Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thinking of Converting my 2×10 XTR set up to T Rex 1×10 feed back Needed. V's XX
  • yorkycsl
    Free Member

i have a quandry here, current set up is a Bronson XTr 2×10 which is fine but I’ve ridden a XX1 Bronson & it was superb.

Options are, Convert the Crank, pop a 30 or 32t Hope ring on it & a T Rex on the rear for the cheaper option selling the left shifter & front mech.

Second Option is Sell the lot bar crank still convert that, put a XX1 cassette & shifter rear mech and chain on it.

Has Any one done it? tried it? And importantly how does the XTR 1×10 feel with the T Rex on it compared to a real 11 speed set up, and any Plus Minus’s ??

Any feed back much appreciated.

Cheers
    Mark

mikewsmith
    Free Member

32 is as low as I would go on the 11t. I’m at 34 on hilly riding and thats a good compromise for me. The extra that the 42 but much more importantly the 10t gives you is a factor. The missus has X01 and 1×10 11-42 on her bikes, with a 34 the range feels huge where as the 1×10 feels big.

I have the 1×10 11-40 and I know it’s a compromise before getting one of the SRAM 11sp variants as the Shimano stuff doesn’t seem to want to bother with the range.

Is it an XTR cassette? How does it split and which cogs can you remove as we were taking some different ones out in the XX(10sp) over the next level down.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve done XX/XTR 2×10, XTR 1×10 (no range expander) and XX1, so almost there!

The long and the short is that in use the two single ring setups are very similar, but XX1 has a better range. Adding a T-rex or similar narrows the gap, but leaves bigger jumps, only you know how you’d prioritise one over t’other.

XX1 is very nice, lasting very well too. I’d not get rid of perfectly functional XTR I don’t think. If you need a new transmission anyway then I’d do it.

How does it split and which cogs can you remove as we were taking some different ones out in the XX(10sp) over the next level down.

Eh? You can’t take anything out of the XX cassette, it’s a solid piece like XX1.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The ten speed XX? it might bave been X0.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

It’s a full XTR set up on my bike, i’ve just converted my son’s bronson to XX1 or rather the LBS has, i’m abroad offshore for a few more weeks so not tried his bike in anger yet though i have tried one quite a while ago.

It’s the performance of the 1×10 xtr set up that i’m interested in not so much chain rings on the front, more how the rear end copes with it all & is it smooth, if the bike will still climb as well, i do big all day stuff mainly in the lakes & it’s about the performance of it, gut feeling is XX1 back end retaining the crank… blooming cost’s though.

njee20
    Free Member

The ten speed XX? it might bave been X0.

XX is 10 speed (XG-1099), and nope, can’t remove anything, cassette is one piece. Same as X.0 (XG-1080), the PG-1070 is the best SRAM cassette you can remove individual sprockets from.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I’d have to disagree as I’ve not gone down to 1070 for a while and converted both to 11-40 but had to take a different cog out of each. I could go and dig out the tech specs or the removed cogs with the code on but I can guarantee that neither were 1070.

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM website – the XG cassettes are one piece – although I think on the XG-1080 you can remove the smallest three, so 11/12/14 IIRC, presumably one of those you were playing with? Not nearly as versatile as either a PG-1070 or a Shimano cassette though as you have a bigger jump.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Older stock, but one has a higher jump than the other. Makes very little difference though and saved having Shimano on the bike.

mos

Can’t vouch for T-Rex, but i did run a one up components 42T with an 11-36 xtr cassette & i ditched it in the end. Main reason being was the indexing went totally to **** with having the b screw wound right in. So much so that i went back to a 36 & fitted a 28T front ring & just live with 1 less high gear. May have been better with their mech cage conversion too but it’s too late now. Was gonna go x01 but i think i’ll just wait for the 11 sp shimano stuff now.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

xx1 is superb running 32t up front and its ideal

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Thanks MOS for the good feed back, not interested in SRAM 10 speed as i had it on my Zesty 914, not impressed & the clutch mech failed twice, but worse still i cracked the frame twice so it was a big decision last year before bronsons were around & i sneaked one through customs !! midlast year & loved it ever since.

Think it’s going to be a XX1 rear end & sod it, look around for the right prices.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

I bought mine from Starbike, who were cheapest at the time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think it’s going to be a XX1 rear end & sod it, look around for the right prices.

Not sure how it’s pricing but look at the X01 selection for the back end, very little difference in weight back there.

njee20
    Free Member

Virtually no cost difference too, but X01 looks tatty very fast because of the black finish. Probably not an issue with your weather 😉

Candodavid
    Free Member

Can’t vouch for T-Rex, but i did run a one up components 42T with an 11-36 xtr cassette & i ditched it in the end. Main reason being was the indexing went totally to **** with having the b screw wound right in.

Mate had this issue too, in the end he got the rad cage as well, shifting issues have been sorted

philholmes
    Free Member

I have just put a Race Face NW 32t with an XT cassette and the 40t T-Rex. I dont have a clutch mech, just and old XT mid cage (might be long) that I am using. I didn’t need to use the long B-Screw and the indexing was easy.

I get nice crisp changes and so far I have not dropped a chain, although I have only done about 16km on it. I did the biggest rings plus two links, but think I might actually be able to remove another link. I will see how it behaves first.

My other bike came with X01 and to be honest I actually prefer the shift feel of the Shimano. Not to say that the SRAM is bad, but it feels ‘clunkier’. Again I have only done about 10km on this bike, but so far I really like the gearing range.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of Converting my 2×10 XTR set up to T Rex 1×10 feed back Needed. V's XX’ is closed to new replies.