Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thinking through my bike collection, and their places in my riding (Bike Plans)
  • miketually
    Free Member

For the last year or so, I’ve had two rigid SS bikes. My Inbred is a 26″ geared bike, converted using a Doofer. My Solitude is a SS-specific drop-bar 29er.

I’ve been using these two bikes for all my riding, including getting to/from work, so they’ve both been in various states of disrepair as commuting + no maintenance = a hard life for a bike.

Now that I’ve got my Yuba Mundo for commuting duties, I’ve been able to get my Inbred sorted out.

It’s had disks fitted and a general repair, and is looking much happier.

My Solitude will soon be going back to smaller tyres, and will be my dirt-roadie/monstercross bike.

So, I’ll have a commute/lug-stuff-about bike, a road/distance bike and an everything else bike.

This is where n=n+1 starts to have its wicked way with my brain…

I recently had a brief go on my brother’s Stinky, down the Skills Loop at Hamsterley and rode a drop that I bottle on my Inbred and Solitude. I don’t want a FS/DH bike, and I’ll always be a little bit jey (my Gnarl Factor maxes out at 3), but it got me a little suspension curious (thinking about Gnarl Factor 4). I’ve even been watching the videos of the Ragley Bikes, like the Blue Pig and thinking how great it would be for the ‘secret’ stuff at Hamsterley.

Then I heard the phrase “superlight rigid only 29er“… Damn it, Brant! 😉

The New Plan

* Yuba Mundo left as it is, for commuting and buying big bags of dog and chicken food;
    * Solitude as dirt roadie/monstercross for longer on-road and easy-off-road rides;
    * Inbred made a bit more burly, with the addition of either a cheap-ish or second hand suspension fork or a 29er front wheel, and maybe running 1×9 gears, for shorter/group off-road rides where I’ll be riding bumpier stuff;
    * Superlight rigid-only 29er for all day/epic rides.

No real point to this post, but whaddaya think?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Less thinking more riding?

oldgit
    Free Member

No I understand. I’m a bit OCD with bikes so they have to fit my needs or else it all gets a bit confusing. So there can be no place in my collection for a bike that does’nt fit in with my day to day needs.
    So to that end my Nicolai Argon s/s is used 100% of the time when the clocks go back and is then stripped down and stored away when they go forward again. Then out comes my custom build XTC race bike.
    I do have my road bike for racing and training for racing and that’s it.

I have tinkered with suspension bikes and retro but it’s always been an uncomfortable and expensive waste of time.

Pointless reply over.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketually
    Free Member

Less thinking more riding?

Work getting in the way of riding right now, as it does every year at this time (coursework marking deadlines).

Pointless reply over.

I’m not sure that you can make a pointless reply to a pointless post 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Sorry just joshing – hope you find a solution 🙂

I have 4 bikes but my formula right now is n-2 so am going to give 2 away.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I keep going through a terrible cycle where I get loads of bikes, get confused about which one to ride and have no time to keep them working properly, so I sell most of them. I then want more bikes etc.

Could you not ditch the Solitude and use the 29er instead. Make the inbred pretty useable for any proper offroad stuff with a 120mm fork and away you go. Then buy a few more bikes…..

miketually
    Free Member

Ditch the Solitude? Never!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thinking through my bike collection, and their places in my riding (Bike Plans)’ is closed to new replies.