Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Think you take good photos?
  • theotherjonv

Some of these are just ‘wow’ – the selfie bride is just like a classic painting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-42394818

avdave2

Some of these are just ‘wow’ – the selfie bride is just like a classic painting

Yes and the photo from Bangladesh could have been taken by Don McCullin 40 years ago, in other words absolutely nothing there we haven’t seen a million times and I’m not sure any of them are anywhere close to the best generic photos we are constantly exposed to.

DezB
    Free Member

Ken Mainardis of Getty Images knows nothing compared to avdave, obvs.

seosamh77
    Free Member

meh. liked the tennis yin. that’s about it.

Andy-R

avdave2 – Member
    Yes and the photo from Bangladesh could have been taken by Don McCullin 40 years ago, in other words absolutely nothing there we haven’t seen a million times and I’m not sure any of them are anywhere close to the best generic photos we are constantly exposed to.

I agree with this entirely -that McCullin “look” is there.

stevied
    Free Member

There’s some proper BS going on in the descriptions 🙄

avdave2

Ken Mainardis of Getty Images knows nothing compared to avdave, obvs.

Have you not looked at any images from the last 40 years Dez? These are just supposedly the best attempts at showing us the same stuff we’ve been looking at for years.

stumpy01

Erm – they are good pics.

But, most of them are due to the location that most people don’t have access to.

I don’t know if it’s changed, but a lot of sport/concert venues don’t let members of the public in with ‘professional cameras’ & you can’t get anywhere near the subject you are trying to take pics of, let along back stage/high vantage points etc.

Don’t get me wrong, they are great pics – but there are probably hundreds of amateur photographers out there who would have just as good a creative eye to capture those types of images, they just can’t get in the right position.

Tennis girl, Academy Awards, Rohingya refugees, hockey puck, Manchester concert & Rihanna red carpet shots would be all but impossible for ‘joe public’ to shoot.

If I’d photographed that academy award one, I’d be bloody annoyed by photobomb blokie in the background, which once noticed is all I can see. Perhaps if the photographer has moved position slightly he could have ‘hidden’ him from view, or made him less prominent.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s anything special in any of those pics. They’re all decent enough I’ve seen far far better elsewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’re onto what makes a ‘good’ photo now. Answer is – lots of things.

ThePinkster

There’s some proper BS going on in the descriptions

Any really good image shouldn’t require a description. It should speak for itself.

theotherjonv

They’re all decent enough I’ve seen far far better elsewhere.

I like good photos, maybe you could link to a few?

TO ME <- a good photo isn’t just about the quality of the photo but about the subject as well. Hence the Ariana Grande one, with the back story, or the anti-fa rally one where he’s one mis-swing away from being walloped with a baseball bat.

Andy-R

The photograph taken by Kevin Frayer is, for me, the standout one. But then he’s the only one that I’d ever previously heard of.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

There’s some proper BS going on in the descriptions

Utter BS. Loads of it. As the old saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words so I don’t need some ‘expert’ bollocks to accompany the pictures to tell me whats going on.

theotherjonv

Really. You could tell the back story to this just from the image?

I’m impressed.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its someone taking a selfie.

stevied
    Free Member

Its someone with unparalleled skills of composition, imagery and knowledge of life itself taking a photo of someone taking a selfie.

johndoh
    Free Member

Who is the artist that selfie pic has been inspired by – always lights from the left? Both my memory and Google are failing me

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

FunSponge™

jairaj

The photos are good but agree theres nothing massively original about some of them and yes given the same access that these photographers have there are many others that could produce similar results.

But I don’t think the article is purely about amazing photos its also about documenting what happened during the year and picking key moments. I’m sure he could have chosen an amazing photo of a sunrise in a beautiful landscape but it wasn’t really a key moment in the media so wasn’t chosen.

tang
    Free Member

Vermeer must be the inspiration for selfie one.

colournoise

tang – Member
    Vermeer must be the inspiration for selfie one.

With a little sprinkle of Caravaggio.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I think you are right – but I am sure I have seen an original painting which is basically an identical composition and can’t find it. But the style is certainly Vermeer.

Drac

FunSponge

No paging posts.

colournoise

johndoh – Member
    Yeah I think you are right – but I am sure I have seen an original painting which is basically an identical composition and can’t find it. But the style is certainly Vermeer.

I know what you mean, but even Google’s reverse image search only brings up other photos in that same series.

johndoh
    Free Member

but even Google’s reverse image search only brings up other photos in that same series.

Yep I tried that too 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Utter BS. Loads of it. As the old saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words so I don’t need some ‘expert’ bollocks to accompany the pictures to tell me whats going on.

BREXIT BINGO!

DezB
    Free Member

More boring, un-original garbage, here: Your Best of 2017
    Critique away 😀

ampthill

Great moments in time and I do like the selfie. But surely the not the best photos of the year?

chakaping
    Free Member

Jesus there are some whiny cockbags in today.

I used to use Getty day-in day-out as a journo and always enjoyed their year-end highlights. They’re not supposed to be art, they’re taken by news snappers and they’re not claiming to be the best pics in the world ever.

Great pics, thanks for sharing OP.

grum
    Free Member

And yeah, what he said ^^^^

It’s not particularly great ‘art’ but the goal line hockey shot is super cool IMO

newrobdob
    Free Member

I love all those pictures, thanks for sharing. It must be miserable being a photo snob.

jimjam
    Free Member

Urgh. Beautiful photo with perfect lighting and composition – it’s just someone taking a selfie. Incredible action shot which probably took hundreds or thousands of shots to get right, perfect timing, aperature, exposure – oh that’s only possible because of the access granted to the photographer.

OP should just have posted landscapes with “HDR” filters applied.

sirromj

Critique is a fundamental.
    And I like this one from the links above 🙂

joelowden

1x.com always has interesting and provocative photography on it..

joelowden

DezB
    Free Member

Jesus there are some whiny cockbags in today.

Well, they were in last week – today seems much better 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

DrJ

Yeah – I could have taken any of those pictures, if I’d been there, and pointed my camera in the right direction, and pressed the button at the right moment, and thought of it in the first place.

But I didn’t. Which is the whole point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Think you take good photos?’ is closed to new replies.