• This topic has 165 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • This is England 90
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Just noticed that this is on tomorrow at 9 on C4 . Shane Meadows is always brilliant at capturing the spirit of the times in these dramas. Great cast and brilliant soundtrack .

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hate to say it but i’ve not liked them, especially in comparison to earlier work.

DezB
    Free Member

Looking forward to it. The actors make it for me.

isitafox
    Free Member

Cannot wait for it!

doom_mountain

I’m excited for this, it’s been a fantastic journey with the characters so far.
    I going to watch the film tonight in preparation…

singlespeedstu

I hate to say it

No you don’t.
    You just like to scream look at me i’m so different. 😉
    I’m looking forwards to it ever since I saw the first advert for it a while ago.
    All the others have been great. I can only assume this one will also be great.

goldfish24

Just seen, The films on film 4 at 9.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get bent stu

😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Can’t wait.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I hate to say it but i’ve not liked them

Did you grow up in England during the 80s and 90s? If not it may not be for you.

granny_ring

I enjoyed the series.

chewkw
    Free Member

Although it’s just a movie it’s interesting to see another culture …

wee-al
    Free Member

Looking forward to hearing some Acid house. Not seen any ad’s or trailers. Hope they nail the soundtrack!

FSOL will be a good start

Pook

they filmed at the end of my (old) road

isto
    Free Member

Cant wait…have watched all the rest again in preparation. Looking forward to some classic Woody:

[video]http://youtu.be/2qmk-0vMCy0[/video]

binners

Let’s go! Can’t wait to see this! I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Going to be interesting what Shane makes of it

rascal
    Free Member

Sniffbanging 🙂

sadexpunk

hmmmm……not too impressive so far.

project
    Free Member

bit boring so far, not like the real 90,s

Pook

Scene setting only. Wait ’til Combo is back. It’ll kick off.

Drac

Not a jetwash in sight. Good times.

iain1775
    Free Member

Thought it disappointing, storyline wasn’t there, and I appreciate it’s still scene setting and will come along later but a lot of the acting also seemed poor. We know those actors/actresses are capable of better

And the attention to detail was way off what I expect from Shane Meadows
    Pubwatch for example didn’t exist in 1990, it came into being in the late 90’s but there was a large pubwatch sign behind the bar in a lot of the scenes after the fight towards the end
    Nitpicking I know but it’s that sort of attention to detail that has defined the This is England films and series, the whole episode just seemed lazy

isto
    Free Member

I thought it was a really good start to the series, amazingly cheery and upbeat for a TIE episode. Some hilarious moments as well.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Entertaining enough, I’ll probably watch the next one but as has been said above by iain some of the acting was dire.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Pubwatch was around in 1990. Certainly around my area anyway…

onandon
    Free Member

Looking forward to this but came away disappointed. I’ll try the next one but it’s going off if it doesn’t get much better very quickly,

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, similar thoughts here.. Found it a bit slow, and, well, boring almost.
    Still. There’s 3 more parts for it to pick up.

gonzy
    Free Member

watching it tonight….no spoilers please!

soobalias
    Free Member

switched it off after about 15mins

theotherjonv

In preparation, the wife and I bought the film, 86 and 88 on DVD and are recording 90 to watch once we’re up to date.

I saw some of the original ones at the time but didn’t particularly make an effort to see them all, the wife hasn’t seen any before and is properly hooked. Although the end of last night’s episode (part 3 of 86 i think, where Mick rapes Trev) wasn’t particularly ‘entertaining’ viewing. Still; I remember what comes next so at least the **** gets his come-uppance.

Watching them a few things strike me.

1/ The early 80’s were shite.

2/ The north is shite.

3/ WC86 shorts were actually shorts.

DezB
    Free Member

Great stuff. Some people on this thread don’t seem to appreciate Shane Meadows style..? Not sure what they were expecting, but it’s very Shane Meadows and totally in keeping with the previous series.

iain1775
    Free Member

Some people on this thread don’t seem to appreciate Shane Meadows style..?

been a big fan of his films since I was living as a student in Sneinton, Nottingham at the same time Twenty Four Seven was filmed ‘down the road’
    Last night in parts seemed lazy and rushed, which was disappointing given the delays whilst he finished the Stone Roses film
    I am sure it will get better, the few clips I’ve seen certainly look like the plot is going to develop well

Did anyone catch Alan Carr this week? I wouldnt normally but made a point to record it this time, Thomas Turgoose, Vicky McClure and Stephen Graham where brilliant

DezB
    Free Member

Pubwatch for example didn’t exist in 1990, it came into being in the late 90’s

Funnily enough I checked my copy of Fools Gold for the date. Coulda sworn it was later than ’90… but no, of course not 🙂

pictonroad

acting was brilliant, what more do you lot want?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Having enjoyed the previous ‘This is England’ series i was really looking forward to last nights programme.

As others have said though – it was pretty dull stuff. Scene setting maybe but to lose 1 programme in a 4 programme series to scene setting doesnt seem right.

Could and should have been a lot better.

isto
    Free Member

acting was brilliant, what more do you lot want?

That’s what I was thinking …tough crowd. I loved the episode just for the fact it was doing just that – setting the scene. It was all about the music and the banter between the different characters. No doubt it will start getting a bit more gritty in the next episode but I was quite glad it eased us in gently. The slow motion scenes at the disco when Fools Gold came on were brilliantly done.

Woody is England’s answer to Ron Burgundy….he clearly has no filter between brain and mouth.

yunki
    Free Member

Being young and poor at that time was dull and boring..
    The fact that the STW cognoscenti are slating it just fills me with confidence that it’s gonna be ace..

Gonna watch it later 🙂

binners

Being young and poor at that time was dull and boring..

Interesting take on just that subject in the Guardian, by Paul Mason this morning yunki

McHamish
    Free Member

I haven’t watched the previous series, but watched last nights episode.

The scenes where the two guys buy drugs from that other bloke then convince the girl that ‘sniffbanging’ was an actual thing…that was more like a comedy sketch show than reality. It wasn’t particularly realistic and the acting wasn’t convincing.

But perhaps that’s just their characters…

In previous series, did it rely heavily on playing music of that particular era to capture audiences?

brassneck

I enjoyed it, not watched any of the others

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘This is England 90’ is closed to new replies.