Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • thinking of trading in my 5 spot for……
  • muggomagic

I really like my 5 spot and have since the day i bought it (some 3 1/2 years ago) never considered getting rid, but just lately my head has been turned by the Cannondale Rize. Am I just going through a phase, is it just infatuation, or will I be really happy with my new ride?
    Maybe I should just spend some cash tarting the 5 spot up?

the_lecht_rocks

is your 5 Spot HL ?
    If so, wise up.
    go get a new shock and new fork. i recommend a monarch 4.2 and a fox float 15mm BT.
    then you’ll be laughing.
    try new bushings in there too – freshen the old girl up nicely, that will 🙂

muggomagic

yep it’s an ’05 HL. here she is.

Hadge
    Free Member

Is it a medium frame? Nah don’t keep it – get the Dale and sell me the Turner 😀

muggomagic

if i do hadge you’ll be the 1st to know.

rs
    Free Member

I know how you feel, i thought i’d never sell my 06 enduro, fantastic bike, but one day i just found myself getting bored with it, swapped all the part over onto a dialled alpine and really enjoying the change, i’ll probably jump back on a full suss again in a year or so but sometime you just need a change.

firestarter
    Free Member

tlr can you really tell the difference between the hl and the tnt 5 spots ? ive ridden both and cant at all. just curious . cheers

oh and to the op no keep the turner 😉

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a Rize, just waiting to find out a price and availability

thomthumb
    Free Member

what? you need help if you’d get rid of one of the best bikes EVER made and buy some piece of crap like a cannondale!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

don’t do it, you’ll regeret it

i swaped mine last year after 3 years but went for something compltely differant, an intense 5.5 EVP

i lke it but the 5 spot is my favourite bike by far

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmm swapping one bike that is sorted and won’t break, for one that will break…oooo toughie.

You would be mad to do that swap. Keep the Turner.

Joxster
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

what? you need help if you’d get rid of one of the best bikes EVER made and buy some piece of crap like a cannondale!

What’s wrong with the Cannondale? Should I avoid getting one or is it a case that it’s a mass produced brand and not a boutique brand?

firestarter
    Free Member

crack and fail 😉 tho ive had two and cracked neither lol. i gave my turner some luving recently and its got new wheels and a gd post oh and some m4’s 😉

ruminant
    Free Member

Bloody hell its like a broken record “cannondale, Ooh Crack and fail”. TURN IT IN!!

That was years ago. Cannondale are one of only a few manufacturers that offer a lifetime warranty on there frames, would you do that on something that kept failing?

Bet you won’t go near a skoda either, even though they are essentially a volkswagen.

As for the bike choice, as said above, maybe a bit of an ugrade will break the phase otherwise a rize is a good choice. Or if your after something a bit different Chumba frames have started appearing on here recently might be worth a look at

cheers

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

get a test ride and if you like it sell the turner.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bloody hell its like a broken record “cannondale, Ooh Crack and fail”. TURN IT IN!!

That was years ago. Cannondale are one of only a few manufacturers that offer a lifetime warranty on there frames, would you do that on something that kept failing?

So you haven’t heard about the new Moto’s breaking then? I have.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr143/madmax_photo/?action=view&current=NewSpot001.jpg My 2004 with new paint and new forks and bigger brakes.Great fun! You won’t regreat revamping the old girl!
    Thanx Max

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would buy a skoda because its a vw

there is just something wrong with cannondales

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Your going to sell one of the best bikes ever to buy a run of the mill albeit good production bike.

5spot owner

firestarter
    Free Member

as i said ruminant ive had two cannondales and broke neither 😉 but id still rather keep the turner

schwimoid
    Free Member

lol gotta love the “its boutique therefore nothing else compares” attitude.

I have to admit, the 5 spot is a nice bike (cant really go wrong with a HL frame), but there nothing special!

Ive had my dale for a while now and its a fantastic bike (not a rize but an 05 prophet 4x) ace geometry, simple, climbs pretty well (Pushed Vanilla R),descends extremely well.

If you fancy one give it a go!

Or if your going to revamp the old bike, new bushes, dump the horrendous DHX Air for some RP2 or 23 action(with a PUSH upgrade if your feeling flush) and get the forks serviced with some enduro seals. Dont bother with getting new forks for the “15mm” its not worth it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mick as if they’d ever admit to not being able to tell the difference!

firestarter
    Free Member

lol gotta love the “its boutique therefore nothing else compares” attitude.

lol well ive had two dales and now on a turner nowt to do with boutique its just a better bike than the previous dales i had 😉

heihei

Since buying my 5-Spot in 05, I’ve had (and mostly sold on) a Turner 6-Pack, Cove Stiffee, Ti 456, Ibis Mojo, Titus Motolite, and a DW Spot. Despite some of these being better in certain areas than the original 5-Spot, I’ll never sell it. In fact I’ve just had it resprayed yellow, and have built it up with coil Lyrics just for laughs and love it! Don’t sell – it’s a classic and you’ll end up regretting it!!

schwimoid
    Free Member

Wasnt aimed at you “Mick(firestarter)” 🙂

Its really down to personal preference,

Ive owned a 5 spot and didnt get on with it at all (or any HL suspension bike for that matter).

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Yes nothing to do with boutique, i also feel people that people buy too many bikes , hardtail, full suss , ss,road, jump / 4x changing it every few months or year. Have one bike and ride it till it dies, i had my last bike for 9 years till it died, i think to many people read the magazines and have to jump on all the band wagons , new forks every year for minimal increases in performance , try using the same SID forks for 9 yrs and then getting some 08 pikes with 20mm axle. Feels like your getting your money’s worth. plus i’m poorer than most on here

DezB
    Free Member

Seen a Rize in the flesh?
    Bloody lovely they are.

firestarter
    Free Member

lol cynic-al like i say ive ridden the hl and now own the tnt and cant tell the difference i even tried the other month (as i keep hearing the old hl is better tale ) when out with my mate on his hl we swapped a few times and couldnt really tell owt different really (apart from my shock is pushed so was better ;-))

rs
    Free Member

😆 well ive had two dales and now on a turner nowt to do with boutique its just a better bike than the previous dales i had

A new bike is always the best bike in the world

firestarter
    Free Member

well there is that rs but my new one is a 456 and ive been riding only that for the last couple of weeks while the turner gathers dust lol best i go hide in the corner 😉

Farticus

Try it, and try to decide when the fires of consumerism have burnt out a bit. I’m forever buying stuff I don’t need and regretting it … Jones H bars, Rohloff hubs, Eriksen seatposts, Forge shifters to name a few have all come and gone (through Classifieds).

My 5 Spot nearly got sold, but I’m so glad I didn’t. An Argos paint job (beautiful green, it is), 5.5 rockers, RP23 & Pikes have made it a fantastic ride (that DHX Air fitted to the 05 vintage was a disaster). Couldn’t resist PUSHing the forks and the shock, though.

Lastly, take you beer goggles off. That Rize is like lusting after a fat lass* after 10 pints – won’t seem such a smart move in the morning, when you’ve already got a jaw-dropping beauty at home.

*Obviously, you may go in for the fuller-figure but that’s up to you. No insult intended to any plus-sized lady readers of this thread, but if you are one and are reading this then GET SOME BLOODY EXERCISE.

woodsman
    Free Member

Farticus, could you really tell the difference between the DHX air and RP23? I’ve got the DHX air on my 05 hl spot, and it feels great, more so the harder I ride it, it’s super absorbant on jump landings – just comes into it’s own. I’ve not had any stuck down problems, so maybe I’ve got a good one!

I have a Rohloff on my hardtail, and I love that too, so maybe we just have different tastes.

Back to the poster’s original question – I would do it, keep the spot.

Farticus

Farticus, could you really tell the difference between the DHX air and RP23?

Yes – absolutely night & day different. With the DHX it always felt soggy, whenever I stood in the pedals it felt dreadfully soft & energy-sapping. I had it for 3 years and tried all sorts of adjustments, but none gave a ride that was anywhere as near as good as my old XCE (which ran a PUSH’d Vanilla RC).

The RP23 gives a much tauter feel (esp. as I have full pro-pedal on it) – I can stand on the pedals and it doesn’t move much at all. Much more stable and still soaks up the bumps nicely. Whether any of that is due to having it PUSH’d I don’t know. What I do know is that it now rides as well as the old XCE.

firestarter
    Free Member

i thought my anthem didnt bob much til i got the turner with pushed rp23 i dont even mess with the various positions now i just run it fully open all the time

GEDA
    Free Member

Whats the difference between a Turner and an old Giant AC. They always look the same to me? (Promise not a troll, the AC design I found a bit bobby. Like Mick said about the turner it would have probably been better with a newer shock)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I got my 5spot in May 05.

Its the best ‘all-round’ bike I’ve ever ridden, but its just a bike. There are probably better bikes out there these days, but the 5spot, at least for me, has killed that whole ‘I-need-a-new-bike-every-12months’ thing that most of us seem to suffer from.

When that itch comes back (I’m sure it will) then I’ll be doing some very serious research and test riding before I take the plunge.

Seems to me you have the itch. Go and scratch it.
    8)

firestarter
    Free Member

it stopped my itch too but i then got another one a hardtail itch lol hence the new 456 🙂 im hoping i dont want to scratch any thing else for a while now lol

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I’ve ended up with the 5spot and a 456 too.

Nice to have the variety and I think it helps with the new-bike-itis.

Hadge
    Free Member

My 5 Spot came with a DHX Air shock and I found it horrible. A completely dead feel when riding. I was lucky at the time as my Intense 5.5 had the same shock length so I fitted a Pushed RP23 and it was way way better. But a chance came along to fit a DHX Coil with a ti spring fitted and that was the best, most plush ride I ever had. So controlled and just superb in every department. I know the coil DHX was heavier but the ti spring meant some weight was lost but the way it worked more than made up for that.

Farticus

There’s something going on … I, too, have a HL 5 Spot and a (Ti)456. Mind you, the 456 is now a commuter, tackling the challenges of London’s towpaths.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘thinking of trading in my 5 spot for……’ is closed to new replies.