Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Thinking about moving out of the city?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t get why because we live in a village location he’ll have to travel for a social life. Surely if all the other friends live in the same (or closeby) village then there’s no issue at all ?

Depends a lot on where you are, I grew up in Northumberland, in some of the villages there would only be 1 or 2 kids in the same age group. If it turns out you don’t get on with them tough. If your mates are in other villages that does involve driving round, it was 3-4 miles min between places so not exactly stroll round is it. The last bus home from town was at 6pm I think so if you did anything that finished later you needed a lift, busses during the day were not that frequent either.

I certainly wasn’t saying it’s going to be worse but it’s going to be a big change and it’s not all fun when can’t do stuff because nobody can give you a lift somewhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You dont need to move 20/40 miles to get out o town

I grew up near dundee.

Moved to aberdeen ready embrace city life – pubs/clubs/comedy/music

Truth be told- theres not much to write home about in aberdeen of any of those.

I lasted 8 months before moving out. Went to auchenblae- that is in your 20/40 miles away and that was too far away.

Moved to durris- in a rental. Distance better.

Have settled on the outskirts of culter – about 3 miles from the village but still within city limits. Close enough to work . 2 mile walk to a regular bus service/night bus and a direct cycle path to town on the railway line.

Get out of the city though at all costs aberdeen city to me is hellish. Like you say the lack of progress is embarassing!

nickjb
    Free Member

Some of the points like “I couldn’t live without trails from my door” etc. need to be balanced with I spend 1-2hrs every day driving to and from work. I lived within riding distance of Lee Quarry at one point but a commute from hell never inspired me to head out there when I got home. I’d rather have an easy commute and travel a bit for the fun stuff.

That’s what I found. Living in the sticks I could ride from the door but it meant the same sort of riding every time so I didn’t really bother and wasn’t in the mood after driving home. In the city I’d get home early and can jump in the car and be on some great trails in 20 mins. Also I can get all the dull stuff (shopping, haircuts, drs, etc) done on the way home and keep weekends and days off free for fun stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnny

The debate about the lot of your children, especially as they become teenagers and beyond is one I can identify with. I grew up on a farm in rural Leicestershire, and I had little freedom without lifts- I could ride out on my bike in the day light, but I wouldn’t have been riding to/from anything after dark, and it was 4 miles to anywhere worth going.

I now live in a village in Oxfordshire, with (currently very muddy) chilterns trails about 100 yards behind the house, views of the river/cows/deer etc out the front window. I’m also about 300 metres the other way from the train station which will get me into Oxford in 40mins or London in 50.

I’ve lived in plenty of cities, but I am much more comfortable with rural living. I probably have a better social life now, partly through my kids being in the village primary school. I’m also pretty confident my kids will have more freedom to go places as they get older, so it doesn’t have to be one or the other. This may be very dependent on the part of the country you’re in though…

Edit- weeksy, having stalked your profile just now, I suspect the ‘place of dreams’ you live in might be the next stop up the line from mine…? 😉

pirahna
    Free Member

I moved from North London to a small village outside Bishops Stortford in Herts 14 years ago and it’s really pissing me off. There are pluses but commuting 40 miles each way for work isn’t one of them. I’ve been trying to talk wifey into swapping our current house for a flat in London and house the country for the last two years. I almost made it too, the house was on the market last year but she got cold feet so it came off.

The main plus sides for me are, great road cycling (wifey is a keen rider as well). Good circle of friends we’ve built up.

The negatives, crap off road riding. The commute to work. The cost of commuting.

Things that don’t bother me, the local pub is OK but I rarely use it. The nearest shop is five miles away.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

As somone said above living in the country doesn’t have to mean 20-30 miles way from a town or city. We used to live in rural Wiltshire in the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty 12 miles from Swindon. 15 mins into Swindon or Marlborough by car so we spent no more time ferrying kids around than we would have living in a large city.

By all means take your kids into consideration but at the end of the day if you are living somewhere that makes you unhappy just because of the kids then you may end up resenting them.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I grew up near dundee.

Moved to aberdeen ready embrace city life – pubs/clubs/comedy/music

Truth be told- theres not much to write home about in aberdeen of any of those.

I lasted 8 months before moving out. Went to auchenblae- that is in your 20/40 miles away and that was too far away.

eh? Are you me?
    Anyway, one thing about moving out of Aberdeen is getting back in again can be a right pain in ar5e. Coming in from the south, roadworks in the Portlethen area were a complete and utter nightmare and I’d imagine the A90 north and Deeside roads would be as much fun. Motorbike was brilliant solution there though.
    That said, summer mornings and evenings pootling up and down the A92 coast road were a fine start and end to the day.
    EDIT BTW I always like Stonehaven, not quite country but a lovey wee toon with some excellent facilities considering the size of the place.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about moving out of the city?’ is closed to new replies.