Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thinking of going 1×9 on my XTR Cranks – Advice needed
  • neil853
    Free Member

I suffer from chain dropping on my Ransom and to be honest i like the idea of the simplicity of it. What are people running as far as chain devices go? What do people recommend? I'm going to france in the summer so one eye has to be on that.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I've run an MRP 1.9 single top guide with my XTR cranks but I was always loosing the chain off the bottom of the ring. That was fine as long as you always pedaled forward, in which case the chain would just get back on. If you back pedal to align the cranks then the chain wedges between the back plate and the cranks and it's a nightmare to get back.

Because of this I switched to an e13 LG1+, one of the new ones. This works briliantly well, no inteference between the back place and the granny ring tabs.

daveagiles
    Free Member

I have this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47875 and it has been faultless, not dropped my chain once.

Hardest thing is getting decent chainring bolts, I ended up just making my own by grinding down the original bolts, but you can get the shorter ones from here http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart4.htm

Hope that helps

daveagiles
    Free Member

geetee1972 what rear mech were you using?

geetee1972
    Free Member

One of the new saint ones, shadow mech in short cage format but with the wide ratio widget still in place. Run a 11-34t cassette; no problems with the mech handling the 34t cog. I'm never under geared on the descents. I figure that if I am spun out at 11t rear, 32t front, then it's because the trail isn't technical enough to warrant trying any harder 😀

Terry
    Free Member

I run Noir SS cranks with a bashguard, N-stop chain device and the Saint m-810 short cage shadow mech. 11-32. Perfect.

neil853
    Free Member

I like The E13 one but it looks a bit over kill? i suppose it suit france better though?

I saw some chap at the Brownbacks event today with an MRP one, looked good

numplumz
    Free Member

I've run an MRP 1.9 single top guide on and off for a year, and I've never had a problem with the chain falling off the bottom of the ring, very confused by that post.

If your chainline is good and it is installed correctly, then they work brilliantly in my opinion.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[/quote]I've run an MRP 1.9 single top guide on and off for a year, and I've never had a problem with the chain falling off the bottom of the ring, very confused by that post.

A few people have said that. I know my chainline is fine so the only thing I can suggest is that it's a combination of being particularly heavy and perhaps a little faster DH than average.

neil853
    Free Member

did anyone see those single ring things advertised at the top of the home page a few months ago? they looked alright.

I guess i'm trying to save weight AND keep my chain on, possible?

numplumz
    Free Member

geetee1972 it's your weight then 😉

I don't do slow! …..and its on a hardtail

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don't do slow! …..and its on a hardtail

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? 😉

JFK 😀

ianpinder
    Free Member

😆

daveagiles
    Free Member

neil853 yeah looked into those, but decide against it, they were very expensive (+£100)

dans160
    Free Member

Gamut P20, some fettling required and it's dropped the chain once and to be honest when I was least expecting it. Other than that one occasion I've not been able to fault it. Oh, and I use KCNC chainring bolts.

Anthony
    Free Member

MRP 1*9 user here with no problems from XC racing to big days out in the Peaks. It comes with chainring bolt spacers too which is nice touch.

XTR Cranks, 37t E-thirteen guide-ring, X0 mid-length mech, 9sp 12-32 cassette (I actually run it 1×8 as I removed the 11T ring and added a spacer instead behind the top side to help chainline), chain as short as pos.

About 750 miles in and I love it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

E13 LS1 – given this all sorts of abuse from normal trail riding to inners uplift and have never lost the chain.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of going 1×9 on my XTR Cranks – Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.