Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thinking of doing a Coast to Coast charidee ride next june… anyone done one?
  • manitou
    Free Member

Coast to Coast 2014 Friday, 20 June 2014 08:00 -Sunday, 22 June 2014
    quite fancy it. I know its not going to be super technical but has anyone on here done it? If there’s a lot of tarmac sections I probably wont go for it.

jekkyl

I take it you mean the C2C? Whitehaven – Keswick – penrith – Allenheads – tynemouth/Sunderland?
    Yup I’ve done it. DO NOT stay at the bunkhouse in Rookhope, that crazy old lady tried to rob me of a fiver. DO take the offroad bit up n out of Rookhope coz the hill out Stanhope is a killer! A very large portion of it is on very rural roads but otherwise on made up cycle paths. The best bit is after Rookhope, offroad gentle decline for miles n miles, Weeeeeeeee!

Junkyard
    Free Member

road or off roads?

Lytham St annes to Scarborough is the flatest [ 138 miles] though it has an unpleasant road section after Harrogate

manitou
    Free Member
    drummer
    Free Member

Four of us rode from St Bees Head to Robin hoods bay a few years ago ( before gps was affordable ! )
    Riding Parallel to Wainwrights way it was a right adventure. We got lost most days and did it in four long days. The dream; pubs,curries and beers each night … the reality ; petrol sation snacks and banging on youth hostel doors arriving at 11.00 PM each night ! We were wading across rivers and scrambling over rocks with bikes on our backs, proper rufty tufty male bonding stuff … haha
    Excellent fun and a ‘must do’ I reckon

I think the route was similar to this one
    null

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve signed up to do C2C in a day next year from Seascale to Whitby.
    150 miles and 4,500m of climbing. On road. It’s going to be a monster!

colin9

I rode coast to coast last weekend. I live in Cornwall though so it only took a couple of hours…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice, first time we followed Wainwrights too and it was A.C.E. took us 4 days gentle pootling and wheelie pulling.. The second time started out as a Hack but ended up a race between me and my whippetmate, he won, I let his tyres down in some seedy back street of Sunderland 😆

neninja
    Free Member

We did a charity variation on the C2C earlier in the year. We wanted to do more off road but it was a very mixed group so nothing technical.
    We made up our own version –
    Day 1 – Normal Sustrans C2C from Workington, Cockermouth, Keswick, Old Coach Road, Pooley Bridge and then finished in Shap. The Old Coach road was pretty good as was the section from Pooley Bridge over towards Shap.
    Day 2 – short day involving a stop for fish and chips in Kirkby Stephen and then the brutal climb up to Tanhill Inn for massages (a mate is a Sports Science lecturer and arranged for a couple of students to be there to help them complete some of their hours to qualify) and beer.
    Day 3 – off road to Bowes and then mostly bridleway to Barningham and then a mix of country lanes, bridleway and cycles tracks to Hartlepool.

I with the exception of the middle day which was all on road I reckon it was something like 60% bridleway/cycles tracks and 40% quiet lanes with virtually no traffic.

Planning to do the Pennine Bridleway from Derbyshire to Kirkby Stephen next year again to raise funds for the local Hospice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of doing a Coast to Coast charidee ride next june… anyone done one?’ is closed to new replies.