• This topic has 188 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 189 total)
  • Thinking of buying a RANGE ROVER Evoque
  • Daffy

I’m confused by the “Disco 4 is the pick of the range” and “just get a Range Rover” comments.

The Disco (3&4) and Gen 3 Range are 1000kg heavier! Their fuel efficiency and running costs are just not in the same league.

As a general everyday car they are just plain idiotic. The 2wd Evoque is relatively light and compares favourably to a 320d x drive auto:

Stats: BMW 320xd lux auto / Evoque SD4 Prestige auto
    0-62mph. 7.5s / 8.5s
    MPG: 59combined / 47combined
    ££££ £35k / £41k

I’m not a huge fan of SUVs in general, but I applaud JLR for introducing a desirable, relatively efficient (you can’t do much about drag whilst maintaining the market demanded SUV styling and driving position) luxury alternative to the pointless purchase of a Disco4/RR/RRS for those who NEVER go off road.

The Evoque looks like nothing else on the road, and looks great because of it.

mintimperial

I once saw an Evoque with an “urban camo” paint job.

Depending on where you saw it, it was quite possibly a development/prototype car as they use an ‘urban’ camp for them. Or it was just someone with no taste.[/quote]

It was on the M69. It had tinted windows and a personalised plate and was sat immovably in the outside lane despite a distinct lack of anything much to pass on its left.

Coincidentally I think that was the day I decided that humanity was uttelry irredeemable and that the sooner we’re wiped out by a ginormous meteorite the better.

z1ppy

takisawa2 – Member
    The association with that Beckham woman means I’m out.

TBF it was only a special edition Evoque… I was told by a friend of a friend of a friend etc.. that she was always presented with 3 options, and they placed the option the designers wanted in the middle, as she always picked that one.
    I’d happily buy a RR if I won the lottery, but wouldn’t touch the evoque with a shitty stick 😉 (just my gem of a opinion)

chakaping
    Free Member

I think the back of them looks like it’s styled after the new bat mobile.

If Batman lived in Cheshire, he’d definitely drive one.

iolo
    Free Member

Op, if you want it , buy it.
    To some of the posters here say I poste a thread about buying an Indy Fab bike or Shand. Would your reply be get and inbred as they’re cheaper and do the same job?

chakaping
    Free Member

To some of the posters here say I poste a thread about buying an Indy Fab bike or Shand. Would your reply be get and inbred as they’re cheaper and do the same job?

Those bikes are quite nice though.

And people are mainly pointing they are cars for ****, not that they’re too expensive.

And the OP is probably trolling anyway.

But otherwise, I agree entirely.

binners

Stereotypes exist for good reason.

I nearly got wiped out by one of those bloody things yesterday! Overtook me then turned left across me, causing me to slam the brakes on, and take evasive action to avoid being squashed! No indicators were utilised during the execution of this potentially cyclist-crushing manoeuvre.

As I gesticulated and swore at the **** inside, I noted with weary predictability that it was a peroxide blonde Essex-a-like, with sunglasses Bono would be too embarrassed to wear, on account of them being a bit gaudy. She didn’t notice me swearing at her, as she hadn’t noticed me before trying to kill me, as she was (again achingly predictably) gabbing away on her phone.

You may not actually be a complete ****, but if you’re behind the wheel of one of these, then absolutely everyone, without exception, will assume that you are! The compulsory private plate they all sport merely compounds the idea.

iolo
    Free Member

some people will be incompetent drivers whatever cars they own. Be it an evoque,BMW, Audi or rover 45. You cannot blame cars for idiocy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah but in other terms it’s more like buying one of these over something that works 🙂

Smaller than most estate cars, tiny windows, full or pillars, no visibility and all the other good things but at least it has a nice badge and a price tag to help people know how rich you want to feel.

binners

Well there’s incompetent, and there’s being an arrogant, inconsiderate ****! Certain cars scream the latter! This is exactly that car!

andyl
    Free Member

As a general everyday car they are just plain idiotic. The 2wd Evoque is relatively light and compares favourably to a 320d x drive auto:

But the xdrive is 4wd and the 2wd evoque is 2wd 😀

BMW have made some good progress with their xdrive and it’s not got much of an mpg hit and getting popular in response to consumer demand. Previously I think the demand was largely from the USA and back in Germany with the likes of the E30.

I saw a bloke riding one of those in Bristol the other day. It looked even crappier in real life.

This isn’t relevant to why you should or shouldnt buy one but the first time I saw an evoque on the road was here on the edge of the Mendips with a driver of a white one (local car and have seen it being driven just as bad since) just after they came out. We were returning from a ride with 3 friends and I was sitting at the back on the lanes. Driver decided to overtake us all on a bend and met a girl driving a corsa coming the other way. Forced her into the hedge on her side and pinned the riders at the front between his car and the hedge. Then proceeded to shout at the corsa driver! I really felt like putting the guys back window in. I have to admit it did taint my impression of Evoque drivers which has since been reinforced.

Of course I am sure there are some perfectly sensible and considerate drivers of Evoques….I’m just not sure the cocooned cockpit and small blacked out windows help those that aren’t.

Also nearly been taken out by drivers of other 4x4s and various makes of normal road car and motorbike but that episode really annoyed me.

Daffy

andyl – Member

But the xdrive is 4wd and the 2wd evoque is 2wd

Nope, I compared the 4wd version of both cars.

andyl
    Free Member

but you said “The 2wd Evoque is relatively light and compares favourably to a 320d x drive auto”

Daffy

My mistake. I started by comparing the 2wd variants (still similar) but noticed the thread descending toward 4wd and amended (some of) what I wrote.

andyl
    Free Member

ahhh

project
    Free Member

Been recomended to look at a Lexus electric hybrid 4 x 4 car, any experiences of Lexus.

bruk

Looked at 1 when replacing the wife’s 3 series Touring. Bloody small inside and quite claustrophobic without the pano roof. Nice interior and deffo better than the FL2 to sit in and drive.

However the ubiquity and smallness of them meantt we went for a proper Chelsea tractor in an X5 instead.Still obviously driven with blonde hair, enormous sunglasses but at least the phone is hands free.

Lovely inside. Has a couple of fold up seats in the boot for occasional use. Fast enough and got a deal of spare wheels and winter tyres for £600 with it so can actually cope in the snow.

The Lexus is surely just sold with hybrid drive so that you don’t have to pay the congestion charge if you live in London. Was having a nosy at one whilst waiting on car salesman showing me a CLS estate the other day and looked ok in a luxury Japanese kind of way.

brooess
    Free Member

Half your friends will envy you and the other half will be laughing at you behind your back 🙂
    And just wait till you turn up at the trail centre carpark with it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes my lil Sis has a Lexus 450h and it’s rather bloody excellent. Totally loads with all goodies that you’ll ever need/want and it’s capable of towing Caravans all the way to, and around, Spain. She’s been on a year off work, her and her Hubbie bought a 6 berth Caravan and then bought the big Hybrid to tow it with. It’s 11mths old and nothing has gone wrong yet with it.

Blinking expensive, but it’s a bloody nice thing. I almost thought about buying one myself earlier on this year, decided against it because I don’t need something that big.

PH1

There is a lot of hate on STW….or is it just that people on here are a bit jealous of people buying nice things! They are nice looking cars, nearly as nice looking as the XF. If you can afford it just buy one .

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite like them. If you. An afford one get one, they’re not massive inside but then again neither are BMW’s. They’ve been masters of the reverse tardis for years. Our three series is useless for carrying stuff.

Interesting to hear the thoughts of those slating what it is like to drive when the likes of Evo rated it pretty highly. It’ll never be massively involving but I’d imagine that it’s better than a freelander. They’re nice inside too and as I get older, it’s something that I’m getting more bothered about.

All cars get driven and parked badly.

The comments about spending money on cars are odd given the love fir wood stoves, expensive coffee machines and bikes on here. If someone can afford a car, so what? There are loads of impractical cars out there.

juanking

I too am in the market for a ‘small’ crossover SUV type motor and have booked a test drive of a Volvo XC60 AWD. Volvo seem to have some reasonable deals on at the moment. Anyone here care to admit owning one of these? Here’s the link BTW.
    http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars/volvo-xc60/tools/Pages/offers.aspx

ourmaninthenorth

Classic STW response. Blokes who earn 40k pa happily critiquing the purchasing power of people further up the middle management food chain. LOLz

(FWIW it’s a bit too over-styled for me, but I don’t struggle with the green-eyed monster when I see one on the road. Life’s too short.)

EDIT and as for the “it’s just an expensive Freelander, so buy one of those”… Genius! Ever been in one of those agricultural, lurching things? My mother had a top end loaner while her Ranger Rover was in the garage (natch) and it was dreadful. I can’t believe an Evoque is any worse than something that noisy and unrefined.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure it’s jealousy, OMITN, they just look shit.

Obviously I should qualify this statement, by pointing out I drive a Fiesta, so am quite the fashionista.

konabunny
    Free Member

fiestas look better than evoques…

there’s a pretty hefty fuel economy and price difference between the evoque and the bmw mentioned above.

aP
    Free Member

I can’t imagine ever wanting to buy an Evoque. If I wanted a 4×4 I’d buy something like a Land Crusier because they don’t let you down, I’d never want a SUV because I’d buy something with space on the inside and the rest of the time I want something cheap and economical. I have no need or desire to try and pretend to people I don’t know that I’m living a lifestyle that they want to aspire to. It’s not envy, I’m just not interested in what other people’s aspirations are.

iolo
    Free Member

My oh has a disco but I have a Dacia duster. Plastic, cheap and fantastic in the Austrian snow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Classic STW response. Blokes who earn 40k pa happily critiquing the purchasing power of people further up the middle management food chain. LOLz

Yep, if I was in the market for a fat, squat looking pokey estate car with poor MPG carrying a hell of a lot of extra weight, with poor visibility and styling based part crushing a range rover it would be high on my list…

tonyg2003

I don’t want any form of SUV at all, from either a Dacia to RR. I like 99% of the SE England population dont need one and hence they are bought for image not purpose. However I can understand why people like the image and high driving position. I’ve been driven in an Evoque, RR sport, FL2 and Pajaro in the last four days but given the state of the roads where I am I can understand why they are used. bTW Evoque seemed fine from the inside.

chakaping
    Free Member

(FWIW it’s a bit too over-styled for me, but I don’t struggle with the green-eyed monster when I see one on the road. Life’s too short.)

Wow, you’ve said more about yourself than anyone you’re trying to criticise here pal.

There’s probably quite a few on here who could afford one, but think that they’re the epitome of naffness.

Daffy

there’s a pretty hefty fuel economy and price difference between the evoque and the bmw mentioned above.

Not when you consider the residuals of both cars. 20% fuel saving isn’t hefty.

richmars

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Classic STW mistake. People don’t like the looks and reason, mistaken for envy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not when you consider the residuals of both cars. 20% fuel saving isn’t hefty.

Only if you actually buy it…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Great fun-troll, way above usual standard of the OP.
    Although i can’t help hoping that project actually gets one. With lots of extras. And a Jason Bent haircut to go with it. 😀

mudmuncher

Going for a test drive of one next week,hopefully the above comments want cloud my mind with negativity, and obvious jealousy of the lower clases

Misplaced sense of superiority.
    – Check

Low intelligence
    – Check (it’s classes not clases) 😀

Congratulations, you have passed the entrance requirements.
    Please proceed directly to your nearest landrover dealer where they will be happy to take £40K off you.
    You will then be entitled to park in ‘parent and child’ or disabled spaces at the supermarket and no longer have to move out of the outside lane on the motorway to let lesser vehicles past.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i dont envy anyone who would consider purchasing such a vehicle, they probably dress like a teenager despite being middle aged and are partial to sunbed use and theme pubs.

stoffel
    Free Member

I can’t imagine ever wanting to buy an Evoque. If I wanted a 4×4 I’d buy something like a Land Crusier because they don’t let you down, I’d never want a SUV because I’d buy something with space on the inside and the rest of the time I want something cheap and economical. I have no need or desire to try and pretend to people I don’t know that I’m living a lifestyle that they want to aspire to. It’s not envy, I’m just not interested in what other people’s aspirations are.

Hmm; rational,reasonable, sensible and indicative of a modicum of self-awareness…

How on earth can this sort of thing be allowed on this forum!?!?! 😯

Daffy

mudmuncher – Member
    Misplaced sense of superiority.
    – Check

Low intelligence
    – Check (it’s classes not clases)

Congratulations, you have passed the entrance requirements.
    Please proceed directly to your nearest landrover dealer where they will be happy to take £40K off you.
    You will then be entitled to park in ‘parent and child’ or disabled spaces at the supermarket and no longer have to move out of the outside lane on the motorway to let lesser vehicles past.

Interesting.

1. It’s Land Rover, not landrover.
    2. In this context it’s £40k from, not £40k off.
    3. I’d probably use a semicolon to link the first and second sentences, but that’s just me.

😉

konabunny
    Free Member

why would you use a semicolon?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the semiicolon is where you get to when you shove your head right up your….

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of buying a RANGE ROVER Evoque’ is closed to new replies.