Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • This country is rubbish!!!
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Why is it that foreign jams have so much more fruit in. I try to find jams, specifically blackcurrant, with loads of blackcurrants in and most uk jams have nowhere near as much fruit in being mostly jelly. It pisses me off and is just another example of rip off Britain!!

Rant over..

br
    Free Member

Typical Brit, always someone elses' fault!

Make your own.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My mum's jam is ace!

john_drummer
    Free Member

bugger off then

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

make yer own!

white101

its them ConDem fruit cutbacks TJ warned you about

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Treason. Off to the tower.!

loddrik
    Free Member

Trust me there is no way I could make jam, much as I'd like to.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have some jam, made in England (by a Scottish person) and it is well stuffed with fruit so you are plain wrong 🙂

br
    Free Member

How hard can this be:

900g (2lb) fresh or frozen berries
    900g (2lb) white sugar, warmed
    (use 110g/4oz less if the fruit is very sweet)

Wash, dry and sterilise the jars in the oven for 15 minutes. Put the berries into a wide, stainless-steel saucepan. Mash them a little and cook for 3–4 minutes over a medium heat until the juice begins to run, then add the warmed sugar and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.

Increase the heat, bring to the boil and cook steadily for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently (frozen berries will take 6 minutes).

Test for a set by putting about a teaspoon of jam on a cold plate and leaving it for a few minutes in a cool place. Press the jam with your index finger. If it wrinkles even slightly, it is set. Remove from the heat immediately. Skim and pour into sterilised jam jars. Cover immediately.

Keep the jam in a cool place or put on a shelf in your kitchen so you can feel great every time you look at it! Anyway, it will be so delicious it won't last long!

Kevevs
    Free Member

apart from the jam, there is the lovely mountains and beauty of nature to explore, take yer jam outside!

loddrik
    Free Member

If I am honest I have never even considered making my own. Maybe I'll look into it. How long does it keep or do you need to freeze the extra?

br
    Free Member

Maybe I'll look into it. How long does it keep or do you need to freeze the extra?

FFS – change of mind, please leave and help increase the UK's average IQ

loddrik
    Free Member

Only after I have impregnated your wife/gf… 🙄

khani
    Free Member

That went well 🙄

If I am honest I have never even considered making my own. Maybe I'll look into it. How long does it keep or do you need to freeze the extra?

The original point of jam was to preserve the fruit

ahwiles
    Free Member

'jam' has a legal maximum fruit content, it's about 40g per 100g by weight, iirc…

any more than 40g's per 100g's, and it's no longer 'jam' but a 'fruit conserve' or something.

i might have made all that up.

go look for 'conserve' – i like the stuff that comes in tall thin jars, i forget the name of it, D-something or other.

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol!

GrahamS

These guys are local to me and make awesome jam.
    The Sweet Chilli Jam is great on sandwiches with a bit of nice ham.

http://www.jensjams.co.uk/

fadda

Loddrik – try J B Preserves in Devon. She's my sister, and they're all ORSM!

Try the chilli marmalade…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘This country is rubbish!!!’ is closed to new replies.