Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • This afternoon's bimbo post (yep, twice in one day)
  • cinnamon_girl

There are so many nice and knowledgeable people on here that I thought you might like another question 🙄

Hope Mini Pro brake lever (poncey carbon one) – the lever doesn't spring back after it is used. What do I need to do please?

I have looked at instruction leaflet and Hope's web site and there's nothing to help me.

I want to ride my bike at Swinley tomorrow – HELP!

coogan
    Free Member

Take your hand off it.

I thang you. I'm here till Thursday, try the steak…

Oggles
    Free Member

Allen key and spanner. Try slackening off the bolt that it pivots around.

cinnamon_girl

Oggles – I am NOT using a spanner, this lever cost me £25 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Probably take the lever and pivot off, clean it, and grease it.
    Although if the pivot is worn, this may not work.

It's strange they've not fixed this issue since my 04 Mono Minis used to do it.
    Another reason why I ditched Hope brakes, I guess.

As for Swinley tomorrow, why not just take a different bike?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The easy answer is that the nylon discs it runs on are drity and you just need to back the lever retaining bolt off a little. Or that the brass barrel that conect the lever to the push rod has become dirty and sticky.

The not so easy (but less common) answer is that the retuen spring in the master cylinder has failed, although I've only seen this once and it was on a bike that had been left in a cellar dirty for over a year.

Oggles
    Free Member

I am NOT using a spanner, this lever cost me £25

You have to use a spanner to hold the nut on the pivot bolt! If simply loosening the bolt doesn't work then as people have said take the whole thing off and clean out any dirt, and regrease.

justme
    Free Member

perhaps a squirt of gt40 to the pivot area and a wiggle may work g

justme
    Free Member

sorry gt85

bassspine
    Free Member

justme +1 GT85 (instant spanner in a can) is the first thing to try, if that doesn't free it up, escalate.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Could just be the pivot's got dirty so as Justme said a squirt of gt85 or similar may help.
    If that doesn't do it either the return spring has gone (doubtful) or the seals in the master cylinder are dying (but then the brake wouldn't work) – both these issues require a lever/cylinder service which wouldn't be an issue if you didn't need the bike for tomorrow.
    My money's on the pivot being dirty/sticky.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Careful with what you squirt around there. If it's using the same little rubber conical dust cover that my old pro levers use, they really don't like WD40 over a period of time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘This afternoon's bimbo post (yep, twice in one day)’ is closed to new replies.