Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • This explains why I'm so fast now!
  • SaxonRider

/irony

Interesting article on flats versus clipless for mountain biking.

Argue away!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Well that’s blown it.
    Don’t know what to blame my crapness on now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

James Wilson at MTB Strength Training Systems is an avid flat peddle supporter

I’m out!

EDIT so VO2 was lower but HR was 180 vs 175 and perceived exertion 2 points (of 20) higher?

Can CFH add a clickbait title?

“This rider got tested on flats. YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED!!!”

Poopscoop

Only read it on mobile.
    Doesn’t seem go into the science behind the suggestion, unless I missed a link?

I ride flats now. My knees appreciate it but in honestly it’s a confidence thing. I like to know I can dab a foot down real fast if needed.

I do miss being clipped in on a long uphill grind though. They’ve also made be a bit more of a wuss. I had to be more committed on singletrack/ downhills with spd and just go for it. With flats I’m far more likely to wimp out and dap a foot.

Just my experience. Went back to clipped in for a while though and remembered why I just can’t get on with them anymore. 🙁

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m out!

+1

A commentator once sussinctly described him on Pinkbike: “What a fruitloop”.

peabrain
    Free Member

Is it just me or is that article really badly written? Not to mention the constant changing from pedal/peddle…

mintimperial

The article’s a bit poor but the GCN video is interesting, and does at least show that there’s nothing inherently inefficient about flats when you’re just blatting along pedalling evenly at a decent rate. They do point out that if you need to do something like really put power down in a sprint you’re definitely going to benefit from being clipped in – there’s a reason why they all but nail track sprinters feet to their pedals, for example.

Of course, it doesn’t make any difference to me as I’m ambipedalous – equally hopeless on flats and clips. 😉

nickc

I’m out!

+2

can’t stand him

sirromj

A commentator once sussinctly described him on Pinkbike: “What a fruitloop”.

He’s got nothing on the guy in the “insane wheelie skills” video.

yunki
    Free Member

I tried clips for six months a few years back..

Loads easier/faster (more pedalling efficiency) but dangerous as **** on anything properly nadgery

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘This explains why I'm so fast now!’ is closed to new replies.