Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thinking of upgrading my Hope stuff, but where to draw the line?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Currently running two bikes with bulb hubs, flow time and e4 brakes. They’re the old five bolt rotors as well. Thinking about treating myself to the new tech evo brakes. Should I sell my wheels and buy some hope hoops or get the rotors special order from hope to fit the five bolt hubs I’ve got?

alfabus
    Free Member

Yes

(choose your own meaning, but rest assured that I’m on your side)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

why change the rotors? are they worn out?

z1ppy

why change the rotors… for a bigger size to make the brake more powerful maybe? (or better cooling on Alp trips)

I think you’ll spend more money by going for the wheels.
    But does that matter to you?

PJM1974
    Free Member

FWIW, the Pro II Evo hubs are future proof in that they’ll happily accept all of the current axle standards (until Giant comes along and decides that a rear axle of 11.5mm will make their bikes 37% more rad).

My old Bulb rear hub really couldn’t deal with a maxle and destroyed it’s own axle three times before Hope offered me an Evo replacement at cost and I haven’t had an issue since.

That said, if you’re coping just fine without the need to dip into new fangled tech then just go with the brakes and stick with the rotors and hubs you’ve already got.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Current rotor track isn’t deep enough.

coatesy
    Free Member

Recently had a custom rotor with extra braking depth from them myself, no pad overhanging the spokes has stopped the brake judder I was experiencing. Much prefer the sealing of the freehub on the older hubs, i’d stick with them if you’re not having problems other than disc sizing.

nedrapier

how much was your custom rotor, coatesy?

coatesy
    Free Member

Seem to remember it being about £28 retail, was a 6 bolt 160mm,round with 17mm deep concentric braking surface.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers Coatesy. Must say, there’s nothing wrong with the hubs. They also have the ti freehub body.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of upgrading my Hope stuff, but where to draw the line?’ is closed to new replies.