Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Thinking of taking up vaping?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I successfully gave up smoking about 5 years ago but still occasionally miss that nicotine hit first thing in the morning…

Has anyone else, non-smoker or ex-smoker taken up vaping? Doesn’t really seem to be any reason not to.

scud
    Free Member

Not as harmful, but you’re still taking on toxins, so in my mind if you really must have nicotine only, get the gum unless you really want to be “sucking on the douche flute”

bruneep

Time will tell.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Apart from putting nicotine into your body, which still isn’t good for you.
    Why bother if you haven’t smoked for 5 years?
    Im still not convinced that vaping is good for you, its better than smoking, but the long term effects of long term vaping are not yet known….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Freed of your nicotine addiction for 5 years and you fancy getting back into it?

You know the only “hit” that nicotine gives you is relief from the withdraw symtoms yeah?

They’re not “safe” they’re less deadly than smoking, they still contain possible carcinogens and irritants, and are a proven gateway to smoking – especially for a former smoker.

For me, the biggest “reason not to” would be the risks are largely unknown.

johnners
    Free Member

still occasionally miss that nicotine hit first thing in the morning…

Me too, but I won’t be taking up vaping. I may be a bit low on self-respect at times but I’ve still got some.

binners

Apart from putting nicotine into your body, which still isn’t good for you.
    Why bother if you haven’t smoked for 5 years?

Because smoking is bloody great! Thats why people do it. You really can’t beat sitting in the sun, in a beer garden, with a cold pint in one hand and a Benson in the other. And the fact that it annoys the type of people who like to get annoyed about this type of thing makes it even better! 😀

Its just a bastard that they kill you. Frightfully inconsiderate of them.

So given that vaping doesn’t kill you… why the hell not? All the pleasure of smoking. None of the slow-lingering-death stuff. Whats not to like?

johndoh
    Free Member

I actually prefer to see people smoking than vaping. (Not that I like either).

Stoner
    Free Member

still occasionally miss that nicotine hit first thing in the morning…

really? I would have thought that any chemical attachment would have long passed. Surely you mean you miss the habitual/ritual of your first Capstan and mug of char in the morning. Try a different habit. What about a w***? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Because smoking is bloody great! Thats why people do it. You really can’t beat sitting in the sun, in a beer garden, with a cold pint in one hand and a Benson three skinner in the other. And the fact that it annoys the type of people who like to get annoyed about this type of thing makes it even better!

FTFY comrade.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Coffee and a smoke on a warm summer’s morning straight out of bed…. mmmmh.

In reality it baffles me.

scaled
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t do it.

Trying to kick vaping is a massive pain in the arse!

binners

He’s missing the breakfast of champions…..

I haven’t smoked for 2 years (I do still vape), but sometimes, particularly when on holiday, I could happily have an espresso and B&H for breakfast

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coffee + fag = breath of champions.

scruff9252

I totally get this – stopped smoking 4ish years ago. Had smoked for 14ish years, Couldn’t run for a bus whilst smoking but replaced smoking with running and built up to an ironman.

I don’t miss the health impacts and the addiction side at all. However, but when it’s nice weather I could easily* enjoy a fag whilst watching the world go by.

Considered cigars but I know I have an addictive personality so would end up hooked.

* in theory – haven’t actually had a cigarette in years.

Torminalis
    Free Member

You should absolutely do that. What could possibly go wrong?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My advice is to save your dosh and imminent re-addiction – buy a copy of The Nicotine Trick by Neil Casey*. If that doesn’t work, then go ahead suck on the doucheflute 😕

*Really need to get another copy as years ago it helped me quit remarkably easily. I passed the book on to friends in need. Later on I stupidly started smoking again, and then semi-switched to vaping but it’s still a nicotine habit and hence still rubbish. Quitting using the book gave me an immense sense of freedom/self-regard that was and is lacking when using nicotine. Nicotine is really crappy stuff.

I actually prefer to see people smoking than vaping. (Not that I like either).

Interesting.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have been quit 10 years, and still get a bit funny when I get a waft of fag smoke.

Wouldn’t want to get back on the nicoteine tho. Just hang about near hospital doors to get an infrequent fix of second hand finest.

Nico
    Free Member

really? I would have thought that any chemical attachment would have long passed. Surely you mean you miss the habitual/ritual of your first Capstan and mug of char in the morning. Try a different habit. What about a w***?

Tar and Char. There’s a marketing trick to be had there.

rawka
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/29/vaping-as-bad-for-your-heart-as-smoking-cigarettes-study-finds/

I used to smoke about 7 years ago. Still get urges every once in a while. The answer is it’s always best to not.

shermer75
    Free Member

I haven’t made my mind up about vaping yet, it looks like there are to be more studies done yet before we know conclusively.

Early signs are mixed, with some toxins no longer being present but other ones (eg diacetyl) now becoming a possible cause for worry.

I’d skip it personally! 🙂

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I vape instead of smoking. It gives me the nicotine I need without the stink and nasty chemicals that are in cigs. It’s better than smoking.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I vape instead of smoking. It gives me the nicotine I need without the stink and nasty chemicals that are in cigs.

Out of interest, what’s in vape? I assume that the nice fragrances aren’t produced by burning lung-helping chemicals.

kerley
    Free Member

really? I would have thought that any chemical attachment would have long passed

Yes, the chemical need for nicotine passes quickly. The habit takes longer.
    What never goes away is the memory of the feeling you get. I gave up 15 years ago but can still remember the nice feeling I got.

Still haven’t even considered vaping though, be better if they could come up with a good ‘safe’ cocaine alternative as that feeling is a better one to get back…

shermer75
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s in vape?

Take a look at diacetyl, I’m not sure if it is in all vaping fluids but it is in some and it looks naaaasssty

Bronchiolitis obliterans

stevextc
    Free Member

I gave up smoking, once for 3 years and once for 5

BOTH times I went back … reasons/excuses etc.

HOWEVER both times really started off with me thinking I could handle “an odd fag at the pub” or similar….

One example was a redundancy – dragged on for months and Friday’s we all went for a lunchtime drink… after a very short time I was waiting for Friday for all the wrong reasons…

Much as vaping is less addictive and much as it undoubtledly does less harm I would REALLY REALLY say don’t.

If you develop a vaping habit by itself that’s one thing but my honest opinion is for the same reasons you state you would use the same reasons to replace the early morning vape…

Vaping isn’t as “satisfying” … so one way this might pan out is you start vaping more and more and then start thinking its NOT filling the gap…. and add just 1 cigarette…..

For clarity … I currently do both… I’d like to go to vaping only and then hopefully knock that on the head.

Cougar

It gives me the nicotine I need want

FTFY.

From what I’ve seen of the vaping ‘hobby’ it’s a lot like MTBing. You start out with a BSO and before you know it you’re looking at 17-ring cassettes, anodised titanium stem caps and carbon fibre seat posts.

One thing I’ve been wondering, is sugar content not an issue? You’re basically inhaling sugar vapour aren’t you (nicotine aside)? Are we going to see a lot of toothless vapers in twenty years?

stevextc
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s in vape? I assume that the nice fragrances aren’t produced by burning lung-helping chemicals.

You can get UK made and certified ONLY nicotine, water and glycerine

I’m sure its not ideal but probably orders of magnitudes less harmful than cycling through a city.

Cougar

If you develop a vaping habit by itself that’s one thing but my honest opinion is for the same reasons you state you would use the same reasons to replace the early morning vape…

One thing in its favour I suppose, is you can quit the physical addiction and the mental addiction separately. You’ve got total control over liquid strength, so you can gradually wean yourself off nicotine whilst still maintaining your daily ritual (if you always have a cigarette after a meal, say).

I’ve a friend who vapes nicotine-free liquids, kicked the physical addiction ages ago but still has the ‘habit’ and whatever distraction / de-stress that provides. I suppose it’s analogous to chewing gum.

taxi25
    Free Member

What never goes away is the memory of the feeling you get. I gave up 15 years ago but can still remember the nice feeling I got.

I agree with this completely. I gave up cigarettes 30yrs ago, but never forgot the pleasure I got from smoking. As I got older I thought bollocks life is for living (possible irony I know) and now smoke a couple of nice cigars a week and absolutely love them. Fortunately I don’t have an addictive personality so their a treat not something I need or rely on.

stevextc
    Free Member

One thing in its favour I suppose, is you can quit the physical addiction and the mental addiction separately. You’ve got total control over liquid strength, so you can gradually wean yourself off nicotine whilst still maintaining your daily ritual (if you always have a cigarette after a meal, say).

I’ve a friend who vapes nicotine-free liquids, kicked the physical addiction ages ago but still has the ‘habit’ and whatever distraction / de-stress that provides. I suppose it’s analogous to chewing gum.

A lot harder than chewing gum but yes….
    However… Vaping is much better than smoking – and smokinng half as much and vaping still better BUT having got to not smoking (or vaping as it wasn’t around at the time) I’d really advise against taking up vaping.

If you subscribe to the Alan Carr explanation … smoking isn’t really a pleasant thing it just stops the unpleasant feeling from not smoking.

He likened it to taking off a pair of shes that are too tight.
    However the difference is the more you have the more addiction to fight so the cycle becomes shorter and shorter between needing a fix and not.

If anyone has already stopped vaping won’t help that “morning” feeling because soon you will be having an afternoon feeling and a before you go to bed feeling as well.

As an ex smoker it’s then not a huge jump to change a cigarette a day …. for one vape… the fact he still has cravings after 5 years (and I did) shows how strong this is only I was stupid enough to think I could handle the odd one.

sweepy
    Free Member

You know the only “hit” that nicotine gives you is relief from the withdraw symtoms yeah?

I’m not so sure, when I stopped smoking I only lasted a day on the nicotine patches cos they sent me high as a kite.

Must be twelve years or so since I stopped, once maybe every couple of years I might have a go on a vape at a works night out but not bothered at all, and packing in the fags was easy.

kayak23

So given that vaping doesn’t kill you… why the hell not? All the pleasure of smoking. None of the slow-lingering-death stuff. Whats not to like?

The looking like you’re pleasuring terminator?

binners

Well speaking for myself – given that most of us took up smoking when we were 15 years old, and stupidly thought we looked cool (and look where that got us?)….. as a bald, fat middle-aged bloke, I’m at the other end of spectrum. I couldn’t give a flying **** what anyone else thinks I look like.

I used to smoke 20 a day. Now I don’t. Hey ho.

Oh… and how long did you spend googling to find the mahoosevest e-cig known to man? 😉

Cougar

It’s just because they’re different, isn’t it. I bet people got stared at plenty the first time cigarettes were introduced.

kayak23

Oh… and how long did you spend googling to find the mahoosevest e-cig known to man?

Not long. You just need the right words 😉

I do think e-cigs look knobbish though. I started smoking at 15, gave up just before I turned 30, 43 now.

If e-cigs reduce the amount of buildings and events where the outside is now just a stench of tabbers and fag carpets then all is good 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

its a very peculiar habit. the idea of being addicted to inhaling a drug and sweet flavoured calming vapour from a handy portable device by choice is something i struggle to comprehend.

there of loads of guilty pleasures out there but when i see people standing in huddled groups sharing their addiction outside offices in the cold i do wonder if the hit is so good they feel its worth it?

binners

If e-cigs reduce the amount of buildings and events where the outside is now just a stench of tabbers and fag carpets then all is good

Couldn’t agree more fella. I’ve become the very worst human being in the world… the born again non-smoker. I find the smell absolutely minging now

Does anyone smoke fags any more anyway?

All my mates used to smoke. Now no-one does. Not one. Plenty vape though

Actually took the father-in-law down to the e-cig shop only yesterday to get him one sorted. And believe me, when Eric calls it a day, you know the writing really is on the wall for the tobacco industry in this country 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Go on, just get back on the fags, you’re only living a life of denial

I totally get this – stopped running 4ish years ago. Had run for 14ish years, Couldn’t smoke on a bus whilst running but replaced running with smoking and built up to an ironlung.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t. I’m an ex-smoker and used and e-cig thing to help stop and so far so good.

For me, part of the smoking ritual was having the smoke in my hand, etc and not so much what (crap) things were in the damn thing. If I started with an e-cig and sure that would progress to a “real” cig at some point.

I like being smoke/vapour free!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of taking up vaping?’ is closed to new replies.