• This topic has 96 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • This book changed my life…..
  • case
    Free Member

On the Road – was the book for me when I was a teenager.

Recent books that have done it for me would include JPod and Life After God by Douglas Coupland. Engleby by Sebastian Faulks. The Arabesk Trilogy by Jon Courtney Grimwood or Syrup by Max Barry (the funniest book I have ever read).

Ratfighter
    Free Member

Kinda got beaten to it but definitely
    On the road by Jack Kerouac. It made me realise that I too was spending every moment just chasing that last hairpin turn too

The other and more sporting focussed I suppose was
    the mind gym by Gary Mack. Virtually every page turned was met with “I do do that!!” Helped me a lot with “head based” issues in my Archery

case
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot to add anything by William Gibson or John le Carre. (Gibson’s early stuff is more sci-fi but the recent stuff like Spook Country are pretty straight thriller material).

finbar
    Free Member

Bit of a cliche but War and Peace is geniunely amazing. It’s such an epic, and you spend so long (entire lifetimes almost) with the characters, it’s like a part of my was missing when i finished reading it.

rOcKeTdOg
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another Steinbeck to consider – The Grapes of Wrath – a stunning book that left me 100% fulfilled at the end.

hora
    Free Member

Cross of Iron book Willi Heinrich (semi-autobiographical).

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert Pirsig

I re-read this book every few years and it helps keep my life in balance.

Muke
    Free Member

Marley and Me….

…made me cry.
    The films out soon as well.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Empty Cradles – Margaret Humphreys

not sure it changed my life but it did move me

willard

Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

lex
    Free Member

“Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates’ Tom Robbins
    Switters is not a character you’ll forget in a hurry. He turns down some cocaine with the phrase “why take a drug that makes me feel better looking and more entertaining than I know I already am?” A phrase I’ve used myself whenever some coked up boor gets on my tits.
    Or ‘Any Human Heart’ by William Boyd. An epic.

Keva
    Free Member

Fingerprints of the Gods – Graham Hancock.

enfht
    Free Member

Didnt quite “change my life” but “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time”

A Kestrel for a Knave (Kes)
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    A Clockwork Orange
    Bonfire of the Vanities

Jolsa

An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan by Jason Elliot
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unexpected-Light-Afghanistan-Bestselling-Backlist/dp/0312288468

Also nearly finished Shantaram which has been a gripping read

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Affluenza by Oliver James.

Or….

finbar
    Free Member

Brave new World is a great book. I thought of another: “The Long Walk”, by Slavomir Rawicz. It’s the story of a Polish army officer who was captured and sent to a work camp in Siberia. He, along with a group of other prisoners, escaped and walked (!) to India.

It’s allegedly autobiographical, though there are some records that suggest it can’t have been entirely true. Either way, i can’t recommend it enough. Incidentally my grandfather was a Pole and was also captured and sent to Siberia, and – like the author – eventally moved to Nottingham after the war.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Not really changed my life, but a book that I simply cannot stop thinking about, more than 2 years after reading (and also the book my book group keeps returning to discussing) is We Need to Talk About Kevin bu Lionel Shriver.

Philby

To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Kite Runner
    The World We Are In – Will Hutton – a rather eye-opening account of world economics and Britain’s relationships with the US and Europe

IHN

Lonesome Dove – Larry McMurtry. Simply wonderful.

(and, in the same series, Dead Man’s Walk, Comanche Moon and Streets of Laredo. Don’t be put off by the cowboy theme, they’re truely excellent)

Just started re-reading Grapes of Wrath. Enjoying it more this time. Once Ther Was a War is another excellent Steinbeck read.

surfer
    Free Member

“The Long Walk”, by Slavomir Rawicz. It’s the story of a Polish army officer who was captured and sent to a work camp in Siberia. He, along with a group of other prisoners, escaped and walked (!) to India.

I read that also Finbar, a great book.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Everyones probably read them but the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series of books are brilliant, read them quite a few times now, in fact stuff by Douglas Adams always puts me in a good mood, he was a good and funny writer…

Big fan of John Steinbeck too, Cannery row being my favorite, recently found a book of the diaries that he wrote on a trip to the Sea of Cortez with Ed Ricketts to study marine life that I found quite inspiring…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Just finished “The reader” which I found extremely moving.
    My favourite authors are John Irving (The World According to Garp) and Douglas Coupland (Generation X, JPod, etc). From their works I’d recommend A Prayer for Owen Meany (Irving) and Girlfriend in a Coma (Coupland).

EdwardH

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque has to be the book that left me feeling more than any other I have read, though it certainly isnt a happy feel good book.

If I want some easy entertainement then I find Christopher Brookmyre quite good. Some of Tom Sharps books have made me laugh more than any others.

Me
    Free Member

The Great Bicycle Adventure
    by Nicholas Crane

The best book I ever read.

/thread.

enfht
    Free Member

joemarshall
    Free Member

Feet in the Clouds – a book all about how a relatively normal person became a fell running nutter. Although there is a danger you will find yourself getting sick desires to put on funny shoes and super-short shorts and go jogging up mountains.

Joe

firestarter
    Free Member

the magician by raymond e feist
    the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera
    the feather men by ranulph fiennes
    lord of the rings by you know who
    annapurna by maurice herzog

in no particular order 😉

waihiboy
    Free Member

as i kid i read ‘flowers in the attic’ read it few years back, still a very powerful book.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I learnt to read with books like this. Probbly the most influential books of my life!

jester
    Free Member

Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

Hitchikers books

MrSparkle

Thirded To kill a mocking bird – Harper Lee
    The wasp factory – Iain Banks
    Fear and loathing in Las Vegas – Hunter S Thompson

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Milan Kundera
    The Sound and the Furry – William Faulkner
    The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck, just for the very last page alone.

montylikesbeer

A brave new world takes some beating, but heart of darkness is up there as well.

For shock try Last Exit to Brooklyn, heavy subject matter but a classic

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Not life changing but highly recomended:

The Road to Nab End, and Beyond Nab End by William Woodruff.

Makes you realise how easy we have it now. Crikey, it were grim up North in the early 1900s.

Also, Two Wheels North, story of two lads just out of high school riding bikes from Santa Rosa to Seattle in 1909 – now that was adventure

Gary_M
    Free Member

surfer I was just about to type The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists then read your post. So how about Keep the Aspidistra Flying or Homage to Catalonia or anything by Orwell really.

Mike59

Handmaid’s Tale

The Magus

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Never Let Me Go

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Mike59

The Time Traveler’s Wife

FoxyChick
    Free Member

“Way of the Peaceful Warrior” by Dan Millman

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘This book changed my life…..’ is closed to new replies.