Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Thinking about buying a new frame is actually giving me nightmares!
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve never had a new bike/frame but for my up coming 40th i’ve decided to treat myself but the thought of shelling out £1500 on a new frame is really starting to stress me out.

I can’t seem to decide which one to get and am having trouble sorting out test rides and the thought of spending all that money and making a wrong choice doing my head in

Last night i dreamt just that, i bought a fancy new frame (some generic dream frame) but on the first test i realised i’d made a big mistake and it felt awful!

Am i sad or is this the norm?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s your old age.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Decide what frame, then find it second hand, barter yourself into a bargain, then sell at a profit if you don’t like it. Possibly. If you do like it, spend the change on some bling bits.

wwaswas

Just been through similar (albeit only spending £450).

It’s ordered but not arrived yet. Having made the choice I now feel less concerned, though.

ton

swisstony…………….money was invented to spend.
    it is the only time it is any good, when it is spent. 8)

peakmonster
    Free Member

Second that
    buy used most frames are massively over priced due to the lovely importers/ distributors
    making a cosy living off the gullable few with more credit cards than sense ( otherwise known as cattle)

ivantate
    Free Member

Buy an Orange 5 and love it.

i did.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its probably the norm for the proletariat like yourself.

Thankfully I’ve succeeded at life and have reached the magical £35k per year mark.

Therefore, spending £1.5k on a bike frame doesnt worry me at all. I usually find myself worrying about the amount of plastic found in modern car interiors

mrbump
    Free Member

if its stressing you get a second hand one, half the price and just as good. 😀

mrbump
    Free Member

+1 on the orange five.never heard a bad word said or bad review. very versatile.

swisstony
    Free Member

i think i’d be better off buying a second hand one but i really fancied a new one once in my life!

the 5 was on my list but at the very common height of 5 10 i’m in between sizes, they’re one of the few bikes i have managed a ride on

mrbump
    Free Member

post the frames you are consisdering and people can give you their verdict.this may help as long as you can judge whos valid and who talkin sh*t 😆

z1ppy

Don’t rush it… it might be for your birthday but there no reason it has to be ‘there’ on the day of your birthday. £1500 is a good chunk of money in anyones book for ‘just’ the frame (though you wonder on some threads on here & some of the prices nowadays), so take your time & get all the test rides you need to make your decision. I’ve bought a couple of bikes blind, but none of them cost that much just for the frame, so it wasn’t the risk your talking about, but I do understand your ‘worry’. I think the main worry for testing bikes is that they may ‘all’ feel fine with none of them being outstanding..

Leku
    Free Member

My 40th present…

IMGP0617 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr

mrbump
    Free Member

yes you are right in the middle height wise, i’m 5’9″ and i have got a orange patriot in a 16″ with a 50mm stem and it feels great.a more compact frame is better in my opinion.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Talking shite like David c*ckforth
    I’ve reached 35k says it all

That particular style of insult says it all – Your still at school, probably first or second year?

In time you’ll lose your pre-pubescent angst, and you may even finish school, succeed at life and get a good £35k per year job. I’m sure your views will change with time. Good luck!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Buy second hand and spend the change on a holiday. As above you can always resell if you don’t like it.

Bad words about oranges? Try ugly, noisy, common and expensive!

mrbump
    Free Member

suspected wind up merchant??? 😕

mrbump
    Free Member

good words about orange fives: plush,bombproof,low/cheap maintaince,spot on geometry,versitle,british made!

mrbump
    Free Member

common doesn’t mean its bad bike….maybe the opposite??

foxyrider
    Free Member

Done that with a wheelset which is part financed by Xmas money – You obviously want it and why not – When I get too old to ride bikes I don;t want to look back and regret not trying somenting (within reason)

bigben69
    Free Member

I reckon second hand is the way to go,… Whats all this shit about how much you earn..?? £35k is that it..?? Mate you aint that sucessful!! 😀

swisstony
    Free Member

Nice choice Leku

Out of interest, I’m looking at a santa cruz butcher but no where close has a test bike, 18 bikes have a nickel so hopefully that will give me some idea.

It doesn’t matter how much money you earn (within reason) £1500 is still alot of money.

chakaping
    Free Member

Second that
    buy used most frames are massively over priced due to the lovely importers/ distributors
    making a cosy living off the gullable few with more credit cards than sense ( otherwise known as cattle)

You might be right, but that’s still quite a chunky chip on your shoulder.

oddjob
    Free Member

I don’t have nightmares, but I often find that agonising over bike parts stops me being able to get to sleep at night.

I think it is really work related stress, but it manifests iteslf as bike anxiety!

swisstony
    Free Member

It’s weird as normally i don’t get stressed at all but to get stressed over something that should be pleasurable is just unfair.

I don’t think i’ll find a s/h green butcher though?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve sold a car for less than I’ve paid for a bike tyre.

Perhaps it was you that bought it Grum.

Speshpaul

“good words about orange fives: plush,bombproof”
    Humm interesting.

What you need to accept is that once you have spent you cash its gone. Thats it, no worries.
    Try a few bike for £1.5k, you might be surpired.

simonm
    Free Member

pmsl that the £35k quote is going multi thread

glynP
    Free Member

Blur LT is the way to go light long lasting and not too expensive, oh and they also ride really well

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just took 4-5 months to get (hand over the money) a Blur LT carbon, its cost me a fortune but i don’t regret buying it for a second 😆

bigben69
    Free Member

My mate just sold a Santa Cruz Heckler 10 months old in new condition for £540 on ebay… New it was worth £1300.
    There are some great frames out there, just be patience!
    If you have the money or earn somewhere around £35k and are successful then buy new,…!! 😈

simonm
    Free Member

money was invented to spend. It is the only time it is any good, when it is spent.

Thats the first indication I’ve seen that the recesion is over 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

35K – sounds like :

I am considerably richer than yaw 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI[/video]

bigben69
    Free Member

Classic!! What a tw*t!!

mrbump
    Free Member

the five is super plush with single pivot and fox rp23xv air can giving more linear travel.admittedly the suspension is not very active under brakeing but this learns you to stay off the anchors more!
    and who would deny that its a durable frame?

batman11
    Free Member

OOOOOOOOOOOO 35k!! Well done, pat on the back and enjoy your masda mx5 penis extension you lovingly strap your pride and joy on each weekend to puff up the hills on…. And yes 1500 is still alot of money to spend on a frame or any componant. regards the nickle there a great frame got one and enjoying it alot. Good luck with your choice oldbean.

Bats.

donks
    Free Member

I just wish I was in the position to have nightmares about buying a new frame. Im having nightmares about the prospect of replacing the bust spoke on my front wheel. 😥

Rorschach
    Free Member

Si from Progressive will be along any minute to sell/recommend you something…..his phishing radar must be iced up 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wish he’d post some more about the evo g2 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about buying a new frame is actually giving me nightmares!’ is closed to new replies.