Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • thinking about a road bike possibly with discs
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Is it worth getting discs on a road bike ? Part of me says yes part of me says could be a bit dangerous

Currently looking at defy or synapse disc

Cant seem to see past the disc option on synapse tho tbh. What else is out there worth a look

I like the slightly longer ht than out and out race bikes and im never going to race. Tho my old caad5 was lovely 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is a good question; basically it’s a buy now or buy later issue. If you’re buying a whole new bike then I think it’s worth it if you can afford to get something that is good enough to last you several years. I say this because the development cycle for road bike discs is going to go into overdrive soon and you can’t rule out standards changing or evolving and the subsequent obsolescence that will entail. Buying close to best available now will mean you are likely to insulate yourself from some of that obsolescence.

Not sure why you would think it dangerous though? Maybe you’re referring to being over braked but if so I wouldn’t worry about that. They do male sense especially in wet weather, but personally I think the biggest performance gain that discs offer to consumers on the road is the ability to run carbon rims (both pressures and tubs) without the associated issues of braking performance and rim failure. That is another reason why I suggest the compelling reason to go discs now is to go high end.

Jamie
    Free Member
    firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah it was the powerful brakes combined with a small contact patch and greasy roads. Ive had a few slips on the motorbike

firestarter
    Free Member

Nice looking at 850 tops budget should have bought the hack mentioned on here before it sold out lol was hovering. Tenet looks good tho

chakaping
    Free Member

At your budget I’d say no.

You’ll get a lighter, better specced bike if you stick with rim brakes – and you can spend a few quid on some decent brake pads if required.

firestarter
    Free Member

Found a 105 synapse disc thats just doable

firestarter
    Free Member

I guess waiting til winter is an option too. New bikes out and no one buying

christhetall
    Free Member

Bought a cannondale Synapse Ultrega in the spring and have been very happy with it. OK not got much to compare it with – my last road bike was really crap and went for recycling years ago – but it’s done what I’ve wanted to do, all days rides with plenty of hills thrown in.

Wasn’t sure about the disks and still not sure – as everyone points out it not the brakes that is the key factor, it’s the contact patch. One factor for me is that being 14 stone and riding around Sheffield (pothole central) I’ve had a tendency to buckle wheels and that becomes less of an issue with discs than rim brakes. Another factor is that the bike industry seems keen to improve disc brakes – they may not be better now but in 2 or 3 years who knows, and having a disc compatible bike gives you some future proofing. Then again I don’t think we’ll see discs in road racing any time soon.

velomanic
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the ‘powerful brakes / small contact patch / greasy roads’ scenario.

Road-disk brakes aren’t just about outright power and in my experience, the improved feel and control (in all conditions) is the real benefit. I’ve had far less lock-ups with disk brakes then I had with rim brakes.

MrSmith
    Free Member

WTF is going on with the 70.5º head angle of that saracen? i wish MTB manufactures would stop trying to make road bikes more like hybrids. or is it supposed to be a ‘path racer’ ?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

i think discs on a road bike is safer. I’ve got cable disks on my Roadrat which is currently configured as a road bike and they’re brilliant. The modulation is far better than the 105 rim brakes on my ‘proper’ road bikes, and despite having the same sized tyres at the same pressure the braking is far better on the roadrat, despite it being heavier. You can lock up road bike wheels with normal rim brakes just as easily as you can with disc brakes so that’s not an issue, you get used to them instantly. The modulation and improved feel far outweigh the downsides.

There are downsides. The discs can ring sometimes, which is a minor annoyance if you’re the sort of person that expects thier bike to be silent – i’m not that bothered and can tolerate the odd creak or ring if I know what they are and they’re not an issue. Also you can get wheel ejection issues if the dropouts are not designed well.

Whether or not its a feature that would be the main reason to choose one bike over the other, i’m not sure and would probably depend on how you’d use the bike i.e. if you’re going to use it in crappy weather. All else being equal i’d go for the disks – if not then things like frame quality and other items on the spec sheet will potentially be more preferable, especially if its a pure road/race bike.

I can’t see me ever buying another road bike without disks now. Then again I probably buy a road bike once every 10yrs, so my current proper road bike with rim brakes is it for the forseeable.

plus-one

Not road as such I’ve went disc on my cx bike

I was very much in the discs are overkill camp for cx/road etc.. And now I’m converted(cx anyway)
    Too many road bikes to wear out first 😉

It’s all in the feel/modulation and as mentioned I’ve never locked up(well unless I was power sliding a corner 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘thinking about a road bike possibly with discs’ is closed to new replies.