something is all natural ingredients too. It tastes like beer used to taste 200 years ago*

*Probably.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘This is how we die…’ is closed to new replies.