Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Thinking of moving to Dumfries/Castle Douglas or Cumbria
  • chakaping
    Free Member

We were all set to move to Leeds, but some sad family developments now mean we now pretty much have a blank slate.

My first thought was the Lake District – mainly for the biking I must admit – although I do have friends there too. We have concerns though. Frankly, is it all going to be wealthy retired southerners and resentful locals? Is it a good place to bring up our young daughter and future child(ren)?

We'd be looking at Kendal – or maybe Keswick or Cockermouth.

Then I thought about Dumfries and Galloway, which is a place I've always really enjoyed visiting and always found the locals very friendly.

We'd like a decent sized town so Dumfries is the obvious choice, and I got a good vibe there despite some people turning their noses up at the mention of it. Castle Douglas has a good school and seems quite pleasant.

We're hoping not to move again, so want to get it right! Would be really grateful for any local insight or feedback. Particularly on living as an incomer and/or with a young family.

Macavity
    Free Member

Why not Carlisle?

clareymorris

If you can offord Keswick do it – I live in Penrith (which is still lovely) but would live in Keswick if I could 🙂

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Castle Douglas is quite a nice place. Good for local independent shops, much better than Dumfries.

I live in Dumfries and in the right areas it has some good schools and neighbourhoods for bringing up kids. If you have family down south then Lochmaben(10 miles east of Dumfries) is a good place to live. Quite village with easy access(10mins) to M74. The primary school always comes out top in the HMI reports.

If you are after any specifics the feel free to ask.

Keith.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Frankly, is it all going to be wealthy retired southerners and resentful locals? Is it a good place to bring up our young daughter and future child(ren)?

Keswick is a great place to bring up kids (we have two girls); good schools, low crime rate, great local community – and there's a good mix of locals and incomers (like me). It can get a bit hectic in the tourist seasons but as long as you know where to avoid and when it's fine. Like Ms Morris says if you can find somewhere you can afford then go for it. From a selfish perspective, you'll have some of the best riding in England right on your doorstep.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My choice would be Kendal, probably. The only downside might be the hords of tourists.
    Castle Douglas is lovely as a holiday destination, not sure I'd want to live there tho. It's a bit too far from anywhere and a bit lacking in life. Can't imagine the Police are very busy tho. If you're still interested in that area, have a look at Moffat aswell.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why not Carlisle?

Looked at it and it seems good value, but it seems a bit away from the riding. Do you live there? Would you recommend it?

Clareymorris – Can't afford as much in Keswick, and would probably have to compromise on garden or size of house, but it does seem like it'd be a good place to live.

Squwbbsy – Cheers for that. Presumably you like Dumfries then? What are the nice areas to live? Would Castle Douglas be a bit boring for the kids as they got older and the appeal of all those cake shops wore off?

TomB

Keswick, as said above, is a great place to live, my 2 kids are only little but I can't think of a better place to bring them up. However, housing, especially if you want garden, is expensive. Cockermouth, while still not cheap, offers similar advantages, good school, but a lot more choice of houses at better prices. Worth thinking about where you may need to work, as any commute is long if not employed locally, (not many well paid jobs in the area).

andrewy33
    Free Member

I live in Lochmaben, loads to do, there is a sailing club, tennis courts, walks round the many lochs and surrounding area and there is a golf course.
    Mabie forest is 20/25 mins by car, Ae is 10/15 mins by car and to get to Inners and G/T takes only 50 mins.

http://www.lochmaben.org.uk/

As Sqwubbsy says its not far to the m/way and Glasgow/Edinburgh can be reached in just over an hour.

You could also look at Lockerbie, It is getting a fantastic new school.

tragically1969
    Free Member

The only downside might be the hords of tourists

Eh ? Kendal is nothing like the rest of the Lakes in this respect.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

Should have said I run my own business from home, so getting to work not an issue.

Income is very good now but the industry is very volatile so don't want to get mortgaged to the hilt if I can avoid it.

Budget £350k or a bit more for a 4 or 5 bed house.

TomB

That budget will get you a 4 bed victorian terrace in central keswick with a postage stamp size yard and most likely no off road parking or garage. I've got a cellar, which takes care of all the outdoor kit, bikes etc, but would love parking and garage.
    For keswick, try p, f and k and edwin thompson websites (google is your friend) for typically properties available. There are some cheaper houses if you meet the local occupancy clauses (which vary).

Macavity
    Free Member

No I do not live in Carlisle, but anywhere that has a chocolate biscuit factory has to be OK.

chakaping
    Free Member

On that basis I should move to Uddingston, near Glasgow…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I wouldnt want to live in Keswick. Its just a rat run these days due to its poularity. Lovely place, but on a daily basis, nah!

Penrith is nice. There are loads of little villages within easy driving distance between penrith and the lakes and most suit your needs. I live in carlisle and love it. Wouldnt move anywhere else. It is a 45min drive though whichever way you go North or south but then you do get to choose 🙂 Again we have loads of lovely villages that would fit your bill and be easily accesable.

The further north you go the more you get for your ££££.

failedengineer

Thelittlesthobo – Do you have any local riding? I am exiled in Brampton and am fed up of the travelling to get some decent riding. I know that there's the route round the bottom of Cold Fell and the stuff around Cross Fell, but is that it?

Kendal
    Free Member

Kendal. Good schools, good community, (mix of locals and incomers,) a variety of housing, doesn't get the tourists the rest of the Lakes has, the amenities of a bigger town than it actually is, Kentmere very close by for riding, obviously the rest of the Lakes only a stone's throw and easy access to M6. I'm from South Wales and my wife from Oxfordshire, but Kendal is home now; both our lads are Cumbrian.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Failed engineer – Start at gelt woods then get yourself out onto castle carrock. choice of a couple of routes from 10 to 25mls.

failedengineer

Go on, give me a clue – which way then, then?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I knew you were going to ask that.

Goes to have a look on google earth

coffeeking
    Free Member

I live in Penrith (which is still lovely)

😯 I got stuck in penrith on my way back from scotland once, initially drove round endless streets of questionable content, then got stuck in the town centre and wished I'd never pulled off the motorway! I presume there's some nicer spots than the ones I saw!

Trekster

Hows the knees Hobs? getting the biking bug again ❓
    Was down Keswick/Caldbeck Fells on Mon for a cracking ride and local hills last night after work for a couple of hrs 😆 Pub tonight 🙄

chakaping

What your budget can buy wiyh change in D&G

I live in the Heathhall area of Dumfries and within riding distance of 2 Stanes, Ae & Mabie. On Monday I was down in Keswick for a ride, 1.1/2hr away 😆 Heathhall has a new primary school opening after summer hols.
    What age and interests do your kids have atm or may be interested in later? Partners intersets/hobbies/work intentions?

In Dumfries we have national/international class swimmers/rowers/table tennis/cricket/squash/horse riding etc.
    http://dumfriessportsclub.co.uk/
    http://www.dgcommunity.net/dgcommunity/miniweb.aspx?id=310
    http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4129

Lochmaben as above is only 1/2hr away
    Train stations at Lockerbie and Dumfries.

Howgills are just down the road from Penrith and North Yorks moors are only a couple of hrs away.
    GT and Inners are but 1.1/2hrs away, Kirry 1hr and Drumlanrigg is around 3/4hr depending on traffic.

We'd like a decent sized town so Dumfries is the obvious choice, and I got a good vibe there despite some people turning their noses up at the mention of it. Castle Douglas has a good school and seems quite pleasant.

We're hoping not to move again, so want to get it right! Would be really grateful for any local insight or feedback. Particularly on living as an incomer and/or with a young family.

Reminded myself on last nights hill ride on just why I like this area so much 😆

As for being an incomer….you will not be alone wherever you choose to live 😉

Have many friends who have moved from areas such as Wales/Leeds/Blackpool and other areas who have settled fine. Going for a drink with the new Scottish Cycling area coach tonight. He is moving his family up from Sussex. He was taking time over accepting the job for obvious reasons when his kids saw the youtube mtb clips from the area and asked him when could they move ❗ ❗

My kids happen to live/work in Carlisle……………….

Will be back on line tomorrow eve if you need any more info.

btw OS78 is your friend for non trail centre riding around here:idea:

TLH^^^^works in Dumfries 2/3 days a week and has been doing OK 😉

Trekster

TheLittlestHobo – Member
    I knew you were going to ask that.

Goes to have a look on google earth

Just dont go when the river is in flood 🙄

Trekster

coffeeking – Member

I live in Penrith (which is still lovely)

I got stuck in penrith on my way back from scotland once, initially drove round endless streets of questionable content, then got stuck in the town centre and wished I'd never pulled off the motorway! I presume there's some nicer spots than the ones I saw!

Spent a night with some mates in a B&B then went on a pub/club crawl….magic night 😯

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Trekster – Knees are screwed but atm i am trying to heal a torn hamstring 🙁 Season is finished for me. Biking – Havent touched mine other than the 70mls charity ride for 6mths.

Failedengineer. Gave up on google earth, cant make head nor tail of it. Will check out Memoery map tonight. I used to have the loops on fotopic but they got taken down.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have an office in Carlisle and an office in dumfries. When i used to bike i made sure i had it when i was in dumfries 🙂

dr_death
    Free Member

Macavity – Member

Why not Carlisle?

Because it's a shithole??

(sorry if you live there but I'm being forced to commute there daily and it's doing my nut)

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, expecially you Trekster.

My daughter is nearly two and mainly interested in dogs and ducks at the moment. She and the wife both like the beach though, and I know the coast is lovely up there 'cos I usually stay at Southerness.

I'm up there in a few weekends' time actually if you'd like to show us some of the stuff away from the stanes? I saw on a previous thread that you're the man for the unmarked stuff at Mabie.

Hope you heal soon Hobo. I always think of you when I ride Mabie, with my kneepads on.

geoffj

From that list, I'd be looking at Kendal. We already spend a lot of time there, because the MIL lives there. Its a great place. Edge of the Lake District, decent market town, doesn't get the hoardes in the summer and affordable ish. Also from a business perspective, Oxenholme is on the main west coast line, so trips to London, Glasgow & Edinburgh are all sub 3hrs.

I think Penrith is OK too. I'd steer clear of Dumfries and Castle Douglas though, as they are a little too far off the beaten track.

You should also consider if you want your kids to go through the Scottish school system?

Geoff from Bolton, now living in Perth and Kendal 🙂

friendsandfamily
    Free Member

I have been fortunate to live in Dumfries for the past 2 years and even though it can be quiet it has to be the best places for quality of life. There are lots of things to do here and if you are a biker you are in heaven on road as well as off. As you know the beaches are 5 minutes away and some excellent hill walking too. Apart from the stanes there is loads of trails for biking. The town is in progress for retail regeneration and the level of education facilities is very extensive. Your budget will get you a really good property with cash to spare and the kids have everything on their doorsteps for keeping them busy from all kinds of sports and crafts. The area is big on arts and has exhibitions all the time. The river nith runs through the town (sometimes literally but most housing is on higher ground) and a rowing club on its banks. The health service is outstanding and the police are switched on big time and are friendly too. I would suggest the Nunholm area or on Moffat Road. Heathall and Lockerbriggs has a nice housing developement and is linked to the town by the Sustrans cycle network so you can cycle into town no probs. Trekster is the man to see around here for more indepth knowledge but take it from me you will not be dissapointed with Dumfries from a once outsider.

Trekster

news and weather

kids go-ride bike club

local rag

BC Elite cycling on Dumfries streets.

chakaping – Member
    Cheers for the advice, expecially you Trekster.

I'm up there in a few weekends' time actually if you'd like to show us some of the stuff away from the stanes? I saw on a previous thread that you're the man for the unmarked stuff at Mabie.

Sorry, hols are just around the corner, 16th june and away till 8th July. Home 2 days and doing Kirry 10 having not been on a bike all that time!!!

squbbsy & andrewy33 ^^^^^^^^ could maybe help out. failing that get in touch with euan or Jemma at G&G cycle-centre, either Mabie or in town, they might be able to sort you out.
    Euan or Jemma at cycle-centre

Taking forge, another Dfs resident out for a hill ride on Sat although he is still learning all the "secrets" Mabie has to offer 😉

I'd steer clear of Dumfries and Castle Douglas though, as they are a little too far off the beaten track.

You should also consider if you want your kids to go through the Scottish school system?

Geoff from Bolton, now living in Perth and Kendal

Geoff.
    My kids live/work in Carlisle, daughter is a teacher, grandkids go to school. Can therefore argue the toss over your statement. My daughter is certainly not impressed with either the standard of teaching college tutors or the ed system.
    Dfs may seem to be off the "beaten track" but what is wrong with that?
    train station in Dumfries and Lockerbie is only 1/2hr away so that is not an issue if you wish to use trains. At least 30/40 people commute to Edin/Glasgow every day from Lockerbie, my wife inc.
    As for airportsit is only 1.12/hrs to Newcastle/Glasgow/Edinburgh and 3hrs to Manchester, again no real issue.

too many impatient people around imo 🙄

The high st may seem to have been dying over the yrs but there seems to be a bit of regeneration momentun since new yr with new shops opening and others getting a make over.

forge197
    Free Member

It's not really off the beaten track but then I guess it depends what support you need from amenities that gives that feeling. Being into mountain biking Dumfries is pretty well situated I have 3 excellent trail centres within 30 minutes, natural trails in each of those as well, this weekend will be an adventure with Trekster and some more new natural routes.

I am learning the secrets of Mabie I've cemented a couple of routes in my head and they are ace 🙂 Need to get learning the secrets of Dalbeattie too. 😉

Great place to live, great people, most beautiful back drop and close to loads of trails.

geoffj

Trekster chill!

I'm not having a pop. I choose to live and bring up my kids in Scotland in a place a lot further off the beaten track than Dumfries.
    I was trying to help the op consider some of the issues regarding business travel and bringing up kids.

What do you want to argue the toss over? 😐

Trekster

Trekster chill!

I'm not having a pop. I choose to live and bring up my kids in Scotland in a place a lot further off the beaten track than Dumfries.

Ooooops!! Chilled thanks..there has been in the past quite a bit of dfs bashing on here, should not rise to the bait 🙄

Do`nt consider Perth to be off the beaten track either unless you are well out of town. Like it up there and some good riding into the bargain 🙂

forge197 ^^^^ is another who has recently relocated here from darn sarf 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Obviously it's an emotive issue.

Think we've narrowed it down to Dumfries or Kendal now. We want to live in a reasonable size town. The quicker journey time from Kendal to London could be a factor, but unlikely to swing it alone.

Will be visiting both with my wife this summer for some first-hand investigation.

Forge – do you fancy sharing your new-found Mabie route knowledge with some visitors on June 12 or 13?

alexxx
    Free Member

Kendal is a good call, good trains to london, next to the best scenery in the uk, nice arty town with enough going on but quiet enough to get away, some great bike shops and lots of riding on your door step. Scotlands a bit far out the way for me really, Id consider it myself for Edinburgh only I rekon

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

You seem to have a broadly similar choice as I had when I moved south from Stirling a couple of years back… and are looking at the same places.

Keswick was an attractive option, found a place that needed doing up within budget, or ex-council houses. Decided that South Cumbria would be more useful though, so started considering Kendal. Given prices I looked further afield and wound up looking at Ulverston, which is where I wound up 😉 Its only 15 mins up to Dunnerdale/Coniston/Grizedale which makes it a very pleasent place to be! Also friendly folk, good community and very welcoming. Worth a look (and being as it is out near Barrow the prices are very keen for this area!)

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah got to admit I live in Ulverston (used to live near coniston at my mums) its a well friendly town, couldnt really ask for much more, shame there isnt so much art culture but theres a fair bit going on, lots of similar minded mates ect.. very cool place, just shame you have to drive to kendal or get a bus if you want a fast commute to london

forge197
    Free Member

chakaping – I'd love too but…. I am probably in Fort William that weekend if the weather is looking nasty up that way then yes i'd be more than happy too but I will have to confirm nearer the time.

voodoo_chile

stayed near beeswing 2 weeks ago just on the edge of mabie forest …lovely ,peaceful area of this fine country didnt take a bike though …gutted but have done a few of the trail centres in the past

Dumfries is like most other little towns but you are 5 minutes from mabie

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of moving to Dumfries/Castle Douglas or Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.