Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Thinking of moving some where new. Suggestions?
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

Out of the ones the OP mentioned I’d go for Bristol but I’ll also add Chester although at about 80,000 inhabitants it doesn’t quite meet the OP’s somewhat arbitrary lower population limit. Easy access to N Wales and the Peak for riding and two big cities nearby and two hours to London on the train.

Pieface

I live in Sheffield and love it, a great place to live. Job opportunities probably better in Leeds and Manchester. Its great for countryside on your doorstep but crossing the pennines to get elsewhere can be a right PITA.

jamesj197
    Free Member

Out of the ones the OP mentioned I’d go for Bristol but I’ll also add Chester although at about 80,000 inhabitants it doesn’t quite meet the OP’s somewhat arbitrary lower population limit. Easy access to N Wales and the Peak for riding and two big cities nearby and two hours to London on the train.

Thanks i’ll see if there are any jobs available for me. Also the population was just a rough guide.

Thanks,

James

ads678

Just to counteract those slagging Leeds, I think it’s a great city and don’t really understand the attitude problem thing, and I’ve lived here for the last 12 years. Like any city it has it;’s shit bits but it’s also got some really nice areas if you’ve got the money and some nice riding from those areas as they’re generally all in north Leeds. From where I live I can be at the peaks, Warncliffe/Grenoside, Stainburn in less than an hour, and Gisburn and the dales in not much more than an hour. I can be on the M62 or M1 in less than 5 minutes and A1 in a couple more. Which is good because the riding is crap form the bit of Leeds I live in!!

There’s a lot of money in Leeds at the moment which means there’s a good choice of places to go for nights out.

I’m originally from Leicester and have lived in Halifax for a few years as well but am very happy in Leeds and am not in a rush to move away from the city.

martinhutch

Am I the only one who got martinhutch’s joke?

It’s only appreciated by people who have shared the grim depression of having to head south/north on a Friday night…

I’m originally from Leicester and have lived in Halifax for a few years as well but am very happy in Leeds and am not in a rush to move away from the city.

Well, Leeds must seem like some kind of urban paradise, then. 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I got the joke. Best thing about Frankly is the M&S – get in, grab a coronation chicken sarnie and some sausage rolls and get the hell out of there!

Oi! Halifax is dead nice. I prefer living here rather than the 22 years I spent living in York. As someone said above about Sheffield, Halifax has all that but a shorter walk into the centre and better riding 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Derby is very well located for transport and riding. It lacks decent restaurants apart from curry houses and the clubs are rubbish, but it is easy to go for a night out in Nottingham.

Culture wise Derby is not too bad there is a good independent cinema as well as large showcase cinema and two theatres. In the city centre there is a large modern shopping centre. If you are used to waitrose there isn’t one. Derby also has decent city parks. One thing I would say is that location in the city is important.

Sheffield is a good choice if you don’t mind being in the north and a bigger city.

TooTall
    Free Member

In the last 20 years I’ve lived in 16 different places (most in the UK) and worked in 17 different countries. Bristol was the stand-out best of them all. It has arts, culture, food, beer, sports, festivals, events, local identity, diversity of every kind, good access to the rest of the UK etc etc.
    The grass isn’t greener, it’s just a different shade of green.

Edited to add – the people I met there really made it.

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m not keen on big cities myself. Miserable anonymous places at times and nightmare with traffic and expensive to live

I live in Surrey

Huh? [/quote]

Depends on which part of Surrey…
    Surrey Hills, good.
    Surrey Quays, not so good.

rob8624
    Free Member

Swansea.

Once you get past the weather (it rains here everyday pretty much), the lack of good jobs, the chavs, the druggies, the drunks, the violence, the crime, the grayness, the utter-shit city centre, poor public transport, millions of traffic lights, lack of music venue, etc etc it’s a brilliant place to live 🙂

Oh and some of the best riding in the world on your doorstep. 🙂

jamesj197
    Free Member

I’ve narrowed it down to either Cardiff or Manchester what do you think?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

jamesj197 – Member
    I’ve narrowed it down to either Cardiff or Manchester what do you think?

I think you like cars as much as you like bikes and its a bit weird how youve recently joined both camps to ask the same question

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of moving some where new. Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.