Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thinking about a new Heckler
  • Freester

I serviced a mate's bike last week and took it for a spin on Sat AM to check everything was OK. It's a ten year old SC Heckler. The Manitou (Sherman?) forks seemed OK as did the 5th Element air/coil shock. Great bike – really confidence inducing and not that bad a climber despite the weight / geometry.

So that got me thinking about getting a new frame or bike. OK I know the new 2010 / 2011 Hecklers are a bit different I can't get this bike out of my head.

I have a 2006 Marin (please be nice) Attack Trail. It has a relatively new Hope Pro II / Mavic 721 on the back and Chris King 20mm / Mavic 721 on the front to fit a 2 year old set of RS Pike 454 airs (the 110-140 adjustable travel).

So I have a couple of questions…

-Am I right in understanding it would be better to go for an uprated shock such as the current Fox DHX air or coil?
    -Are my current forks going to be OK (bearing in mind that the SC website quote frame made for 120-160mm travel)
    -Any ideas what sort of weight bike would result with this build?
    -Any ideas what other forks I could consider?
    -I'm 6'3" should I be thinking about a Large or XL frame?

Anything else I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Didn't those Marins have quite a high bottom bracket? You'd probably feel more confident on just about anything with a lower BB than 14".

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If yer anywhere near Cheshire, I have a Large 09 Heckler yer welcome to try out for size..

Its got a DHX 5.0, and Fox 36s…

Could well be interested in selling the frame…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Teeto, why?

-Am I right in understanding it would be better to go for an uprated shock such as the current Fox DHX air or coil?
    -Are my current forks going to be OK (bearing in mind that the SC website quote frame made for 120-160mm travel)
    -Any ideas what sort of weight bike would result with this build?
    -Any ideas what other forks I could consider?
    -I'm 6'3" should I be thinking about a Large or XL frame?

I have an 03 model but I'd say:

No.
    Yes but if you ride gnar you'll like something burlier.
    Frame weight is around 7lb – prob not much different to your Marin.
    36 s or similar
    6' 0.5", happy on a L.

Would also echo stuff re high BB on Marin, I couldn't get on with mine.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

im same height as you and my large Heckler fits me nicely. ive got 140mm revelations and it rides really well, so your pikes will be equally as good.

mines an 06, its a great bike, well worth a go – especially since the new ones will be so cheap!

Freester

Thanks for the quick replies and advice.

B.A.Nana You may have a point about the high BB! 🙂

Teetosugars Thanks for the offer but I am nowhere near you to try for size 🙁

cynic-al and MrCrushrider I am beginning to think the way ahead is get a new frame. Move across as much gear as possible and then think about some bling and expensive Fox 36s next year.

Final question. What length steerer for a 2010 / 2011 Heckler? I cut my Pikes a tad when I put them on my Marin

Thanks again…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

around 220mm plus should be fine (i think)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sc site may well have the HT length

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

can't beat a heckler, especially at the new price. I can't see why anyone would buy an Orange 5 now the hecklers price is so good.

Freester

Thanks people looking at the SC UK website the head tube lengths are 5.1" for a Large and 5.9" for an XL. Should be able to work it out from that.

Bregante

Scienceofficer – Member
    can't beat a heckler, especially at the new price. I can't see why anyone would buy an Orange 5 now the hecklers price is so good.

I am having that debate with myself at the moment. I tested a heckler in 2007 before I bought my Enduro loved it but the 69 deg head angle made me think twice because I wanted something that would feel more confidence inspiring on steep techy descents (pyrenees, alps etc). Now the price has come down it's back on the cards but I can't help thinking that the geometry of the new 5 sounds tempting – despite the price. looks like I'll have to test another one!!

Edit: What effect does sticking 36's on the heckler do to the effective head angle and do they raise the BB height much?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Teeto, why?

Dunno really Al, Just kinda fallen out of love with the whole MTB thing..

I'm not fit enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh noes! 🙁

Whatever makes you happy dude.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Teetosugars – are you still interested in selling your Heckler frame?

ChrisL

The Heckler's stays bulge out quite far so if you ride heels-in you're liable to find them in the way. It's the main reason I didn't get a Heckler earlier this year. The 5's stays may be slabsided but they're comparatively svelte.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about a new Heckler’ is closed to new replies.