Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • This forum………………… stalling
  • imp999
    Free Member

Any one else having trouble with this site stalling for about 15 seconds as it tries to load pictures/adverts?
    Doing it at home and work for me.
    Is there a way to disable all the flashing and beeping stuff down the RH side?

Cheers.

rOcKeTdOg

nope

Sim

We’ve had a few little glitches today but we have people who know what they are doing (i.e. not me!) tinkering with servers and stuff so it should all be tickety-boo soon.
    Need to use tickety-boo more…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is there a way to disable all the flashing and beeping stuff down the RH side?

discussion of this topic is prohibited due to the revenues incurred

druidh
    Free Member

incurred? You mean avoided?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

incurred? You mean avoided?

I mean the ads incur revenue to ST

CountZero

I think you mean Wrath Of God Incurred.

GrahamS

Wrath of Mod?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think you mean Wrath Of God Incurred.

yes, I got banned for moaning about the precious flashy things

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its becoming a pain for me, the back button is refusing to work and tonight i’ve got umpteen “internet explorer cannot display the webpage” messages across the screen as ads are unable to load (i assume).

Yes it might make the site revenue (if people click through them presumably) but if it pisses people off then they will just go to Bikeradar instead !

theotherjonv

give them a chance! Sim just said they’ve been having an issue today and people are looking at it. Not quite time to call us all out on a mass shirkers strike yet!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but if it pisses people off then they will just go to Bikeradar instead

this seems not to be the case – many feel that if the ads support the site then they are tolerable

Peregrine
    Free Member

What adds??

Tom
    Free Member

We’ve temporarily disabled the ads while we work on the server and stuff tonight. This explains the “cannot display the webpage” messages in place of the ads – they are hopefully more tolerable than having the page wait for the ads to display. We hope to resume normal ad service shortly.

I’m not sure I understand the back button issue. You mean the one in your browser toolbar?

Trampus
    Free Member

Seems to be that one, Tom.

Spongebob
    Free Member

The ads are flashing merrily on my browser.

I love the ads!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TBH I can’t see the problem with ads either. some people have nothing better to complain about……..

😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yep, normally after viewing a thread i click the back button in internet explorer to go back to the main list of threads. For the past three or four days that hasn’t been working (although its fine now!!) and i was having to go back in via the front page.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

TBH I can’t see the problem with ads either. some people have nothing better to complain about……..

it’s an individual characteristic, some people find their attention distractingly drawn to flashing or moving things, others don’t

coffeeking
    Free Member

Something on this site regularly kills my browser. No other sites do it, only STW, and it’s on 2 computers too. One of them (XP, IE) suddenly starts opening heaps of tabs until it keels over and the other (Linux, Firefox)just freezes the whole browser and it needs the process killing.

I’ve checked both out for mal/spy/idiotware and viruses and none are apparent, and killing off the flash ads cures it so I’m not sure what is going on.

snaps
    Free Member

Doing it here now, when you read a thread & hit the back button, there are half a dozen ad.singletrack urls in the list so you have to click back 7 times to go back one page.

lillyarn
    Free Member

Yep had the same problem for the past few days (but possibly only at work). It keeps trying to load a couple of pages of ads in a new window

cinnamon_girl

Yes, had been doing that since the beginning of the week for me. But first thing this morning it seemed to be fixed but has now reverted.

CHB

Severely borked on both work and home pc for me too.
    trys loading, locks up, and then unfreezes 30-90 seconds later.

While STW is doing this I can happily open another browser window and load BBC or Google, so its not the PC locking up, just Singletrack.

GrahamS

Re the Back button:

Until this is fixed I suggest folk should use tabs instead of pressing back all the time.

i.e. When you are on the main forum page and you want to read a thread then middle-click on it to open it in a new tab. Read the thread, reply, and once you’re done just close the tab.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Graham – my problems occur without using the back button, I always browse with tabs. I wonder if the problems are linked somehow. I cant see how yet.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually, having just run a few tests, mine is stalling when loading pages and it stalls the whole instance of the browser (all tabs), but if I open another browser (not another copy of the same browser) it (the new one) works fine while the other remains stalled.

GrahamS

Yeah that advice was more aimed at snaps and Rockhopper.

I haven’t been seeing my browser freeze up, but I have noticed firefox crashing a lot more recently. I had assumed it was just some bugs in the latest version, but come to think of it I have been on STW when it crashes.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘This forum………………… stalling’ is closed to new replies.