Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Thinking of going to a trail centre
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

thinking of going to a trail centre for the first time in 15years om mtbing. So how hard are the black routes, my normal riding is around the peak , ladybower, win hill, cut gate etc Will it be able to cope?

snaps
    Free Member

I’d try a red before a black, Brechfa is good as you can start the red, & when you get 90% of the way around you can join the black or just finish the red. Afans black section can also be bypassed if you feel the red is enough.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Where are you thinking of going? You’ll probably be fine to be honest, the only thing I can think of is the length of some black routes (eg Kiroughtree) in bad weather can be a bit tiring. Anything technical can be walked, and there’s not that much really.

billybob
    Free Member

you will die, trail centres offer some of the hardest riding on the planet……

I’m sure if you can ride a bike you’ll be fine. Anything proper scary is marked & the trails are usually built in such a way that they shouldn’t catch you out.

warton
    Free Member

Blacks offer nothing than your normal natural trail in my opinion (apart from the odd bit of timber), If you’ve been riding in the peaks I can’t see you finding it that tricky

hora
    Free Member

stonemonkey- what type of bike do you ride? You’ll need 6″ travel each end.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

turner 5 spot 😀

Stu

Its compulsory to look like this chap…

sofatester
    Free Member

Hora – at least 6in?

8in is better now days, after all it can get a bit rough on those trails. Come on keep up dear fellow!

LOL @ Stu!

richc
    Free Member

you will be fine, most black routes are at the easier end of riding, and you will have ridden much more difficult stuff on normal routes in the Peaks.

I think UK black routes are graded that way to make the accountants and IT workers feel good about there riding rather than actually be hard.

I went to Canada last year, and some of there blue routes were significantly harder than our black (and some double black) routes in the UK.

nickegg
    Free Member

warton – Member
    Blacks offer nothing than your normal natural trail in my opinion (apart from the odd bit of timber), If you’ve been riding in the peaks I can’t see you finding it that tricky[/b]

You obviously havn’t ridden at Brechfa then! Unless bridleways have suddenly sprouted Doubles, Step-ups and massive berms.

richc – Member
    you will be fine, most black routes are at the easier end of riding, and you will have ridden much more difficult stuff on normal routes in the Peaks.

I think UK black routes are graded that way to make the accountants and IT workers feel good about there riding rather than actually be hard.

I went to Canada last year, and some of there blue routes were significantly harder than our black (and some double black) routes in the UK

I would have though grading is done to reflect what else is available elsewhere to ride. What use is it grading UK runs as per Whistler bike park if the majority have never ridden there?!

hora
    Free Member

stonemonkey that Chameleon would have been ideal for trailcentres. Pity I own it and not you now 😉

richc
    Free Member

To be fair the Brefcha black is one of the hardest trail centers if you ride all the optional bits, so its at the harder end of trails you will find at a trail center.

Personally I think if you can ride a black route without even looking at it first it isn’t very black, and a black trail should require some skill to clean, not just lean back and let the bike soak it up.

Most UK black trails are red at the most. Thing is people won’t drive to red/blue trails as it isn’t *rad* enough, and dumbing down the grading to make people feel better, but doesn’t make any sense to me, a moderate trail, is moderate regardless of how lame anywhere else is.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hora did you buy it good on you lad , how much did you pay £200 quid i bet funny that! It was probably for the best as i was only looking for a commuter and got a sunn and built it up with old partsfor less than a 100 notes. And got a BMIX on the way to (hopefully). The turner has 5.5″ so i dont know if i’ll cope.

To the rest

well theres only one way to find out!! Couldn’t imagine it being that hard just checking it wasnt full of 30foot gaps and drop offs. I’ll be going to a north wales one me thinks.

Cheers

Popocatapetl

StoneMonkey, i’d recommend giving the Marin Trail at Betws y coed a go. it’s a cracking ride, usually quiet at the weekends and not full of £2000.00 plus mountain bikes being pushed up hill by people swathed in Bodyarmour!it has no trail facilities, but is only 2 miles from Betsy.i ride reguarly around Hope and Edale and if you can manage the Hope X Beast without falling off you’ll be fine! i’d give a trail centre a shot and Coed LLangdegla is good, but a bit full if you start after 10 am at the Weekend and you can ride the Circuit in just over an hour at a decent pace and the cafe does top sausage butties. i prefer the Peak district for it’s untouched natural tracks, but it’s good to try somewhere new now and again.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

thanks popocataptl ive got the expensive bike but no armour ill give the marin trail ago i think. The beast goes down to by the resevoir right? should be fine then

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Most blacks will have chicken runs or easier options. Took a newbie round black sections at Afan and he loved it. Worth making your seat is a little lower if you’re not so confident just to get the weight a bit further back / make it easier to bail.

Whites level at Afan is good fun as is the W2 trail (wall and whites together).

Popocatapetl

No,The beast goes from the track junction 300 metres NW of Hope X,Grid- 160 876. Turn right down the hill, through the gate. Point and hold on tight! the scary one with big rocks! finishes down by the river, then a short push up the hill to the A57 snake road. Your thinking of the route to the North east of the Hagg farm descent that finishes at Ladybower resevoir. Think it’s called Ashton Clough?? Enjoy the Marin Trail, i stayed at Gwesty Glan Aber Hotel when i went last September. resonable price with good food, bike friendly, in the centre of Betws y coed, about 3 miles from the start of the trail.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blacks vary. At Glentress the black route is only black because of its length but there are black sections there that I cannot ride – all avoidable tho.

Laggan black truly deserves its grade – no chicken runs and very difficult (for me) in places

stonemonkey
    Free Member

No were thinking of the same one just my poor description. Cheers

scruff
    Free Member

If you ride in the Peaks Llandingdong will bore you senseless.

Bunnyhop

‘V’ graphics have a new book out by Tom Fenton. Called; Mountain biking trail centres – the guide.
    It gives details of all the trail centres in England, Scotland and Wales. Also bike parks.
    The information is extensive, explaining what grades the trails are and if they are easily graded, e.g the black at Llandegla is by Laggan standards a red.
    Loads of information too, whether they have car parking, cafe, toilets or shower facilities. How to get there. What the grades mean. Some good photos too.

Olly
    Free Member

will it bolloks scruf

its not worse or better
    its different

llandegla is ace, wouldnt want to do it every day, but its so quick and flowy, makes me feel all “collective”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Blacks vary. At Glentress the black route is only black because of its length but there are black sections there that I cannot ride – all avoidable tho.

TJ, I’m surprised. I would have thought you’d be fine on GT black after seeing your vid of the twicer at Spooky Wood!

🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Ashton Clough rocks my face off. It’s better than the Hagg farm descent by miles. First time I went to a trail centre was Glentress and did the full black route first. I thought it was fun and whilst not easy it was similar to riding Dark Peak to me, just safer. Cake was good at the end too. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

makes me feel all “collective”

At Llandegla ?

Sorry, my mistake.

Gibbon
    Free Member

“llandegla is ace, but its so quick and flowy, makes me feel all “collective”.Almost spat me tea out…….oh ,my bad………….irony.

jonb
    Free Member

Don’t ride a route just because it is black, some of the best stuff at Glentress is on the red run so i imagine the same is true at other trail centers. IF it looks easy just ride it faster and jump higher.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mabie Dark Side trail, now there’s a black route!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of going to a trail centre’ is closed to new replies.