Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Thinking of building a Nuclear power station in my back garden.
  • markrh
    Free Member

Anybody else done this? Want to go off grid. Was gonna ring up EDF but thought i’d try on here first.
    Looked at wind turbines, solar panels and some other green energy arty farty stuff but in the end came down on the Nuke side after contemplating it over a pint or two.
    Ok, its gonna cost an arm & a leg initially to build but I thought to offset some of the cost i’ll go down the crowd funding route with the promise to sell investors cheap lecky when its built. Neighbours don’t seem to Impressed, citing the time I melted my conservatory burning some garden rubbish but as I said, shit happens…
    Any thoughts?

dissonance

Phone up the MOD and ask if you can buy the reactor from one of the old nuke subs. Should fit fairly nicely and give more than enough power.

maccruiskeen

Have a read about the radioactive boy scout

Write to a few people – tell them you’re doing a ‘science project’ – gather your materials – place an atom in a vice and split it with a cold chisel.

samunkim
    Free Member

Quickly finish up the research in Cold Fusion and bobs yur uncle

bodgy
    Free Member

There was one in the ‘For Sale’ classifieds the other week. They only wanted £1. It was buyer collects tho, and my trailer has a puncture.

spekkie
    Free Member

I can’t see why not. Can I buy into the project before other investors find out about it please . . . .

funkmasterp

Count me in on the Crowd Funding. It seems like a completely sound idea and I can foresee no issues with it whatsoever. Your neighbours sound like a bunch of snowflakes. Even if things do go wrong, what’s the worst that can happen? Developing super powers that’s what.

701arvn
    Free Member

Start Here

seems pretty straight forward, I think most of those named died of some form of cancer in later life, so don’t forget the lead lined underpants.

welshfarmer

🙂 you may laugh! When we started up our local sustainable energy group we had a young lad come along who was convinced he was on the verge of getting his home-made hydrolysis power plant up and running in his garage. Never saw him again and don’t recall any large hydrogen fueled fires on the estate so presume he is still trying (or it works fine!)

zippykona

As long as 52% of the hard working British public say it’s OK , crack on.
    Of course you won’t actually ask them if they want a nuclear power station in a neighbour’s garden but if they like ice cream.

tthew

Wouldn’t bother with a self-build, sure it might be cheaper materials wise, (wouldn’t need to bother with any of them fancy super-alloys, jut some melted down teaspoons) and labour costs, but the regulator hurdles would be a PITA.

Just buy one off the shelf, and wire it in after the electricity meter. 300Mw should be sufficient to run the meter backwards, and the heat from the red hot wiring should mean you’d not need to turn on the central heating either.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Some lads in Swansea uni engineering department have knocked together a hydroliser. Seems to work / hasn’t exploded yet.

GrahamS

place an atom in a vice and split it with a cold chisel.

Give it a couple of light back strokes with a hacksaw first, otherwise it won’t split cleanly.

Alphabet

Colin Furze has probably built one in his back garden already so be sure to check out his how to videos on YouTube.

wonnyj
    Free Member

New genre of renewable energy comedy

[video]https://youtu.be/rEqIKAH2KjQ[/video]

maccruiskeen

Anybody else done this?

Nuclear power aside there are a few examples of micro generation about – smaller generators closer to communities so you benefit from less get loss in transmission and benefit from the heat that would otherwise be lost.

One classic example is the old BBC Studios – they had their own power plant for the studio lights and piped the excess heat out to neighbouring homes.

I live close to an old mill town and the trust that adopted the land the mill used to stand on have. Every trace above ground of the mill has gone but the they found that the underground lades and the old 1950s water turbines that powered the mill are still present and intact – they’re getting ready to re-commision them and they’re expected to generate £100k a year in feed in tarrif that will fund community projects.

My house and my neighbours are all on a district heating system powered by a big wood burning boiler out the back. Reading this makes me wonder if you could use the heat to generate a bit of electric as well. There is a weir and old turbine house out the front – the ‘big house’ was an early adopter of this elektrickery back in the day but the actual turbine is gone. The turbine is only the icing on the cake though as theres 20 miles of flow management running upstream of that weir thats still in place.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Not the boy scout but another madman in America.

I present Doug Coulter.

Nuclear plant basement

paton
    Free Member

You might be able to get some bankrupt stock at a good price

Westinghouse Bankruptcy and its Implications for the Nuclear Power Market

markrh
    Free Member

Thanks for the support Lads, I’m stoked. From what I can see this is gonna be a lot easier than I thought.
    Mint.

maccruiskeen

It was nice knowing you.

so don’t forget the lead lined underpants.

Otherwise Chernobyl Fallout.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m all for it but why your own back garden. Surely you can find a poorer neighbour whose garden would suit?

Little sweetener in a brown envelope should cover it

tthew

Chernobyl Fallout.

maccruiskeen, here all week ladies and gentlemen.

…brown envelope…

racist!

markrh
    Free Member

Flashinthepan.
    1. I’ve got the space for another shed in the garden, so housing it int a problem.
    2.My hose pipe won’t reach into any of the neighbours gardens and i believe i’ll need it for cooling.
    3.Also I’d have to buy another extension lead to get the electric back home. Costs are mounting…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I found some Uranium in a tin..

&

Water pistol to cool it down

tthew

Have you considered what you’re going to do with the spent fuel? If you do that then you’ll be ahead of every previous owner of a nuclear power plant.

matt_outandabout

Spent fuel? i hear councils have recycling targets….

markrh
    Free Member

Blue bin?

matt_outandabout

Green you dafty.

greentricky
    Free Member

The man who built a fusion reactor in his basement

Here you go OP, give this chap a call for some tips

maccruiskeen

Green you dafty.

Closer to the truth than you’d think!

A lot of schools have (or had) various radioactive materials in their science departments – stuff that emits alpha and gamma radiation and so on so that you can demonstrate with a geiger counter what materials the various types or radiation can and can’t pass through.

Its fallen out of fashion a recent years, especially the more potent radio active material – so the official advice to schools wishing to dispose of it all is…. throw it in the bin. If there was any coordinated attempt to deal with it all this little bits nuclear material would end up in one place adding up to a lot. Instead it was conceder better to have it randomly scattered in every refuse facility 🙂

epicyclo

Make sure you get the slow release nuclear materials, not the fast stuff….

tthew

22hrs since the last activity on this thread. Anyone seen markrh today? And wasn’t that a pretty sunset today, with some unusual cloud formations?

maccruiskeen

He’ll be along shortly no doubt ‘quoting from the sanskrit’

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8H7Jibx-c0[/video]

markrh
    Free Member

Still here! Bit of a u turn on the old Nuke station. Got a bit of a bad back at the moment so diy is off the menu and no money for contractors. Plus a cat has had kittens under a neighbours shed….

CountZero

Plus a cat has had kittens under a neighbours shed…

Well, if they start sprouting wings and going after the birds while in flight, then you’ll have a handy indicator of something being amiss, kinda like a canary in a coal mine.
    But not yellow…
    But just think of the YouTube kitten videos!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This is almost as good as my idea to remove the ground floor of my house. Support the upper floors on a RSJ ring beam, so I can have a sufficient sized pump track connecting the front and back gardens, where the ground floor used to be. Oh and bike storage in the bedrooms, proper Job like 8)

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeeYtp-8qE[/video]

epicyclo

I hate seeing a building like that getting trashed…

maccruiskeen

then you’ll have a handy indicator of something being amiss,

I think someone is already way ahead of you – Ray Cats

Facinating idea actually: The half-life of some of the radio active waste we are burying is longer than ‘Behaviouraly modern humans’ i.e. longer than any evidence we have of any sort of language or culture and probably 10 times longer than even the oldest languages still spoken today. So what language do you write the warning signs in if you want someone to still be able to read and understand them in 10,000 or 20,000 years time?

“Totes radioactives. Soz. Lol”

epicyclo

^Don’t worry, the mutants will keep them away…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of building a Nuclear power station in my back garden.’ is closed to new replies.