Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Thinking of moving to the Stroud, Gloucester area
  • tang
    Free Member

The Forrest is great and well worth the drive. Cranham is/was/might be in the future fun woods to lose a couple of hours. The thing with this end of the Cotswolds its all about linking nice bits together with painfully steep lanes. The bonus is there are lots of nice pubs(if thats you’re thing) cafes(ditto) in amongst it all. Its good enough to turn out some top riders over the years. Best UK female endurance rider atm lives round the corner from me and my friend up the road has gone pro with UKyouth this year, they love it.
    Its not far to SW wales if you want some trail centre action and Black Mountains are close enough for day trips. Crikey even Newport velodrome is no time away if want!

IHN

s4rpf – as above, keep an eye out on here, or drop me a mail and I’ll stick you on the mailing list (that I need to start now).

IHN

with painfully steep lanes.

Amen. Exhibit A: the lane from the bottom of the valley to the main road in Slad 😯

stgeorge

Live in Dursley myself, handy for Stinchombe, North Nibley, Penn woods, etc to S of Stroud. North you’ll have Standish and Maitlands woods, then over to Painswick, Popes wood, Cranham (Summer only if it gets sorted).

Loads of Bridleways to explore and trails to find all round.

FOD only 25 mins away, more trails than you’ll ever think, just explore 🙂

Cwmcarn only 50 mins motorway.

Not to sure about Stroud itself, but outlying villages/towns are good.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Stroud’s a great place to live, although the nightlife possibilites are a little limited. Same as any town though really, there are some rough spots and some great spots, but definitely more of the latter. I have an 8 month old baby girl and I’m more than happy raising her here, some really good schools. Anyway onto the bloke stuff

Great riding and loads of groups; to add to the above-mentioned groups there’s also The Bramblers and Stroud Off-Road Squad not to mention loads of independent guys who you just know from the local spots.

Local woods – standish, cranham, popes, penn (selsley), stinchcombe, north nibley, leckhampton, painswick beacon area and more. Also you’ve got easy access to Welsh trail centres, Redhill 4x and downhills, and FOD which has enough purpose-built trails/downhills (with uplift) and natural singletrack to keep you going back for ages.

I’m surprised you can get somewhere cheaper in Stroud than Bristol though. Gloucester is the cheapest around here, but then its Gloucester so it would be

If you’re looking at houses or want any general info drop me a mail(should be on my profile), I’ve lived here for 37 years so I’ve got a pretty good feel for the place

tang
    Free Member

Yes indeed IHN! OS double chevrons a plenty round here! Gotta feel the love for them.

lordsalop
    Free Member

As the day is drawing to a close just thought I’d thank everyone for their informative comments. Please ignore anything by Binners I’m not posh, it’s just a matter of relativity.

You may want to lock away yr wives and girlfriends however!

nbt

Does LadySalop know you’re posting on here?

binners

She’s probably used to him goosing the serving wenches anyway

Aristotle
    Free Member

lordsalop – Member

[img]http://www.art247.com/images/large/MIRRORPIX/WA/WA465870.jpg[/img]

lordsalop
    Free Member

Think we all know the answer there nbt

peteimpreza

So then my Lord, what was the outcome, have you moved yet?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of moving to the Stroud, Gloucester area’ is closed to new replies.