• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimob.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Thirsk
  • kellyg12
    Free Member

Is there any biking groups in or about thirsk. New to area

pocpoc
    Free Member

Don’t know, but there’s a (small) trail centre at the top of Sutton Bank with a bike shop there – could be worth calling in there and asking.

EDIT: Sutton Bank Bikes

ogden
    Free Member

Think theres a few road clubs about not sure about MTB

chemicalali
    Free Member

The Swaledale Outdoor Club is based in Richmond and has a MTB section with regular rides in the Dales and Moors

el_boufador

There’s some great riding along the escarpment / Sutton bank and then into the number park. Have fun!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Used to live there, MTB scene is rubbish in the local area, flat, muddy fields is all you’ve got to look forward too I’m afraid
    Give North Yorkshire cycles a shout for the road scene.
    Ended up driving to dalby more often as it’s only an hour away.
    The trails at Sutton bank aren’t great either especially in winter!
    May well be moving back there in a year or so, will have to buy a road bike I think!

chestrockwell

There’s a North Yorkshire group over on retrobike the has regular rides not far from you. Great bunch and you don’t need an old bike. 😉

wombat

You’re just down the road from me.

IMO you need a car (or to ride 8/10 miles out of Thirsk) to get to decent trails.

There’s some decent riding along the edge of the moors between Osmotherley and Kilburn, the area around Sutton Bank is OK but personally I avoid the waymarked trails as IMO there’s better riding to be had in the area.

But then, I’m only partially Gnarr and can only demonstrate entry-level Radness so YMMV

funkweasel
    Free Member

I’m up in Northallerton. Usually go to Hamsterley or something further afield, but Sutton bank is a muddy pile of meh a lot of the time. Dalby is awful but more bearable 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

You could get up to Swaledale.

https://www.facebook.com/dalesbikecentre/

Have monthly ‘shop’ rides, also do a Friday evening run ‘DBC – Friday Ride Club’ on Facebook.

Paul

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I believe there’s some DH trails on Sutton Bank?

If not there’s plenty of XC riding around the NYM’s, although like most north Yorkshire stuff it’s 40miles of fireroad and 800m of gnarr.

Look on the bright side, you’re within 90min of

Peak District
    Lake district
    North York Moors
    Yorkshire Dales

And the seven stanes are a (long) daytrip or weekend, I used to drive up Friday night after a late dinner, get 6 hours kip in the car at GT car park, ride the black, have a lazy lunch over 2-3 hours in the town, ride the red in the afternoon, sleep a lot, then do the blue Sunday morning and Inners in the afternoon before driving back.

There are quite a few roadie clubs local too. So if there isn’t riding for the door, just get fit and do big days out somewhere else at the weekend.

sb88
    Free Member

http://www.venture.bike/thirsk-tootlers/

Me old dad helped start them – they do road rides and seem to tend to split into 2 groups – one doing a longer, harder ride and one doing a less hard ride, either separately or meeting up on the way. The road riding round there is great – not many cars, decent roads, rolling hills in one direction, flatter in the other. It’s perfect ‘gravel’ road territory too – lots of unfinished roads/tracks e.g. the route from Thirsk to York

I bet there are members who would be/are keen on doing more MTB. Sutton Bank has a MTB shop and trails.

sb88
    Free Member

For general fitness, the running club does a good circuits and interval sprints session one night a week which lots of folk who don’t do much other running seem to go to.

And give Iaen a visit too! Just off the town square.

Home

augustuswindsock

Guisborough is only half hour drive away, and there’s outstanding riding (albeit v steep and techy on mostly very cheeky trails) around Osmotherly, look on strava, most rides start at the car park at the far side of cod beck reservoir.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I used to ride occasionally with a group who met up at Guisborough. If you have a car, the riding up there is worth the drive.

el_boufador

I’ll reiterate, there is some excellent riding around Sutton Bank. If you don’t think there is, then you aren’t looking hard enough. Trail centre is OK I would say, but I am not talking about that really.

This one for example, is one of my favourite descents, anywhere. Superb rocky singletrack giving way to a sunken lane twisty rollercoaster chute. Bit muddy in the wet (especially the bottom) mind.

el_boufador

Ps let me know if you want any more pointers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, used to live just down the road in Huby, near Easingwold
    Some great riding to be had if you know where to look..
    pretty sure Singlespeed Shep is a local? Sure he’d point you out some good routes..
    As for Road riding, there’s also lots of great rides to be had.. call into York Cycleworks, & they’ll see you right..

wombat

Sounds as though there’s a few of us in the area, anyone up for a forum ride out sometime?

jimob
    Free Member

I live in Stockton on Tees but I ride every Thursday night and most sunday morning’s with a few lad’s from Northallerton. Tonight it was Hamsterley but it’s usually around Osmotherley , Kilburn , Boltby Dalby (off piste ) and Guisborough (when it’s dry). Feel free to drop me a line if you fancy a group ride . We’re a piss taking friendly bunch

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Thirsk’ is closed to new replies.