Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Think my Soul might be too small….
  • waller
    Free Member

Just wondering what how tall you are to the frame size you ride? I’ve just set up a medium Soul. I’m 6ft with 34 inch legs.

Got a lot of seat post showing and it feels a bit upright I suppose and feels a bit dead from the chainstays. Saying that I have come from a Chameleon and ride a surly cross check to work. My stem is 70mm.

Have I gone and bought the wrong size frame or is it a case of getting used to it? Or am I just being mental?????

waller
    Free Member

I’ve obviously gone mental… The top tube is longer on the Soul… It just doesn’t feel right. It’ll take time to adjust to it right?

honourablegeorge

I’m 6’1″ on a large Soul with 70mm stem and wouldn’t want it smaller.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Top tube is longer than what?

You’re on the borderline I’d say. You could use a longer stem

Chances are, you’d be better off on a large with a shorter stem

chunkypaul
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ on a large Soul with 70mm stem and wouldn’t want it smaller.

same setup as above – with 120mm reba’s – wouldn’t want it any smaller either

creamegg
    Free Member

What colour frame? I may be interested 😀

waller
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. I have just gone out and had a measure. They appear pretty much the same so I guess it may just be the angle of dangle.

Will do a few rides and see how I get on. Just doesn’t feel as stretched as the chameleon did. Really odd.

It’s custard coloured. I’m going to try to get along with it 🙂

TiRed

I’m 179 cm and ride a 19″ genesis. Top tube is 600, compared with your Soul’s 594. I think yours is a little small. But I preferred a bigger bike as it was similar to the 29er it replaced. I found that mtb sizing is subjective.

waller
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out for a longer stem I think and give that a whirl. Cheaper than a new frame for the time being 😉

scotroutes

What size does Cy recommend for your height? I reckon that the designer of the thing would have a better idea of the size of frame you’d need than some randoms on the internet 😆

honourablegeorge

waller – Member

Will keep an eye out for a longer stem I think and give that a whirl. Cheaper than a new frame for the time being

250 for an 853-framed Prince Albert might just be a cheap way to size up to a similar frame

bullroar
    Free Member

What size does Cy recommend for your height?

If you look at the sizing chart on the Cotic web site, he seems to hedge his bets 🙂

ceepers

He’s pretty happy to give sizing advice by email

5’7 30″ trousers small soul with 50 stem. Love it but not done any rides over 3 hours yet

waller
    Free Member

The website lands me right in the middle of the two. Same problem I have with trousers 🙁 regular length too small, long are too large 🙂

Just ordered a cheap stem to give that a try. Hope it works as its a well put together bit of kit.

ewi1974
    Free Member

I’ve got a large bfe that I run with a 60mm stem and 150mm forks and I find it spot on, not quite the same geo as the soul I know but not far off.
    I’m 5’11” and a half with a 33″ inside leg. 🙂

Scapegoat

I’m just under 6’0″ with 33″ trouser legs, but a shortish trunk/arms and am on a medium Soul. 70mm stem. Seat right back on the markers.

mintimperial

5’10 here on a medium Soul with 70mm stem: fits me perfectly, so I’d maybe expect it to perhaps be a touch short for a six-footer, but I bet you’ll adjust after a few more rides.

waller
    Free Member

Think it probably is just me, I got back really worried I’d gone and cocked up as I normally do. Panicked a bit. I have a few spacers that I will try to take out to lower the front end a tad which might also improve things. I’d be gutted if it was too small. The custard colour and frame have really grown on me. It’s nice not to get shaken to pieces through the legs. Frame is great at deadening the rear impacts… If that makes sense….

Thanks for the info guys, gives me a bit more confidence that it’ll all be ok.

bullroar
    Free Member

If it helps, most people who sit on my BFe find the position a bit odd at first and say things like “it is a bit sit up and beg”. Point it down a hill, it’ll makes sense.

ceepers

I know the steel feel is a bit over hyped but I genuinely noticed a big difference in ride smoothness from the soul to the genesis core alu frame it replaced. Seems to be a perfect choice for where I live, least til I can convince the OH I need a full sus as well!

matt_outandabout

6′, 33″ legs and normal arms – on a Med Sanderson 597mm tt (3mm longer than a Soul) and 70mm stem. Feels OK to me, and :

Comrie Croft pump jump track by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

waller
    Free Member

Bullroar – that’s the feeling I got from it. Like the bars needed to be about an inch further forward. The Chameleon would kill the back of my legs over a longer distance. I’m on the South Downs so tend to pootle along rather than jumping off stuff which is why I thought the chameleon was a bit overbuilt for the purpose 🙂 made me look good though 🙂 a rare thing these days.

Got a 90mm stem on its way to team up with flat bars. Crossed fingers and I’m obviously going to have to increase my weekly ride intake 🙂

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

What size does Cy recommend for your height? I reckon that the designer of the thing would have a better idea of the size of frame you’d need than some randoms on the internet 

No offence Cy btw 🙂

When trying to decide between a L & a XL, I asked Cy’s advice as he is also 6′ 3″

He reckoned I should go for a L, but in the end i decided on an XL – Im glad I did – definitely wouldn’t want it any smaller!

vorlich
    Free Member

6’1″, large Soul. 50 mm stem. Had 70mm before which was a better fit, but I prefer the handling with the 50mm. I have another bike for long days in the saddle.

mrmoofo

depends if you like ’em small, or not so small
    6ft 3ins, way to many kgs, – large, with a 70mm stem.

I actually feel it is a bit small for me – loads of post showing, and about 3cms of spacers under the stem. So might be going xl solaris soon

Depends if you like arse in the air , hands by yer ankles riding ….

waller
    Free Member

Just found this post

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-soul-what-size-do-you-ride-and-how-tall-are-you

Going to have a look through.

Appreciate the input. Nothing quite like thinking you’ve gone for the wrong one (albeit 2nd hand)

Speshpaul

just a thought, what width bars are you using? a wider bar would bring you further forward.

large soul, 6ft, 33in isl, 60mm stem 680mm wide bars, here.

waller
    Free Member

Running some V1’s think sunline or straight line or something. Saddle is on a Thomson layback post, can’t remember how I’ve set the saddle up so will have a play around tomorrow lowering and moving stuff about.

brooess
    Free Member

181cm tall here (5’11) with 33 inside leg and medium soul with 70mm stem.
    Spot on for me.
    A couple of setup options Cy recommended to me:
    1. Stem right down to the top of the headtube for quicker steering
    2. Layback seatpost

I would play around with setup before you worry too much…

MrGreedy

6’0″, 33″ inside leg. Happy on my large Soul and probably wouldn’t want smaller, but there are lots of variables so YMMV.

mildred

Im 5’11” I’ve had both a medium & large and the medium felt way too small.

br
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why folk buy frames based upon height, when its the length of your arms/legs that ought to really be the defining measurements.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Medium Soda… 6ft and it’s perfect for me

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Think my Soul might be too small….’ is closed to new replies.