Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Thinking of ditching my iPhone
  • muggomagic

Had an iPhone of one form or another for 8 months or so, and before that had a nokia 6220. Found my old nokia the other day and started playing with it. It's such a great little phone. Now I'm starting to think I should get rid of the iPhone and go back to it.
    The camera on it is great at 5 megapixel, I can use my viewranger mapping again, the charge lasts around 4 days even with A-GPS on and music and it's so much smaller. Maybe it's just a phase, but has anyone else had the iPhone bubble burst?

GrahamS

Still loving my iPhone here (after about 8 months too). In fact just bought a 3GS and gave the missus the old 3G one 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Your insane.

*Goes back to playing doodlejump*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

muggo – depends what you use it for dosnt it, if you need a decent camera and want the mapping then the iPhone was the wrong choice. If you want easy to use email, calendar, web and access to loads of games and other (mostly rubbish) apps then the iPhone is the top pick. Im happy with mine as i use it mainly for e-mail, browsing the web and to replace my seperate iPod, so for me nothing tops it (tho if your not an iTunes user then other phones might be more to your taste).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have an ipod touch but have not used an iphone.

The desire for a decent camera, not wanting to be carrying round a stealable £300 phone, and the expense of the iphone made it a simple decision.

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto Stato really.

FWIW, having swapped to my 3GS from an N95 8Gb which theoretically has a much better camera, I reckon that the iPhone actually takes better pics – not in the dark obviously (no flash!) but they just generally seem much clearer. It's never going to beat a 'proper' camera though so if you wanted that, I'd question why you're using a mobile phone…

muggomagic

I got the iPhone as I thought it was the next step up from my nokia. With the numerous mapping apps and iPod functions. It's a great phone I'm just fed up of having to have it fully charged if I'm planning to use it to do all these things for a few hours, then having to charge it when I get back.
    Might just use the nokia for bike rides

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, the battery life is the major downfall actually. 3 hrs of GPS mapping takes me to 20% battery from fully charged – though that's actually enough for me normally.

I'd consider one of the plug in battery chargers if I was going to use it for longer stuff – this sort of thing:
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=iphone+battery&hl=en&cid=14289026345497359692&sa=title#p

GrahamS

I've got one of those Kensington Battery Packs.

Really very good. Came with a multi-country adapter and storage bag.
    Essentially adds 1800mAh of Li-Pol battery which more than doubles the charge (I think the internal battery is 1400mAh)

muggomagic

I'd question why you're using a mobile phone…

I do have a proper camera which I take on days out with the kids or to a special event/occassion, but I use the mobile camera when I'm out and about. I knew when I bought the iPhone that it wasn't the best camera and it's not been a real problem as yet. I was just stating that my old nokia had a better camera.

iDave
    Free Member

nokia 5800 – like an iPhone, only better

Jamie
    Free Member

I use the iphone for the SatNav when on the m/bike and it does kill the battery. Bought one of these, and problem solved.

miketually
    Free Member

Trying to decide whether to ditch the iPhone? Is there not an app for that?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think the big downfall in iPhone marketing was actually calling it 'iPhone' as it isn't primarily a phone at all. It is a multi function device for taking pictures, playing music, keeping connected via email, messenger, Facebook etc.

If I bought mine because I wanted a phone, I would be disappointed. But as I wanted one for playing music, browsing, arsing on Facebook, taking pictures, checking weather, playing games etc and I am happy with it.

(I know other 'phones' can do most of the same functions too, but the iPhone simply does them much more smoothly.

But yes – battery life could be a real pain if away from power for more than 24 hours.

clubber
    Free Member

I think you've found a gap in the market MikeTually 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

thought about a jesus phone but then came to my senses and got the Nokia n97 (white, made in Finland not china model) on Orange, £40.00 per month, 1200mins, unlimited text & internet. oh and the handset was free! (phones4u)

GrahamS

What a shame, for just £4 a month more you could have had an iPhone with 1200mins, unlimited internet and free handset. 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Jesus phone – LOL 🙂

I was torn between the same two and chose the iPhone having used the N97 and been seriously disappointed. I don't really like the whole Apple-evangelism thing so really wanted to prefer the Nokia but really, I just found it a bit crap in comparision for what I do.

YMMV of course.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Got a HTC hero….very similar to the iphone I have been told, but has a 5 MP camera and a few other nice things. Dont regret getting it over an iphone.

davidrussell
    Free Member
    brassneck

You can now sync iTunes and iPhoto with Nokias (theres a beta plugin on the Nokia site) so theres one less reason.

I'd have liked an iPhone, but £35 a month is too much for something I barely use. Got a 5800 which does all I'm interested in at half the price.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair the only reason i have an iPhone is:

1) I got a 3G one second hand of brother in law for £180

2) It only costs me £20 p/m using the 02 Simplicity tariff (unlimited data/600mins/100txts no contract)

3) I jailbroke it.

4) Saves me buy a SatNav as well

Otherwise i would not have one.

davidrussell
    Free Member

"3) I jailbroke it."

sounds dodgy, but elaborate please 🙂

GrahamS

Not dodgy, just lets you run "unofficial" apps that are not Apple/App Store approved.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Just don't upload any official iPhone updates afterwards.

Some iPhones, dependent on series and which update the phone is operating on when the phone is jailbroken, will become expensive (but cool looking, and thats the important bit right?) bricks if updated through official Apple sources.

Yay for controlling your market.

Jamie
    Free Member

sootyandjim – Member
    Just don't upload any official iPhone updates afterwards.

Some iPhones, dependent on series and which update the phone is operating on when the phone is jailbroken, will become expensive (but cool looking, and thats the important bit right?) bricks if updated through official Apple sources.

Yay for controlling your market.

Well i am running the latest firmware on a non bricked iphone. Guess i must have just got lucky the when i updated to v3 and v3.0.1.

GrahamS

sootyandjim: I've updated mine through iTunes without incident. I've not heard of any phones getting bricked that way on any of the four iPhone blogs I subscribe too.

If it did then you could just restore the phone from a backup or restore a previous version of the firmware.

Yay for FUD.

kennyp
    Free Member

3 hrs of GPS mapping takes me to 20% battery from fully charged

Or maybe a quick glance at an OS map every now and again which doesn't use any battery power?

Sorry, couldn't resist. 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

GrahamS – Indeed you can just restore the phone, as a colleague of mine did with his when it bricked.

You subscribe to four iPhone blogs? Do you have a shrine to Steve Jobs in the cupboard under the stairs and flagellate yourself should you be forced to use a piece of electrical equipment that doesn't feature a piece of fruit on it?

You'll be wanting one of these.

😉

Kuco

Sorry sootyandjim Bill Gates beat him to that but called his Windows 😉

kimbers

7th funniest joke at edinburgh fringe this year…..

Marcus Brigstocke – "To the people who've got iPhones: you just bought one, you didn't invent it!"

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Charities seem to do pretty well out of Bill Gate's turds in a box.

Jamie
    Free Member

kimbers:
    7th funniest joke at edinburgh fringe this year…..

Marcus Brigstocke – "To the people who've got iPhones: you just bought one, you didn't invent it!"

I know your keen, but look up fella.

GrahamS

Blah blah – nah as I have explained at some length before, I'm far from an Apple fanboi. In fact the iPhone is the only Apple-flavoured Kool-Aid I drink.

Yes four blogs. Is that a lot? I'm subscribed to around 50 different feeds at the moment covering various topics.

Kuco

Their welcome to Bill Gates turds.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Windows 7 isn't too bad, far smoother to use than Vista (but thats not saying much).

Kuco

LOL I gave up with widows 2000. Remembers the hazy days of simple MS dos 🙂

CountZero

I replaced an N95 (version 1), with an iPhone. Best choice I've ever made in mobi's. Yes, it would be nice to have OS mapping on it, but I have ViewRanger on the Nokia and really didn't use it as much as I thought I would. The battery life was hopelessly inadequate, the camera was almost always impossible to focus, and web surfing just a waste of time on that little screen. I realise I could get a firmware update for the Nokia, but that entailed having to try to find somewere to do it for me, as I have a Mac, and updates are only available via a PC. I regularly get updates for the iPhone, and I've got a bunch of apps that I find genuinely useful on a day to day basis, like listening to BBC 6 Music, for example, and I've just got CoPilot satnav for £25. The camera is much better than most give it credit for, and the latest update to Genius photo app gives a pretty good zoom function, too.

muggomagic

Another iPhone complaint. Out on a ride yesterday tracking the route with motion x. Had a Missed call around an hour in so that was the end of the tracking. Does anyone know why it can't have apps run in the background and if it maybe resolved with a future update?

GrahamS

it would be nice to have OS mapping

iOSMaps offers some basic OS mapping (no routes though). Motion-X GPS does routes, waypoints etc and has "Open Terrain" maps which offer contours and NCN routes (not as detailed as true OS though).

Does anyone know why it can't have apps run in the background and if it maybe resolved with a future update?

Apple don't allow background apps because they drain the battery and would require more memory and a faster processor.

If you jailbreak it you can run any app in the background.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of ditching my iPhone’ is closed to new replies.