Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "This copy of windows is not genuine"
  • bearnecessities

Yes it is!

Just noticed this message in bottom right hand corner of screen. Not a pop-up, looks rather permanent.

“Windows 7

Build copy 7601

This copy of Windows is not genuine”

I tried to do updates, but even that errored out with some generic error code.

Should I just leave it, or is Edward Snowden hacking my 3 year old Compaq?

tinribz
    Free Member

Eventually it will delay your start up. Laptops have some weird code thing on a HD partition that’s lost if you format and re-install. Options are Google and find out how to disable an update, get the checker thing installed or call Microsoft.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Go the full nine yards are re-install a dodgy copy over the top.

Or as above contact MS if you are sure the copy is good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Had this with an older version of Windows

Microsoft offered me a cheap deal on Windows at about half price 🙄
    I explained to them that it was a legit copy and could give them the laptop brand, serial number, Windows serial number and pics etc but that was the “best” they could do even though I explained I could get a torrent or an internet fix for cheaper
    That was what I did

Microsoft were utterly useless – they seemed to think I would just get a new copy

Drac

I get that every now and then with my desktop I just tell it to authorise and it works grand after that for awhile.

bearnecessities

Ok thanks, I’ll give MS a ring then with low expectations, as was pre-installed from Comet. Remeber them?

andrewreay

bearnecessities sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but not long before Comet met their end, they were busted by M$ for punting PCs with dodgy Windows recovery discs.

You may well be one of the victims if you’ve done a recovery from a bent disc – I think that’s how it would work.

If you contact M$ I suspect they’ll still try and flog you an upgrade, but the fact that you may well be the unsuspecting victim of malpractice by one of their premier re-sellers should do you a favour in terms of their offer. I’d certainly point out the fact that you trusted Comet to supply kosher gear as they covered their stores in M$ branding.

Hopefully they’ll do the right thing.

Good luck.

Here’s one link to the original story:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/371992/comet-sold-94-000-counterfeit-copies-of-windows

bearnecessities

Oh buggerit! Thanks for the headsup 😀

leffeboy

I think drac is right here. I also used to get it around the time of monthly updates and it would usually disappear after a restart. IIRC the Comet discs were genuine software, they just hadn’t paid MS the appropriate fee for providing them. First option for me would be to do a system restore to roll back a week and see if that fixes it.

nealglover
    Free Member

….or call Microsoft.

Don’t waste the price of a phone call.

Wait for them to call you.

They ring me at least once a week to tell me there are errors on my PC.

bearnecessities

Oh, it just disappeared… 😀

I didn’t even do anything; ah well. Thanks for all advice anyhow!

They ring me at least once a week to tell me there are errors on my PC

That’s a scam, just so you know – they nearly conned my Dad.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I clicked on the link to activate windows on mycomputer and followed the contact us button. The contact us page is directly linked to your copy of windows and asks you for a few numbers, it then activates windows again. No idea why it decided my brand new laptop (Dell) didn’t have active windows after 2 months.

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s a scam, just so you know – they nearly conned my Dad.

Maybe I should have included a smiley in my post 😉

maccruiskeen

Oh, it just disappeared…

I didn’t even do anything; ah well.

I think the NSA gave MS the heads up for you. 🙂

bearnecessities

I think the NSA gave MS the heads up for you

Always hoped I was well connected!

Maybe I should have included a smiley in my post

I did wonder, just didn’t know if you were too busy restoring cars to their former glory to know! 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

Linux ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If it wasn’t for PS and Xara I’ll drop Windows like a brick.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"This copy of windows is not genuine"’ is closed to new replies.