Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Thinking Allowed – the morality of cycling
  • sparksmcguff

Hi all, not really posted much on here so thought I’d start by asking if anyone else caught (IMHO) the ever thoughtful Laurie Taylor earlier in the week on Thinking Allowed (link to iPlayer content).

do cyclists feel they are ‘better’ than drivers and have drivers conceded the ethical high ground?

Interesting conversation I thought.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m not a cyclist, just someone who rides bikes – and drives too. I don’t get this idea that we are “different” people.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think some cyclists do think that, yes.

And some cyclists would be entitled to it, I think – the ones that choose to leave their cars at home and cycle. You’ve done us all a favour, good job, feel pleased with yourself.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t get this idea that we are “different” people.

+1.

nwgiles

Are we supposed to ride them, they look so pretty and innocent I’d hate to get them dirty. If they are good I take them for a drive in the car.

Cougar

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

Not at liberty to watch the show just now so I don’t know what’s said there. Are we talking about environmental ethics?

Seems an odd premise to me though; I have a bike and a car, am I ‘better’ than myself? I don’t ride a bike to feel superior and save the bunnyrabbits, I ride a bike because it’s fun. The main differential I feel between bike and car isn’t one of superiority, it’s one of vulnerability.

druidh
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

I’M NOT 🙂

Cougar

Are we supposed to ride them, they look so pretty and innocent I’d hate to get them dirty. If they are good I take them for a drive in the car.

We’re still talking about bikes? Just checking.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you cycle for utilitarian purpose of course you’re different. The majority of the population would never consider cycling as a transport option.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Druidh, +1

Only the sanctimonious holier-than-thou arrogant idiot cyclists somehow think they are “better” than anyone else.

MSP

do cyclists feel they are ‘better’ than drivers and have drivers conceded the ethical high ground?

I think most non cycling drivers believe they have a higher moral right to be on the roads.

Cougar

I’M NOT

You’ve been considering the gourd again, haven’t you. I’ve told you about that.

Cougar

Only the sanctimonious holier-than-thou arrogant idiot cyclists and motorists somehow think they are “better” than anyone else.

FTFY.

nwgiles

Cougar – Member

We’re still talking about bikes? Just checking

Definately nothing is innocent in wrexham

Junkyard
    Free Member

flash in Vox populi shocka 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so is taking the bike instead of a car not a better thing to have done?

Is it still a better thing if you didn’t intend it to be better, but it was anyway?

If you habitually do better things, are you not better in that respect than those who don’t?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar, a valid point. This may have been a better way to put it…

Only the sanctimonious holier-than-thou arrogant idiots somehow think they are “better” than anyone else.

😉

nwgiles

So is buying a bike on the cycle2work scheme and never cycling to work immoral?

druidh
    Free Member

Doesn’t “better” depend very much on your own viewpoint.

crikey
    Free Member

I think the way mountain biking has developed in this country, maybe elsewhere, and the move away from XC towards bigger, less versatile bikes has produced a situation where mountain biking in the UK is almost totally dependant on motorised transport.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ofcourse, everything depends on the metric but we are on about choice of transport here so what can we judge that on? Comparing two identical journey were there is a choice between bike and car, not comparing 100 mile car trip with a 5 mile bike trip.

Pollution?, safety, Effect on the rest of society? Congestion effects?

Del

I think the way mountain biking has developed in this country, maybe elsewhere, and the move away from XC towards bigger, less versatile bikes has produced a situation where mountain biking in the UK is almost totally dependant on motorised transport.

pfft! yours maybe, not mine.

Comparing two identical journey were there is a choice between bike and car, not comparing 100 mile car trip with a 5 mile bike trip.

though there’s a choice to be made on where you live wrt where you work, so there’ obviously a trade-of between what is seen as an acceptable commute by car or by bike.

Cougar

Cougar, a valid point. This may have been a better way to put it…

Indeed, point conceded. (-:

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ll be more pedantic. All things being equal comparing the two choices. The 5 vs 100 mile point was because I knew some one would say, “well I can’t ride 100 mile to work” e.t.c.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well as above – it’d be hard to argue that a 5 mile car trip into town was in any way better than taking the bike instead. I suppose it raises more tax revenue for the govt, and contributes more to the local economy of car servicing and tyres etc.

druidh
    Free Member

And it keeps me drier when it’s raining. That feels a lot better to me.

donsimon
    Free Member

I suppose it raises more tax revenue for the govt, and contributes more to the local economy of car servicing and tyres etc.

So you’d agree that taking the car is better then?

crikey
    Free Member

pfft! yours maybe, not mine.

Not mine either, but my observation of mountain biking seems to suggest that the majority of the ‘leisure activity’ is undertaken by driving to places to ride.

I don’t drive to ride locally; I’ve no need, but I have driven to visit areas like the Lakes, and to use trail centres in the UK and Scotland.

I suggest that the distinction between mountain bikers and drivers is not great.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not mine either, but my observation of mountain biking seems to suggest that the majority of the ‘leisure activity’ is undertaken by driving to places to ride.

I made a decision to live with excellent biking on my doorstep, 500m climbs for either road or mountain bike, 100s of kms straight from the back door.
    120km daily commute was a bit of a bugger though…

Anna-B
    Free Member

See, I tend to agree. I can cycle XC all day in Wiltshire – riding from home – and not see another cyclist. Lots more off road bikes being sold these days, where are they all?

I drive 00s of miles a week, but am glad to be a cyclist and occasional pillion rider as it clearly increases my awareness as a car driver. It’s all still me though, whatever I’m in/on.

nealglover
    Free Member

So is buying a bike on the cycle2work scheme and never cycling to work immoral?

It’s a tax dodge, don’t know about immoral though.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s a tax dodge, don’t know about immoral though.

The preserve of the wealthy these tax dodges, no? So I guess not.

Cougar

Tax break ITYF.

fasthaggis

I think I am a better and more considerate driver because I cycle.

I think I am a better and more considerate cyclist because I use a motorbike and car .
    😉

Cougar

If you’re cycling in a car and driving on a bicycle, you’re almost certainly doing something wrong.

(-:

I think you’re right though, TBH. I think that learning to ride a motorbike improved my driving considerably; certainly with regards to my awareness of the behaviour of other dissimilar traffic. A mile in another man’s shoes, and all that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never said anyone who rides a bike was better!

There are lots of people on here who do much more cycling than just driving to trail centres.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are even more people that do much more driving than just driving to trail centres.

I like riding bikes and dislike driving on the public road. My life is organised to take this into account which means roughly twice as many kms ridden as driven.

I feel a little guilty driving around filling the air with CO2 and carcinogens whist intimidading pedestrians and cyclists (this is a white van so no matter how I drive it people will feel frightened). On my bike I feel no guilt but very vulnerable.

nealglover
    Free Member

Tax break ITYF.

Only if you use it as the scheme requires surely ?

Otherwise you are lying to get reduced tax.

Surely that classes as tax dodging, not using a permitted tax break 😉

(I did my own Cycle to work scheme anyway as I’m self employed, I bought a bike for….. Errr….. Delivering leaflets ?
    Claimed the 20% Vat back, and wrote the rest off as a business expense against my tax bill)

Sorted. :mrgreen:

brooess
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say cyclists are morally superior, but IMO certainly commuters and roadies, from bitter experience, have a broader perspective and awareness than your average joe, about the dangers of a car-dominated society (pollution, congestion, obesity, unpunished agression/bullying).

A broader perspective generally brings wisdom… so maybe we’re wiser rather than morally superior.

I do think including cycling in the driving test would do a lot of people a lot of good in terms of helping them understand the myth that car driving is some kind of entitlement without external costs on the rest of society, and in helping people be more thoughtful, could do a lot of good generally…

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t viewed the thingy but I don’t think I’m “better” than drivers – I KNOW I’m more vulnerable though, so i get very pissed off when shit drivers put me in danger.
    Not sure if this is relevant. But it does make me “different” from drivers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Thinking Allowed – the morality of cycling’ is closed to new replies.