Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • This freehub body is made of cheese
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bregante

No worse than my year old pro 2

Rorschach
    Free Member

No worse than hope,easton,crank bros etc or any freehub body made from aluminium.

snaps
    Free Member

My Pro2 was similar – just take the high spots off with a small file & It’ll be fine.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats what happens to aluminium freehub bodies. Doesnt matter what make it is.

timbur
    Free Member

More info required I think.
    How old, how much use, etc.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

18 months old. Not ridden that much as 70% of the time I prefer my HT.

smell_it
    Free Member

Are you wearing a shell suit?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No. Poly hiking truggers

Blue cheese is too soft.
    You should have used a mature cheddar.

Rorschach
    Free Member

dammit….dammit….dammit 👿

njee20
    Free Member

That’s nothing. Alu freehub bodies do it. It’s basically a cosmetic issue.

Bregante

You should have used a mature cheddar. parmesan

stucol
    Free Member

SRAM PG 990 Cassette. Problem solved.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

” It’s basically a cosmetic issue”

K. I’ll file off the burrs and continue

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

” It’s basically a cosmetic issue”

K. I’ll file off the burrs and continue.

No. He meant your trousers…
    ;op

gee
    Free Member

Are you using a cassette without a sprocket carrier? i.e. anything other than Sram990/XT/XTR? SLX and other SRAM cassettes have too many individual cogs for aluminium freehubs to handle without scoring.

As said, that happens to everything. I even replaced a King one after about 4-5 years of use a few years ago as it got so bad the cassette wouldn’t stay tight.

GB

Northwind

DT seem a little tougher but Superstar ones are no better/worse than Pro 2s. Steel cassette meets soft alu freehub body, only going to end one way. Tidy it up and forget about it. A cassette with a carrier like XT, SLX, 990 etc will reduce the effect but it’ll still happen on the loose cogs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shame no one bar shimano properly addresses this issue.

A steel insert on the leading edge of some splines would do it (or deeper splines like campag,)

mooman
    Free Member

when mine got too bad. I replaced it with the steel bodied version.

baznav73
    Free Member

Exactly what cynic-al said, why oh why can’t all the companys making alloy freehub bodys let in a steel strip on 3 or 4 of the splines problem solved and wouldn’t add any noticable weight and it wouldn’t take me 20 mins to get my cassette off.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

American Classic have a nifty insert thing on some of theirs, best of both worlds…

TBH I reckon nobody else does it like Shimano because a Pro 2 with a steel freehub weighs about the same as an XT hub- people buy lightness then complain later about durability but they’ll still buy lightness next time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Exactly Northy.

It beggars belief to me that Hope lack mechanical sympathy in this way.

Northwind

It’s the customer sympathy that’s more lacking tbh, their way of dealing with it is to put a little bit of paper in the box that says “Fahgeddaboudit, it’s only cosmetic”. And to tell us we have to use XT or higher but it’s absolutely fine for Orange to fit deore.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You can use a chain whip to turn the cassette anti clockwise Somtimes to release it a little from the burs rather than just beat it off.
    Old hope Ti hub body’s also used to have the little label about Useing xt or xtr and used to mark up in much the same way.

Just think of the hub body as a service item , when it’s buggered totally replace it

andyl
    Free Member

what you need is an all in one cassette and freehub…. 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mmmm can’t wait for the hope one to be released. 9th bottom cog I need a moment lol

mrmo
    Free Member

Have a look at a Campag cassette hub, much deeper splines so the load is spread far better.

o96192083
    Free Member

looks fine

njee20
    Free Member

Mrmo, did you read the second part of Al’s post where he mentions Campag!

Shimano tried when they first did 10 speed, but people moaned that you couldn’t fit 9 speed cassettes to their 10 speed hubs, so they gave up!

mrmo
    Free Member

njee20, no i read northwind’s quoting of Al’s post, that’ll teach me for not reading the whole thread…

retro83
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

A steel insert on the leading edge of some splines would do it (or deeper splines like campag,)

It’s apparently because American Classic have a patent on the steel insert (according to Brant)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dear-oh-dear-pro2-content#post-2144292
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dear-oh-dear-pro2-content#post-2144593

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting, I thought of doing that to the only aluminum freehub I had but then sold it for other reasons. I was gonna file a bit off then araldite in and file down spoke sections.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘This freehub body is made of cheese’ is closed to new replies.