Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • This HIT stuff is all rubbish isn't it?
  • transapp
    Free Member

OK, trolling title, but really I would like to understand more why if HIT training is so good, why I feel I can ride further for longer, and do other sports better in te same way if I actually put a few miles into doing it. Also does Sir Bradley if Wiggens train for just 10mins a week and if not, why not? Thoughts welcome!

njee20
    Free Member

Lazy man’s way of getting fit. You’re not going to be an Olympic athlete, but considering the amount of actual ‘training’ folk do (as opposed to a casual walk or a steady ride) it’ll bring ones fitness on in leaps and bounds.

BadlyWiredDog

Is it possible to combine HIIT with longer, steadier rides?

mrmo
    Free Member

if you want to run a marathon it helps to run, want to ride the tour then riding lots would be helpful. Part of the point is getting the body used to the time doing something.

Fitness isn’t one thing, particularly if you want to be competitive in any sport. Things like HIT if done properly will make you fitter in a general good health sort of way.

scud
    Free Member

I think it has it place in training, especially when the weather is like this and you want to use rollers/ turbo trainer and it is better to do an intense 45 minutes than 2 hours on the turbo which can be really dull.

It is just a new way or trend really for doing lactate threshold work I guess. I used to leave long steady rides for the weekends and do some interval sessions in the evenings during the week when time with the family means i only get about an hour spare if i’m lucky, that mixed with some weigh training and core work has really helped over this winter (up to getting the manthrax this week!)

mrmo
    Free Member

you mean like, intervals?

piemonster

It’s what I would consider to be a ‘normal’ training plan!

mudshark
    Free Member

Isn’t HIIT a bit more extreme than most people’s intervals? Kinda 10 minutes in total including the recovery periods?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t entirely replace long rides with HIIT but you can mostly. You still need one longer ride a week, but you can still gain endurance with much less time committed.

And if you think it’s for lazy people, you are not doing it right! You gave to really properly hurt yourself.

Works very very well for me. Faster now than ever I was doing the traditional stuff, and with less time spent. Anecdotally my endurance has been just fine over 2–3 hour rides despite having done about 3 a year, from nothing more than very irregular 45 min commutes done with selected hard efforts.

Also with noting that sprint intervals have transformed my endurance running far quicker than 10kms ever did. Very hard puke inducing sprints, mind. It only works if you really really batter yourself.

hmanchester
    Free Member

The whole thing originates from this study

It compares training on an exercise bike:

Group 1: Moderate steady state training (70% of VO2 max) for 60 mins 5 times a week

Group 2: 4 x a week of: 7-8 sets of 20 seconds max + 10 seconds rest intervals PLUS 1 x 60 min steady state session as above.

Both groups increased their V02 max but group 2 did slightly better for far less volume of training.

What followed on from this was endless articles/theories on HIIT. Yes it’s good in it’s place, eg if you have a time constraint, want to keep volume down, etc. It is however a limited study (as it should be to provide meaningful results) that throws up a few interesting points.

McHamish
    Free Member

Also does Sir Bradley if Wiggens train for just 10mins a week and if not, why not?

If you want to reach Bradley Wiggins fitness level, then quit your job, get sponsorship and train multiple times 6 days a week.

Alternatively, find a more efficient way of training.

brooess
    Free Member

Not coming from a POV of knowing a lot about the specifics of HIT but interval training/speedwork/fartlek etc are well known principles for improving aren’t they?

However, my understanding is that any good training plan for improving cardiovascular performance is a combination of ‘long easy stuff’ + ‘push till you puke’

My experience using my commute as sprint work – from red light to red light – made me faster on my commute but didn’t make as much of a difference to weekend club rides as, well, lots of weekend club rides… so a combination of endurance and speedwork needed to get faster over a long distance… A few high intensity sessions will only improve your high intensity fitness, not your base endurance

molgrips
    Free Member

It also depends on your physiology, where you are starting from, your preference, your mentality when riding, and your goals.

As usual of course. For many weekend warriors needing a little extra oomph at the local trail centre I reckon it would be fantastic, and it will not cost you endurance but increase it.

If you just ride weekends and put in one good HOOT session mid week you would probably see a huge gain.

MrOvershoot

BadlyWiredDog – Member

You would think someone might have used this by now in training 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

In the interests of being open, this is my current training regime;

Monday/Wednesday/Friday (around 45 mins in the gym)

Warmup – intervals on exercise bike; 2 mins slow warmup, then intervals of 1 min like the clappers, 30 seconds rest…repeat until I’ve done about 10 mins, then slow cool down for a bit (total 10-12 mins on the bike).

2-5 mins dynamic stretching/warm up (with emphasis on upper body)

3 rounds of circuit training; 30 second intervals with 10 second rest x 10 (6.40mins total) (2 min rest between rounds)

Then 2-5 minutes stretching.

Each set of circuit training includes various exercises including power bag, kettlebells and body weight exercises, such as;

– Burpees with power bag shoulder press (I can find a youtube clip to explain if you like)
    – dive bombers
    – squats (with a power bag on my shoulder)
    – lunges (with a power bag on my shoulder)
    – jumping lunges with medicine ball twists
    – medicine ball catches (lying on your back and throw a medicine ball into the air)
    – crunches/sit ups (variations of to make it more challenging/interesting)
    – various powerbag exercises (search online to find examples)
    – various kettlebell exercises (search online to find examples

etc etc…these are just examples, if you want to find other exercises to incorporate search for metabolic workouts on youtube. A guy called funkMMA has some good examples..bit cheesy and I’m not sure if he’s just a muscley equivelent of Mr Motivator, but his workouts are good.

I try to incorporate as many total body exercises as possible.

Once you’re happy with 10×30 seconds (3 rounds), you could change to 10x1min (2 rounds).

An alternative to this is something called Hurricanes (look up Martin Rooney)….these are a bit more complicated, and include 20/30 seconds of going flat out on an exercise bike or treadmill in between HIIT anaerobic exercises.

I sometimes go for a 5km jog at the weeekend if I feel like it. My MTB is currently out of action so don’t have access to that at the moment.

In the new year, I’m planning to go back to Muay Thai so will probably replace two of the circuits sessions with strength training but will use supersets to keep the intensity up.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve of adjust that regime, I’m all ears eyes.

McHamish
    Free Member

I should point out that I’m not currently interested in endurance rides etc, so that probably influences my training.

If you’re going to do a 100mile sportive, then you probably want to do long endurance training instead. But if it was me I’d include a couple of HIIT circuits sessions midweek.

FYI. I’m not claiming to be an expert or know better than people, I@m just sharing what I do.

hmanchester
    Free Member

McHamish: What’s your goal?

molgrips
    Free Member

Over the three or so weeks I was without a car, I did lots of 45 minute commutes. I did maybe two a week flat out, then maybe three or four sessions (depending on feel) hammering each climb as hard as possible then spinning the rest.

Big improvement in that three weeks.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are we talking HIT on it’s own and nothing else? That’ll make 4th cat racing a far safer place 😐

Or are we talking intervals, or HIT to supplement ‘regular’ training?

McHamish
    Free Member

Primarily to get fit, and to get rid of the extra flab.

I used to do a lot of martial arts (muay thai) and want to get back to that level of fitness. I’m planning to go back to muay thai in the new year but can’t train as much as I used to as I don’t get home to the wife until gone 21.30.

I’m going to the gym in my lunch break so be in the gym for longer than 45mins (around 1 hour including shower etc).

I used to be bothered about weight but I’m not interested in fighting anymore as I’m too old so it doesn’t matter so much. Although I’d like to get lower than 90kgs if I’m honest.

I’m not into body building or anything like that so not interested in becoming a beef cake.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have almost entirely replaced “normal” training with HIIT, due to time and family pressures. I think I am faster than I ever was doing the traditional stuff. It’s counter intuitive, but well worth a try imo. I may not be as good over a 5 hour race but I don’t care. I am only interested in short races.

I think it may be largely neurological adaptation though. Traditional instructions were to pace myself over 1 or 3 min intervals, which means holding back slightly rather than giving it everything. I feel far stronger now I am better trained to hurt myself properly.

Oh and in that 3 weeks I lost a hole on my belt easily.

hmanchester
    Free Member

McHamish: In that case it looks like a very decent workout. It’s going to give you a good level of conditioning rather than purely adding strength/muscle but that’s what you’re aiming for.

Maybe a couple of points of interest:

Your circuits seem very lower body/posterior chain focused which is no bad thing but a bit of upper body work might fit in well. I’m thinking pull/chin ups, inverted rows, dips, press ups, to go along with your powerbag burpees/overhead presses. You mention various power bag/kettlebell exercises as a catch all below so this all might fall in to there.

Good stuff, I’m impressed!

molgrips: Like I said above, HIIT can be a very good option if one is time pressed. You’re doing the right thing by putting in a true 100% max effort on your intervals. That’s the trick/magic/bullshit/point of HIIT, the difference between 90% and 100% when you’re going for it makes an important physiological difference. You’re doing it the right way and seeing results from it. Amen to that.

Also for anyone looking to reduce bodyfat then diet is more important than training. You can’t out train a bad diet.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I should probably add my training… My goal is sports specific (hockey) as well as to be strong and keep body fat down.

2 x 2 hour hockey training sessions and 1 or 2 matches per week. The training benefit from these are sport specific varied interval type work and of course the technical/skill element. During the season I normally get out on my MTB once every couple of weeks.

During the off season I play once a week during the evening and do 2 fitness sessions of about an hour each. One is more sprint/plyometric focused and the other hockey specific interval training. Typically out on the bike 1-2 times per week during the summer.

2 x weight training sessions per week. I currently use the Wendler 5/3/1 template and use an online workout calculator.

Wendler 5/3/1 is based around progressing 4 key compound movements (squat, deadlift, press, bench press) with added assistance exercises for all round training. I put lots of pull ups, inverted rows, glute ham raises and dumbell work in here. Each session lasts <1 hour with a chunk of mobility work at the beginning.

So all in all 3-4ish interval/cardio/skill sessions and two weights sessions a week.

shooterman

Brilliant thread.

I have been working on fitness / weight loss since the middle of the year and have been using HIIT due to time constraints during the week and then two longer MTB rides at the weekend with no weight training fri or sat.

However, I do a 10 min warm up on the turbo trainer with a two minute steady pace to start then alternating 60 secs hard, 60 secs steady. I then do a superset with weights such as flat bench press alternating with a barbell curl. 3 sets of each with 10 – 12 reps.

However, on advice, in between supersets I get back on the turbo trainer and do 5 mins alternating 60 secs steady, 60 secs hard. It usually works out that I have spent a total of 25 mins on the bike and 18 sets of three different exercises. Would it be more worthwhile doing one long HIIT session for 30 mins say?

I have noticed I am faster and stronger on the MTB at weekends but my weight is remaining steady (too heavy!) but I am bulking up, particualrly in the upper body.

Also, is anyone training while fasting? I see a lot of websites and magazines advocating this method for fat loss.

piemonster

I know a few folk who have adopted the fasting diet and it’s worked well for them, far better than improving there training.

oldgit
    Free Member

Also, is anyone training while fasting? I see a lot of websites and magazines advocating this method for fat loss.

Is this training for looks though? Doesn’t sound a good idea for our sport.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Shooterman: Fasted training? Can ‘o worms right there! Personally I think it’s only really of use as a cherry on top type of training to drop from 9% – 8% bodyfat kind of stuff. The downsides and limited effect negate the point for the vast majority. For me anyway.

However people are really getting into looking at when you should eat and patterns of eating. These generally involve either a fast or carb free start to the day. Worth looking at:

Intermittent Fasting
    Carb Back-Loading

For your superset have you considered doing inverted rows/pull ups instead of your curls? They are more of a compound exercise that involves more weight and muscles used and fits in well with bench presses as well as still working the biceps well. You can often do the inverted row on the bench and bar you use for bench presses, just have a switch around – feet on bench, you hanging from bar upside down.

BadlyWiredDog

MrOvershoot – Member
    BadlyWiredDog – Member
    You would think someone might have used this by now in training

Surely they’d just cancel each other out…

I’m still amused that Moley, who used to post endlessly about how riding for decades at a pace only just faster than being in a coma was the answer to life, the universe and everything, now posts endlessly about how riding for 20 seconds a week until you puke is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

He’s now fitter than he ever wasn’t. All thanks to HIIT. Or something like that. Does HIIT also kill your brain cells?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, is anyone training while fasting?

I’ve been training without insulin. This means not eating for several hours before a session and not for the first 45 minutes of that session. It means your body will be burning fat mostly, and when you start taking on carbs after 45 mins you’ll probably only end up taking a little.

Makes a big difference for me in training and weight.

And remember, fat loss = performance in our sport. As in, lose 5kg you’ll get faster even if you’re no fitter.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Except that the liver stores around 200g of glycogen and the muscles 400g…..

Edit: And then when you do eventually run out of glycogen after a few hours one of the sources of energy will be the muscle itself – which is why it’s not great for training for performance.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does, yes.

Insulin inhibits lipolysis. So if you eat fast carbs, your pancreas has to produce lots of insulin, this makes your muscles use blood glycogen instead of fat. Go riding, and your muscles suddenly use a lot of blood glycogen cos the insulin is still in your blood, then your blood glycogen goes low and you feel crappy, so you eat/drink more carbs and so it goes on.

You will use glycogen stores if you exercise without having eaten carbs beforehand, but not as much.

Try it – you may be able to go far harder for longer without bonking and with taking less carbs. You may not notice a difference of course, depends on your physiology 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m still amused that Moley, who used to post endlessly about how riding for decades at a pace only just faster than being in a coma was the answer to life, the universe and everything, now posts endlessly about how riding for 20 seconds a week until you puke is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Hardly.

I was using the traditional approach, which does work, then I found a new approach that works better. I just share what I know. Is that so bad? Should I stick to my guns regardless of what I’ve learned?

Does HIIT also kill your brain cells?

See above.

BadlyWiredDog

I was using the traditional approach, which does work, then I found a new approach that works better. I just share what I know. Is that so bad? Should I stick to my guns regardless of what I’ve learned?

What makes it amusing isn’t that you’ve changed your mind, but that you’re so flippin’ adamant that you’re always right, that when you do switch and are again, totally adamant that you’re right, it’s just funny. Well it amuses me anyway.

I take the view that I’m rarely right about anything, let alone completely right and I allow for the possibility that the world is painted in shades of grey rather than black or white and that often there is no ‘right’ answer, just a selection of competing solutions. But I may be wrong on that…

McHamish
    Free Member

Right just back from the gym, had to do a short one today as the gym was shutting at 2pm.

Did 40 minutes in total…still knackered though.

McHamish
    Free Member

I take the view that I’m rarely right about anything, let alone completely right and I allow for the possibility that the world is painted in shades of grey rather than black or white and that often there is no ‘right’ answer, just a selection of competing solutions. But I may be wrong on that…

I guess that gives Molgrips a suitable excuse to ignore your comment about him changing his mind…you’re rarely right about anything anyway!

hmanchester
    Free Member

Who said anything about fast carbs? Live on brocolli and your liver will store it as glycogen. You will then use it when you exercise, even if you don’t eat overnight.

You are restricting calories and exercising so you are definitely going to lose body fat. I’m just not sure I’d want to be left with the weak and stressed body that’s underneath. Each to their own though!

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s all a load of B*****s anyway.

From my facebook page, a message to our race team coach.

Can I have chips after training Saturday?

molgrips
    Free Member

What makes it amusing isn’t that you’ve changed your mind, but that you’re so flippin’ adamant that you’re always right

Well if you read carefully, I usually say ‘as I understand it’ or ‘the theory goes’ and similar things. If I don’t, then I should, so please pick me up on it.

Sometimes I am quite sure of something, but then I learn something else that may have a more important effect. That doesn’t mean the first thing is wrong.

Just saw this:

You can’t out train a bad diet

Some people can.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Incorrect, no matter how much exercise you do you can still gain body fat with a poor diet.

This guy runs 10 marathons in 10 days and still has a gut. You can’t out-train a bad diet. Pasta and energy gel belly.

edited.

piemonster

didn’t even get off the first page

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘This HIT stuff is all rubbish isn't it?’ is closed to new replies.