Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • This a crack?
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

This a crack of the carbon or the paint?

Sorry for the poor photos.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nG1LZk]SAM_1067[/url] by Shorty1831, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nG24bN]SAM_1066[/url] by Shorty1831, on Flickr

JoeG
    Free Member

No, that slot in the cable stop is supposed to be there. 😉

I can only guess that’s what you’re asking about since that is what is in focus. 🙄

It’s a sticker 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Move the camera further away and zoom in.

But yes, it looks like a crack.

spooky_b329

Get the camera focussed on the black text!

Some smart phones let you tap the area of the screen to focus off centre, some point and shoot cameras focus on the centre of the image so half press the shutter button whilst the black text is the centre of the image, then hold it and move back to the crack, then fully press the shutter to get a focussed shot.

Wozza
    Free Member

I had a second hand Trek Fuel with marks similar to that. I was told they were rigid paint cracking due to the carbon flexing. I never proved that to be total nonsense but some of those marks did turn into cracks.

If you’re the original owner I’d be sending a better pic to the manufacturer.

cp

I have a carbon 456 with a similar hairline crack on the surface of the underside of the wishbone. Chipping the paint off around it showed it was just a paint crack, and nothing in the carbon.

ruffride
    Free Member

Take the back wheel out then push an pull the rear end see if it opens up more

bigG
    Free Member

Yes it’s a crack, sell me the frame for £2.99 as it’s knackered now and consider yourself lucky I’ve saved you the cost of recycling it.

Mind if I use your pic when I post it up in the classifieds as cosmetic damage only?

In honesty, it’s impossible to see in your pic.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I know it’s hard to tell from the photos. I’ll send picture to On-one and maybe take it to them

njee20
    Free Member

Or take better photos…?

Superficial
    Free Member

Depends how the frame is manufactured. I’ve heard of some carbon frames cracking in the midline and it was just put down to a paint defect around the two carbon ‘halves’ which had been bonded together. That one looks a bit suspicious though.

I don’t think anyone on here will be able to say with any certainty.

aracer
    Free Member

No experts in determining structural properties from blurry photos of paintjobs then?

andybanks
    Free Member

Best to give On One a shout. I had a similar crack on my head tube and they did a warranty replacement.

firestarter
    Free Member

Out of interest does it creak like a mofo in normal use as ive just built one and it makes a right noise when pedalling

Superficial
    Free Member

No experts in determining structural properties from blurry photos of paintjobs then?

Well, I’m sure there are plenty who think they can infer all sorts of facts from that picture.

Shorty121
    Free Member

firestarter – no it doesn’t creak at all

firestarter
    Free Member

Bugger mine is loud round bb area. Hope its not a crack , very strong stuff shame paint isnt 🙂

andybanks
    Free Member

My C456 creaks like hell

passtherizla
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    Move the camera further away and zoom in.
    But yes, it looks like a crack.
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah because that’s a sure fire way of getting a better photo….

sq225917
    Free Member

It’s blurred because it’s under the minimum focal length of the lens.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Exactly. So moving away and zooming in won’t help… Moving away might help.

kayak23

It could also be that the subject you want to highlight isn’t central so the cameras brain thinks you want the ground in focus. Try touching the screen where you want it to focus if it’s a phone. Mine focuses like that anyways.
    Also, move out just a little.

Even if you get a good shot of it, it’s going to be pretty hard to say whether that’s cosmetic or structural. I’d be contacting the frame manufacturer personally.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s just a witness crack. Some carbon bikes have very thick, hard, brittle paint which cracks in areas where the carbon flexes. I’ve just sold my 1996 Roubaix with three witness cracks, complete with photos and full description on Ebay. The frame had the cracks for over 5000 miles and as far as I know the bloke who bought it is still riding it very happily.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    It’s just a witness crack. Some carbon bikes have very thick, hard, brittle paint which cracks in areas where the carbon flexes. I’ve just sold my 1996 Roubaix with three witness cracks, complete with photos and full description on Ebay. The frame had the cracks for over 5000 miles and as far as I know the bloke who bought it is still riding it very happily.

You’re in the wrong job, if you can define the depth do that crack from those pictures.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘This a crack?’ is closed to new replies.