Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Think the trail gremlins are hiding around on Winter Hill…(vid)
  • GavinB

Thanks to Samuri (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/winter-hill-descent-san-marino-crash I was feeling suitably inspired to get up to Winter Hill this evening and have a little play on the San Marino descent.

[video]http://youtu.be/o54vcF5vrbs[/video]

I’ve ridden here loads. I’ve never crashed. I’ve never had a ‘mechanical’ of any sort. It’s always held a really good vibe for me. First run and my bloody chain falls off about 2/3 way down. Climb back up (sweet climb btw 😉 ) and then on the second run down get a double flat on a double step down. Grrrr 👿

Still had a great ride though, and bumped into loads of other riders up there, enjoying the clear skies and summer sun. 8)

GavinB

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o54vcF5vrbs[/video]

Mmmmm, try again….

samuri
    Free Member

It’s definately a lot smoother with a helmet cam isn’t it? Which is a pity because I really like the perspective a chest cam provides. Nice video though.

FWIW, I can’t remember the last time I had any problems or crashes on this descent but as you’ve found, stick a camera on and it all goes to pot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GavinB

Comparing the two vids, I actually much prefer the perspective that you get on the chest mount cam. When the cam is mounted on the side/top of the helmet, its almost like night riding with just a helmet light – everything gets a little 2D, and it is hard to pick out the terrain. Its also good as you can see what the rider is doing.

Oh, and I have to apologise to anyone else on Winter Hill last night, as the only working mount I have for this camera is the one that clips onto a google strap…I think I probably looked a bit ‘gnar to the max’, or ‘special’ 😀

lowey

Nice vid Gav and a good time too. However, you must be admonished for taking the “wimps cut” 3/4 way down in the quarry. Hang you head in shame.

San Marino was indeed packed last night. Bloody cheek, I never got one single application form to ride on my land. Standards are slipping.

GavinB

😳

Sorry – only spotted that way a few rides ago, when I was climbing back up, otherwise always took the longer line.

The section below that is probably the hardest section to ride fast, as the line swings all over the place, and some of the ruts are DEEP!

You probably can’t hear it, but just as I go past the two guys stood by the track just after the quarry, my chain falls off!

lowey

Yep and the marbles make controlling the bike fun too.

I do know I go on about it, but San Marino really is IMO the best descent this side of the lakes. I never fail to get to the bottom of it without a massive ear to ear grin.

D0NK

Good vid, did you upload the second run? Apologies for riding straight passed you when you flatted, glad to hear my more helpful riding buddies checked you were ok. I can only blame it on the adrenaline, was having a good run 😳

edit lowey if great hill were’nt quite so pedally in the middle it’d pee all over san marino 🙂 but sm is very good

GavinB

Yeah, the run just after I was chatting to you guys is actually the ‘first half’ of the vid. (Around 1:15 is where it swaps)

I actually took an even worse line the first time, through the rutted, double step and ended up way over the left side of the track. So, spotted a better line on the way up (after collecting my chain from the side of the track!) and tried to ride that.

I was basically aiming at a small rock on the approach, trying to pop off that to land on the middle section, to then go straight off the bigger step. Didn’t quite work out though and somehow managed to stick holes in both tyres!

lowey

lowey if great hill were’nt quite so pedally in the middle it’d pee all over san marino

Your a nice guy Dave, but I’m duty bound to tell you that you are talking Poppycock and bollocks.

Great Hill. Fast top section to Drinkwaters… the no flow at all over the ruts bogs and streams.

When do you want the front brake by the way ?

wors

Gavinb was that you on the pig?

I always get the sensation that my back wheel is loose riding the bottom section of San marino.

GavinB

@wors Yup, that was me!

And yup, as Lowey said, the marbles just add to the drifty feeling trying to weave through the ruts on the lower section.

carlos
    Free Member

@ Lowey or anyone for that matter, Whats this “wimps cut” 3/4 the way down in the quarry. I’ve not been up there for ages and can only think its at the 2min mark on the vid. I have been straight on there before but not intentionally and there wasn’t any obvious route/path at the time??

Carl

lowey

Carlos… 2.02… mainlines the right left turn. It is a good section that right left as the recent rain has made it proper rocky with a few small drops.

lowey

Gavin, that was me and Wors you were talking too at the top of Marino mate.

D0NK

the no flow at all over the ruts bogs and streams

Last time I was up there (during the fires) it was bone dry, I had a tailwind and it was very flowy indeed, bottom section rocks too.

Carlos I presume thats the bit lowey refers to, I wouldn’t say it’s really a “wimps cut”/chicken run as it doesn’t cut out any rocky/scary/technical bits, just a faster line….tho some will disagree 🙂

edit

recent rain has made it proper rocky with a few small drops.

I’ve not seen these, might try that line next time I’m there

cp

was the vid sped up?

Great descent, it’s killed two rear mechs for me though 🙁 the second one was a first ride replacement for the old one that got killed!

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers for that Lowey, I was thinking straight on at the first Right where it drops steep to a brook and then back up. I didn’t notice the route taken in the vid was any different to the main track on the first watch, but I see it now.

Like I said its been ages since I was up there, maybe just over a yr.I think I need to revisit Rivi at the weekend and refresh myself with the area.

Carl

lowey

I wouldn’t say it’s really a “wimps cut”/chicken run as it doesn’t cut out any rocky/scary/technical bits

I take it thats the line you took then 😛

I really am going to have to have words with you young man.

D0NK

like I said I haven’t noticed the rocks/drops it always just seemed to be a slightly slower not particularly hard right/left, but if you wanna call me a mincer I’ll take it 🙂

lowey

Your a mincer. When you getting my brake ?

samuri
    Free Member

San Marino was indeed packed last night. Bloody cheek, I never got one single application form to ride on my land. Standards are slipping.

Maybe… if you didn’t keep criticising people’s lines they’d show you a bit more respect. You might own the land but you can’t tell people how to ride it.

Don’t let the nasty man upset you Gavin.

lowey

Your just sore after your lady line on the ICR was exposed for all to see. 😛

**hopes non of these people ever actually ride with me and find out how crap I really am**

MrSparkle

Clash of the Riding Titans! 😆

GavinB

was the vid sped up?

Not deliberately, but there is one section just after I pass the man and woman where I’ve either hit the ‘boost’ button, the bike has really accelerated or the vid has maybe got distorted somehow and sped up slightly.

I’ve never worn goggles riding anywhere round here before, saving them solely for full-face nonsense, but they really help when you get a long, fast run like this to the extent that you don’t get distracted by dust or grit flying about or your eyes watering, which mine do loads at the moment with my hay fever!

Great to meet so many people off here last night all on the same bit of track – that’s really cool.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice video and good to meet you.
    I never do the chicken but much faster to do it that way but I like skidding round the chicane bit tbh.
    You were pretty quite especially considering you were on a hard tail

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Think the trail gremlins are hiding around on Winter Hill…(vid)’ is closed to new replies.