Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • This afternoon, I've been bodging….
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Following on from this post…..

The starting point. Standard Brompton hub dynamo light, mounted in the usual very low position. The objective of today’s bodging is to get the light on the handlebars. Well, actually I’m going to swap the light for one with a stand light. This will be much better for London traffic and pedestrian dodging.

IMG_1987 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

IMG_1988 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    Raw materials

IMG_1989 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    This started off as one of those right angled repair things, which can be picked up in the big DIY sheds. Here it’s been roughly cut and bent to size

IMG_1993 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    Offering up the light to check I’m roughly right.

This is the replacement light, a Busch & Muller Lumotec Lyt n plus. It’s the same as the factory fitted light, but the ‘plus’ bit adds a capacitor so that the light stays illuminated for a bit wheel the wheel isn’t moving. This, as you can see, has also been subject to some previous bodging by me. The capacitor isn’t very well mounted in this light, so I sorted that and replaced the poor standard plastic sliding switch with the toggle switch you can see here

IMG_1994 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    The bodged bracket now attched to a Hope light clamp. Simple bolt and nyloc nut holds this on

IMG_1995 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

IMG_1997 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    Checking the fold….

IMG_1999 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    …and checking with the lamp unit on – fits well

IMG_2000 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    My Brompton now has a wiring loom!

IMG_2006 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    Connected up at the old lamp position

IMG_2008 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr
    Finished – it even works, doesn’t foul anything when folded or unfolded!!

Few more pics here for those who are bored!

maxtorque

I give it a month till those connectors corrode!

(hint: try some automotive IP68 rated ones…)

Slogo
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member

(hint: try some automotive IP68 rated ones…)

POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

this!

For now cover the terminals/cripms with Vaseline/or grease to help stop corrosion.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

might be worth getting some electrical silicon gel to cover the exposed plugs with. Halfords / ebay sell it. Should come undone too if need be.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I read as far as the word ‘Brompton’ then I switched off. :mrgreen:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Was running with the same type of connectors on my old Brompton for 2 years without corrosion!

MrNice
    Free Member

Good work there!

I spent a day last week bodging one of those mending plates to make a new mudguard mount. There just wasn’t enough clearance for it to run under the brake bridge so I cut a section from the middle of the mudguard and created a new bracket which extends over the brake caliper. Very satisfying, if ridiculously time consuming, and it gave me the excuse to buy a riveter which gave a much better looking result than nuts and bolts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘This afternoon, I've been bodging….’ is closed to new replies.