Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • This App Store issue
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I know it’s been done before but this happens to me at least a couple of times a day when browsing the site on my phone. Just launched App Store there at the Expedia app, went back to safari and site had a ‘do you want to open in app store’ pop up.

iPhone 5 running latest software.

maccruiskeen

Its something I hoped the iOS update would have addressed. It stlll happens but not as often as it used to which I presume Mark and co have done some valiant work to try and stem it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Must be a site issue rather than iOS though sury as doesn’t happen on any other site.

Mark

It’s an internet thing. It’s not just us. It’s currently affecting a huge number of ad driven websites.

maccruiskeen

Must be a site issue rather than iOS though sury as doesn’t happen on any other site.

It happens at lots of sites but, like me, STW may be the only site you browse where you experience it.

How and where you see it depends partly on the sites you use and partly on whether the ‘shady’ ads served by those sites target you or not. Obviously each site can serve up dozens of different ads and those ads are different for different users, so you’ll only get the issue if a site is serving particular ads to you

The OS issue is that the advert (or rather code hidden in the advert) is able to take the decision on behalf of the user and exit the browser and open another app. Its not apple’s or android’s fault that ads are being exploited in this way but it should be possible for the user to turn off that functionality. Its an issue thats been around long enough to be addressed.

CountZero

Gary_M – Member

Yes it does, as I’ve pointed out on the other thread about this subject. Flipboard does it, and I’ve had it happen elsewhere.
    It isn’t happening as often, for sure, but it does still happen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘This App Store issue’ is closed to new replies.