Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thinking of moving to Brighton…
  • youshouldknowbetter
    Free Member

Maybe moving to Brighton, Anyone commute to London? How good a service is it? Nice area of Brighton to live in – recommendations?

fionap

Hove = more for your money, if you’re renting. Lived in a flat on one of the roads leading down to Hove Lawns until 6mo ago and it was lovely. My partner tried commuting on Southern trains to Victoria for 6 months but it was absolutely shit, hence giving in and moving to London. Not a week went by when it wasn’t severely delayed for some reason or other, in both directions. Extremely overcrowded and overpriced. If you want a seat you either have to go in before 6am or get the train from its starting point and be first on – ok for some of the Brighton trains but not if you’re getting on at Hove / Shoreham etc.
    Went back down to Brighton yesterday for a day out and it’s a lovely place to live. I used to think it was full of south-eastern ****, but now having been in London, it seems really relaxed and friendly.

Pauly

What’s your budget? Buying or renting?

Brighton is ace.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brighton is great, my daughter is living there very happily and I’ve good friends who lived and worked there for 10 years. It’s a long commute to London on a daily basis, however. I know people who commute from Heywards Heath which is do-able buy IMO Brighton is too far for every day.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lots of trains with too many passengers, reliability is not that bad (people only remember the bad journey’s) but overcrowding is unfortunately. Until the line gets made up to 4 roads all the way to London it always will be.

fionap

Reliability seemed pretty poor to me – last winter I had to go and pick him up from Gatwick at least half a dozen times because the line was shut further down (typically due to flooding at Preston Park or similar).

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I live in Lewes just outside Brighton and commute to Hammersmith every day. It’s not actually that bad, and the train has only ever gone really bad once in two years. That was fcking awful though…

lehutch
    Free Member

Brighton is amazing, as long as you like nightlife, restaurants, the beach, friendly vibe etc

Avoid living in Whitehawk, moulescoomb, colddean, which are all in brighton….East of brighton ( peace haven etc) is ok but quiet, west of brighton ( hove and Shoreham) is nice

alexpalacefan

Crap football team 😉
    APF

lehutch
    Free Member

You’ve also got stanmer park and the South Downs way on your door step, if cyclings your thing 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of moving to Brighton…’ is closed to new replies.