Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thinking of getting a used xbox – anything I need to know
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Thought I may get one for the kids, are any versions better than others? I know nothing about them 🙁

LHS
    Free Member

You can have mine!

Jamie
    Free Member

You might want to wait a little while. The new Xbox WiFi edition comes out on the 16th July and as a result the second hand market will be flooded with nerds selling their older units to get it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

LHS: Interested in selling?

LHS
    Free Member

tbh you probably won't want it as its the original XBox 1. Had it sitting around doing nothing for about 2 years. But i think the Xbox 360 or whatever it is now is loads better.

EDIT: But if you do let me know!

mrvear
    Free Member

Look out for the Red Ring of Death, so I'm told?

Jamie
    Free Member

Look out for the Red Ring of Death, so I'm told?

Not really an issue on units made in the last year or 2 since the Jasper chipset came out. On the plus side MS extended the warranty top to something like 5 years in case you do get unlucky.

My advice if you going second hand, get an Elite or Premium which is no more than 18months old.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Buy S/H from Game or somewhere reputable that offers a warranty – Game were really good with a S/H PSP we had that went wrong.

Beware of apparent bargains on eBay, but if you do buy from there, go for one in original packaging, receipt and reason for selling.

Drac

Wait like mentioned even arcades 360s are only £90 new now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OK, thanks guys – think I'll hang on for a bit and see what happens.

samuri
    Free Member

And the real worry with buying second hand XBOX's is that they might have been chipped and subsequently banned from xbox live. That's a lifetime ban from playing online because it's tied to the box, not the user, and you won't know until you try and go online.

Our XBOX eventually gave up the ghost the other month, I just went out and bought a new arcade box for about 125 quid and put our hard drive on it, works great,

konabunny
    Free Member

buy a cheap old xbox, spend hours hacking it with free software, get a home theatre pc with XBMC!

fubar
    Free Member

You can now install games and do game saves to USB memory sticks so if money is tight the Arcade version is a workable option now.

If you've got the cash I'd wait for the new version…just for the wireless, slimmer and it'll be worth more if you need to sell or trade in future.

…although I own an Xbox I'd now consider getting a PS3 instead…(but the deciding factor for me is what friends have so we can have an online game)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a used xbox – anything I need to know’ is closed to new replies.