Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thinking about hiring campervan, near Oxford. Tell me your thoughts?
  • jsm

I’m thinking about hiring a campervan, probably a VW or maybe a more plastic newish thing for a week in the summer for me and my better half. Anyone got any thoughts they’d like to share? We are unsure where we want to go and normally drift around Europe, avoiding rain camping out of the estate car. This year I thought we’d do the south west and the wales/gower.

Where do most people stay? is it all camping and caravan club sites (many years ago I remember doing the caravan thing with my folks)? Any good companies for hire? Any suggestions if it’s just easier to stick with the estate and just b & b it up?

sandwicheater

We’ve always camped and have always enjoyed camping however;

Hired one for my 30th a birthday and on our honeymoon and twas ace. Went for a coach built one and no regrets. Coped with super tight lakes roads and alps roads with ease. Baked cakes after climbing, had a shower after the wettest/coldest ride, parked up in some of the nicest spots for free.

Thought about a wee VW but really pleased we went big and not a great deal more but we were out of season.

You’ll enjoy it I promise.

cookies

If your tall avoid the VW option as though they are lovely you just don’t fit well.

Rent and work out what you like… Then buy one and never look back. This is what happened to me and I was lucky enough to get a sabbatical from work and spend 9 months in it.

My best advice on where to stay is to build up from the nice safe camping and caravan club stuff (I personally dislike them and find them claustrophobic, too regimented and run by very nice but pedantic boy scout types) to wild camping where you can.

PePPeR

The only good company I know of for hiring modern motorhomes is this one;

http://www.justgo.uk.com/contact-just-go.html

They are based near Luton which isn’t the end of the earth from Oxford. About 40 miles if you go through Aylesbury.

There are loads of Pubs that will let you stop for free if you’re eating in their establishments.

Here’s one way of doing it for a one off £30 charge.

http://www.justgo.uk.com/contact-just-go.html

There are some great sites on the Gower though that we’ve stopped in without needing to be a member of any club.

PePPeR

Oh and the Just go team sell campers at damm good prices too!

jsm

@cookies – I’m 5ft 11, too tall for VW types?

IHN

I’m 5ft 11, too tall for VW types?

Not mine, I’m 6’1″ and I’ve spent literally months sleeping in mine.

I can’t stand up in it mind…

cookies

I 6’2” and wife is 6’1” and it was a squash and a squeeze. Now we have two kids.

Just my preference is to go big and take everything.

Off for 3 weeks in Sweden and cant wait.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about hiring campervan, near Oxford. Tell me your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.