Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • thinking of packing in cycling and taking up motorcycling.
  • ton

i am at the end of my tether with not being able to cycle.
    thinking about jacking it all in.

but i do fancy trying motorcycling, specificaly offoad.
    i can ride a motorbike but do not have a licence. thinking i might do a direct access course and then buy a enduro type bike.

any idea’s/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Go KTM, The EXC models are spot on for enduro and trail us. they come road ready too.

weeksy
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you want to go roaring around or pootling? Trail riders fellowship will be able to help with legal green laning.

For pootling
    suzi van van

Enfield trials

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2007_bikes/bullet%20350T.jpg

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BMW do some decent trail bikes as well

Pigface
    Free Member

Prepare to be knackered like never before. Riding a dirt bike is physicaly very demanding way harder than MTBing IMO.

You are a big lad so maybe a 400/450 4 stroke. Yamahas are pretty bulletproof. Loads about, check out http://www.enduronews.com/ or pick up a copy of TBM magazine. Beware the editor one Si Melber is a very aquired taste 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ really what BMW would you call a decent trail bike?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Ton – why are jacking in mountain biking?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ton give this a go to se if you like

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/

druidh
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    Prepare to be knackered like never before. Riding a dirt bike is physicaly very demanding way harder than MTBing IMO.

This. Proper off-roading on a motorbike is very physically demanding. Given that your health is a contributory factor to jacking in the bikes, I’d consider a road bike and take it from there. Plenty of great places you can get to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pigface – a GS 800?

Or maybe a 650.

Trail bike not enduro

fasthaggis

Ton. It’s great fun if you have good access . Don’t know all the details of your health, but offroad can be very physical if you go away from greenlane stuff. Good luck with finding something. Saw some lads out on Enduro bikes last weekend and it had me dreaming about getting a crosser again.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Hell yes ….
    and then you’ll get all competitive and get involved in Enduro’s or Hare n Hounds , that’s when it starts costing and getting even more physically demanding ……but you’ll love it 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Well good luck with that TJ 😆

boltonjon

Grew up on the Isle of Man and can advise that motorcycling is very bad for your health

Bloody good fun and the fastest thing on the road but utterly crazy

I’ve stuck to Mountain Bikes to allow me to survive 😀

gb1m
    Free Member

Defiantly try an off rode day like mentioned above. I had to give up greenlaning after I broke my wrist doing it and I could never seem to hold on after that.I would recommend a 250 four stroke for the beginner as the 400/450 have got alot of poke and can be intimidating to learn on.

amplebrew

Completely the opposite way around, my mate in work gave up motorcycling and took up cycling. Although he really enjoys the cycling, he does miss his motorbike and talks about it quite a bit.

I’m into both motorcycling albeit on a road bike and cycling and I would say that neither could really replace each other as they both provide different types of fun.

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve gone the other way I have 3 motorbikes I haven’t really touched foe about 4 years.

Off road, as long as you haven,t got too far to go to the mud, I loved my Serow. If you have to commute to mud, Suzuki DR 350, it was too tall for me really off road but great fun…………..

gusamc
    Free Member

Before you go spending mad, I’d do some local research on rights of way/local clubs/facilities, I gave up trail riding (and TRF) quite a while ago as so many local lanes got closed down/reclassified that there just aren’t enough local places to ride to make it worthwhile. I ended up doing holidays abroad (Greece, Crete, Spain etc as they are less restrictive). Try the TRF website and maybe attend a local meet. http://www.trf.org.uk/, see also the TBM magazine which is in some shops for ads etc. http://www.trailbikemag.com/

Offroad motorbiking (IMHO) can be more physically demanding than mtb (esp in deep mud and dragging) but to be fair some of the best fun I ever had was trail riding.

There are a few places that you can hire an MX at a track, well worth it and it will give you a feel for it. (Yamaha and Honda used to run sessions) http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/ as above

Re bike, if you only want offroad/trail riding enduro bike probably better, if you want do some road as well then trail may be better.

The xr honda range is bombproof and common as muck (but does the job), if you do buy an enduro (as opposed to trail) bike then check things like front/rear brake lights, horn, numberplate light, speedo etc for full legality as some plod and mot inspectors can be over zealous.

I’m a bit out of date but as a trailie DR350 (probably hard to get a good one now) used to suit larger lads, who did real offroad, the lighter the better is a reasonable rule and fit wrapround handguards (bike spares are expensive..)

Overall it’s definitely one of the best parts of my life, so so so many fabulous memories, a fantastic way to get out and about, sadly now no longer in favour….good luck

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

amplebrew – Member
    I’m into both motorcycling albeit on a road bike and cycling and I would say that neither could really replace each other as they both provide different types of fun.

This. I love motorbikes, MTBing, and road cycling. All different, all great. Really can’t imagine giving any of them up while I’m physically able to do it.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

For a minimum cost toe in the water with no need to get a road licence I suggest you have a go at trials riding. Don’t know where you are but there’s bound to be a few events fairly close. Beware though it can be addictive.

firestarter
    Free Member

Tony if you go for it give these a call http://www.2wheelskool.co.uk/

Really good instruction and banter six of us from work did ours there all passed first time , cheapest around too 😉

sugdenr
    Free Member

Prepare to be knackered like never before

This. I used to be unable to walk properly for days after a 3 stage trial.

I gave up offroading for doing it under my own steam. Pity you are so far up north ‘cos I have a KLX250 enduro I need to shift.

I used to race that against at these big bangers, and all you get in a 450/600 is a too much wheelspin and a bike you cant pick up anymore when you get knackered and fall off yet again.

Done some amazing long distance trials over the black mountains etc. Join a local club and check out the 3 stage trial/long distance trial ‘scene’. And do the yam or KTM or BMW experiences first!

brickwizard
    Free Member

Iv had a couple of KTM200EXC,s very light nimble and easy to ride, they can go when you want them to and dont have the expense of a 4 stroke when things go wrong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d avoid a VanVan at your (ahhem) ‘statture’? You’d have to push up hills!

kaiser
    Free Member

TTR250 seems a good beginners choice ..relatively inexpensive , very forgiving and manageable both on and off rd. cheap to service and simple to fix ….that’s why I’ve got one! ( tried a 650 honda on my 1st attempt off road and ..well found it quite a handful to say the least both weight and power wise.) I reckon you’d enjoy TRF runs Ton ..they do plenty of novice stuff . As mentioned though check nearby availability of legal routes by contacting a local TRF member. We’re lucky in Devon and have quite a network of green lanes which are still legal.

Sancho
    Free Member

BMW do some decent trail bikes as well – Lol.

Tony give me a bell, Ill take you to Tong and you can try my Honda CRF250X or yamaha WRF290 on the fire roads to get started.
    trail riding can be hard work , but my friend jo has just got her first trail bike – a Honda CRM 250, and its mint, i’d recommend a Yamaha WR 250 to start you’ll dwarf it but it is one of the best most reliable bikes on the market and you can get them cheap enough.

TRF are ok, but there are some beginner schools and practice days at places like Tong, or that Cowm quarry just down the road from Lee Quarry.
    However, when trail riding this will happen to you, as it has to me and everyone I know;

http://moto.mpora.com/news/funniest-video-hit-net-longtime.html

martinxyz
    Free Member

what do you weigh again,Ton?

Simon-E

Enduro bikes are great if you have the places to take them like mid Wales. Otherwise you could get frustrated and just chew up footpaths.

I’d second the suggestion to look at a trials bike.

mccett
    Free Member

Definitely have a go at an offroad experience day to see if you like it – a lot of people just dont get on with motorbikes, throw mud and roots into it and they really dont get it, even with a MTB background.

If you’re going to get an enduro type bike for doing enduros on as opposed to a trail bike style (looking) bike then factor in the following to make life a hell of a lot easier:-
    Van
    Jetwash and water supply (big barrel – hence van)
    Cleaning your bike where you rode is easier than dumping 40kg of crap on your drive every weekend when you get home.
    Advantage is…. you dont need a licence/insurance/tax etc, just rock up, pay your money and blat round all day at a practise venue or at an event. Very chilled out atmosphere, help if you come a cropper, just make your own way round while the fast boys give you plenty of space.

The downside….With you mentioning not being able to cycle, it is very demanding as has been mentioned above, esp enduro more so than MX. I raced motocross for a brave while and rode about sometimes 3 times a week incl racing about 30 weekends out of the year. The conditioning you get from regular riding makes it easier. After a 5 year break i came back and got a 200 Gas Gas enduro… and was out of condition in my first 3 hr event. Constantly up and down out the saddle was a killer on the quads. Felt it for about 4 days. You need to get out a lot to make the most of it, to get better and to make it easier. Depending on where you live that could be a 12 hr day of travelling, riding, cleaning up so is a lot more time consuming than the MTB.

I also have had more injuries from MX and enduro than a lifetime of pushbikes…but i am very average. It is bloody great though. Green laning may give you the offroad buzz, but places near you may be few and far between (and becoming less and less).

Good luck and definitely try an offroad day.

ton

thanks for all the replies fella’s.
    i did not realise that riding a enduro bike would have been so physically demanding, but after talking to a old mate today, who used to do it, i have now decided it will be a no goer.
    i cant even manage a hour on the mtb at present, so trying to control a huge lump of motorbike will be nigh on impossible.

thanks again.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Why must it be off road?

Exploring the countryside B roads on a Harley not appeal?

druidh
    Free Member

ton – as I suggested early on in this thread, have you considered a road motorbike? There are lots of lovely wee roads to be explored.

Sancho
    Free Member

Tony
    it’d not that bad, and certainly not a strain on the heart compared to mountain biking,
    riding green lanes and trails isnt that bad its only when you race that it gets tough.
    Ive seen people like Cannon ride enduro bikes around the moors of north yorkshire with not worries

gusamc
    Free Member

you could always get a trail bike and and do quite country roads and find some easier going green lanes to get off road a bit, I did some bimbling on a serow (small 225cc trail bike, very effective off road though) and really enjoyed it, even in my area (berks and around) there are roads with grass up the middle and you can get a bus down the Ridgeway off road.

ton

i think i am gonna book a offroad day somewhere and see how i go.
    the idea of riding on the road does not appeal at all.

i am so frustrated at not being able to ride i could **** scream
    i deffo need a release

peterich
    Free Member

laning is great defo do a direct access course its a great course. i did alot of mx and laning then road bikes still came back to mountain bikes again though. i love the feeling of jumps on mtbs theres never any freewheeling with mx its either gas or brake thats it – gets pretty knackering

Sancho
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother with an off road school just yet

singlespeedstu

Ton.

Not trying to put you off but riding a motorbike off road on any kind of interesting trails is far more physicaly demanding that pootling around on a mountainbike.

Sancho
    Free Member

no it isnt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘thinking of packing in cycling and taking up motorcycling.’ is closed to new replies.