Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • thinking
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

would a on one 456 with a carbon fork be enough around ashton court / 50 acre and leigh woods. i am used to a budget 4" fs (mongoose), heavily upgraded

molgrips
    Free Member

What's the question? Will you be able to ride a bike around ashton court?

Yes.

wwaswas

you'll be fine (although rather more battered than you're used to).

simonlovell999
    Free Member

want to get more skills off-roading and go further (all day riding). was thinking of a 6" fs. but that be too much for all day riding

molgrips
    Free Member

Inches of travel doesn't affect how good it'llbe for all day riding. Riding position and weight do.

I wouldn't go for a rigid forked bike for all day riding btw. Or if it was my only bike.

clubber
    Free Member

Define 'enough'. If you mean will it be ok to ride without causing you to crash all the time then yes, definitely – loads of us ride full rigid particularly in winter.

For me though, AC/LW are rooty enough these days (and will probably get more so) that I use suspension forks when it's dry as it just gets a bit dull hitting root after root at the speeds you can reach and it tends to spoil the flow too. YMMV and no doubt the STW riding gods will be along shortly to say how you just need to ride smoothly/pick better lines which while technically correct-ish, doesn't really stack up for people who don't need to ride rigid to prove themselves.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

a 6" fs would be around 35lb (giant reign looking at – 2nd hand). maybe a 456 with u turn revs. not sure. my current mongoose is ok, rear shock is leaking oil and its only faux bar.

clubber
    Free Member

Inches of travel can affect how good it is for all day riding I reckon… A good XC full susser can make rough, long rides much more comfortable/enjoyable.

clubber
    Free Member

And thirdly 🙂

You could get a decent, fairly light full sus frame from the classifieds for £150-£200 which isn't much more than the 456 and similarly, you could get a second hand set of Recons or similar for under £100.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

was thinking like a giant reign 2006/07 with pikes or lyriks. 2nd hand. that all day?

njee20
    Free Member

On what budget?

I used to ride my cross bike around Ashton Court etc, it was alright, bit dull. Personally preferred driving over to Cwmcarn!

wwaswas

all day would for me woudl be an anthem with Rebas but it depends what you ride, I guess.

clubber
    Free Member

What wwaswas said for me too…

simonlovell999
    Free Member

a giant reign with a coil shock and lyriks is going to be heavy. maybe a trance with a float/rp23 be a lot better with a 120mm reba or revs.

comfort and weight. all day riding. only got one bike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘thinking’ is closed to new replies.